Stuck between a rock & hard place!

Dennic

Hi all, just after a little advice please

we might have to return back to London at the end of next year so looking at December 2016 Jan 2017

we have found that selling property from oz is hard, so have decided to return so we can get both property's ready and sold.

now my biggest problem is.......

my oldest child would be going into year 10 in February 2017 so would have already missed 3 months of year 10 in uk because they start the new school year in sept so my question is

will he be able catch up to sit gcse?

will missing year 10 in oz be a problem in the long run for him?

can he come back and go into year 11?

I am so worried that we are going to end up messing his education up has anyone had a child go into uk year 10 from oz

All help is needed and welcomed :)

I know its not ideal but could just one of you go back to sort out the property sales ? Or all of you but 1 returns with your son for the school start in January. I think alot will boil to your child and their attitude to learning, my son 'doesn't agree' with school,lol, he pretty much bummed Yr 9 , 10 and 11 but has got back on track to graduate Yr 12 in a few weeks, albeit not with glorious grades, so it is possible to catch up, IF the child is willing to put in the effort. I would be worried about missing an entire year incase school requests it is re-done ,hence putting them a year behind their friends of the same age group.

Cal x

we might have to return back to London at the end of next year so looking at December 2016 Jan 2017

we have found that selling property from oz is hard, so have decided to return so we can get both property's ready and sold.

my oldest child would be going into year 10 in February 2017 so would have already missed 3 months of year 10 in uk because they start the new school year in sept so my question is

I am so worried that we are going to end up messing his education up has anyone had a child go into uk year 10 from oz

Why do you need to return to sell your houses? We have just sold ours form Oz and it was relatively easy. The house had tenants in which were the main obstacle but we were able to liaise with our agent every evening after viewings and during offer negotiation. It was pretty stressful due to the tenants not allowing access all the time but it was a lot easier than all the upheaval of moving back and we exchanged and completed within 8 weeks.

I appreciate everyone's situ is different but it is not a daunting as you think selling from the other side of the world!

Good luck :-)

We had sold subject to contracts way back in June when our tenants moved out (they also didn't allow any one in till they moved out) we was told it was a cash buyer ready to go.....

after constant messing about on their part 4 and half months (empty and us having to pay mortgage and council tax) they pulled out on the day of completion (pissed off big time) that was Friday just gone, Saturday hubby gave it over to a friend that owns a letting agency so will now be rented again, he is so angry with the whole thing and being so far made it difficult with getting people to answer phones/emails that he has now decided that he wants us to move back for a year to do up both properties and sell them at the same time

At first I was over the moon with this idea as I've had a feeling of wanting to return but now on reflection my children's education is most important

I found out that uk year 10 sit exams and a lot of course work goes towards the grades so my son won't have time to do all the work that goes towards the gcse

Might have to get him to hold off for an extra year before deciding

lol my head is in stress mode

We have just put ours on the market through a local estate agent, but it is going on an online auction. You set a. Reserve fee and it doesn't sell until it reaches that figure. The buyer pays the fees, you just pay for the legal pack which is around £250. Plus the buyer has to pay a reserve fee so they are far less likely to pull out. The exchange and completion dates are set too so you know when it will go through.

Is that an option you could look at, because even if you are in the UK a buyer may pull out again.

Also I am pretty sure you can reduce your council tax if the property is empty for up to a year.

QUOTE=Dennic;1936850571]We had sold subject to contracts way back in June when our tenants moved out (they also didn't allow any one in till they moved out) we was told it was a cash buyer ready to go.....

after constant messing about on their part 4 and half months (empty and us having to pay mortgage and council tax) they pulled out on the day of completion (pissed off big time) that was Friday just gone, Saturday hubby gave it over to a friend that owns a letting agency so will now be rented again, he is so angry with the whole thing and being so far made it difficult with getting people to answer phones/emails that he has now decided that he wants us to move back for a year to do up both properties and sell them at the same time

At first I was over the moon with this idea as I've had a feeling of wanting to return but now on reflection my children's education is most important

I found out that uk year 10 sit exams and a lot of course work goes towards the grades so my son won't have time to do all the work that goes towards the gcse

Might have to get him to hold off for an extra year before deciding

lol my head is in stress mode

He'll probably learn a lot more moving countries and re-adapting than he ever would in some school. I wouldn't give it a second though- it is not year 12 . Even if he doesn't get the course he wants later he can always change courses after a year at uni- easy peasy these days.

Words escape me.

Thanks for the info I'll have a look into that,

as for council tax we've been on the phone to them and they stopped any discounts, you have to pay the monthly tax regardless so that's an extra £175 a month, hopefully it will be rented out asap and we can look into the online auction :)

If one of you goes back rather than all of you, it will enable to to set up the sale, and then give you two more options to return if you need, plus there will be little in the way of accommodation expenses. I think one of you should be there to set up the sale, check out the market, make sure the price is reasonable etc. ( much of this can be done initially online). But you don't need to be there for most of the process.

Also,cdepending on where it is, sales in my village are currently taking three days. Everything is gone as soon as it hits the market. That is south east.

To take your kids out of school and disrupt their education just before going into their final two years is madness. If you were moving back that is another thing. But just for a house sale? I think you should reconsider.

Edited by newjez

Where are you going to "stay"? If you're planning on making Aus your long term future then you have wriggle room - as long as your kids are in Aus ready to start year 11 at the beginning of the academic year then anything before that is irrelevant - be here, there or Timbuctu if you like.

If your long term plan is for UK then they should start the academic year that begins the GCSE merrygoround and stay until A levels are done - in this case, no wriggle room but make the decision one way or the other.

I'd be inclined to think that it only takes one of you to get properties into shape for sale so if you plan on staying in Aus the whole family doesn't need to return.

Im with Newjez - around here houses are lucky to last out the day before being snapped up (South East) so it all depends where you are as to how quick they move. Unless, of course, you put a silly price on them.

Are you looking to stay in the UK or return to Australia?

Our eldest moved from the end of year 9 in Aus to one term into year 10 in the UK. She had some catching up to do with the courses, but was fine.

GCSEs are different now. Most are linear courses - no coursework as such and no year 10 exams (for most subjects), so if he's not staying for year 11 it doesn't matter anyway.

If you're staying for year 11, I wouldn't worry too much, there should be time for him to catch up especially if you can keep the number of GCSEs he takes down to 9 or 10 so he has time (free periods) where he can work independently.

Hello....if you plan on staying in the UK permanently I would get your child back here to start year 10......a lot of the GCSE have course work that goes towards their grades and you child will need the full 2 years to achieve their potential.....they can then decide on what if any A levels they move on too or further education.....I don't think it will be wise or fair on your child to drop them into their GCSE's a quarter of the way through the 2 years.....IMO

Hi there - my daughter left her school in Australia at the end of Year 10 (2014), then had a couple of weeks of school before Christmas in the UK as a year 11 student, and took her GCSEs earlier this year (May/June). She did a reduced number and had some study periods. It was a lot of work, but she did really well and got accepted into her first choice of A level courses at the sixth form college. We were lucky that the school was very supportive of her. It was a gamble, but luckily for her it has worked out really well and she loves life here in the UK.

We had decided to return for a year or two spend some extra time with family and so on, we've all had a chat and if we go back before his year 10 then that would be sept 2016.

But before our final decision we will look into all of your information so thank you all for giving food for thought

we've already sorted work for husband and would be moving back into our house so basically slipping back into old life so our only worry is the education. Our properties are on the out skirts of London so we feel if we're there we can get things done quicker, but also on the other side of that coin will be if the kids (and myself) want to come back to oz lol