help required for job hunt

ravian611

Guys, i am looking forward to start my search for visa sponsored job in accountancy field. But i am confused where to start from. Please guide where i can start my search from. any specific websites or forum to help out. Thanks

There is no need for any company to sponsor accountants, they are two thousand a penny. You should look into skilled migration before it is pulled from the occupations list due to the level of over supply in Australia.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed unnecessary comment.

Australia has an oversupply of accountants at the moment so gaining sponsorship would be unlikely.

On the flip side, accounting is one of the occupations in which no post qualification experience is required and so in some ways an easier skills assessment. Have you considered a permanent skills based visa?

Currently i am completing accountancy degree i.e. Chartered accountancy (Pakistan). After that i will be meeting the points criteria i.e. 65 but the point i am more willing for sponsorship is that to come to new place with no job in sight would be bit risky. On other hand, in start if i can secure a "not so well off" job temporarily, it would be win win for me to settle in and search for betterment. What do you guys suggest and are there any recruiters who can help out in finding out suitable job ?

Currently i am completing accountancy degree i.e. Chartered accountancy (Pakistan). After that i will be meeting the points criteria i.e. 65 but the point i am more willing for sponsorship is that to come to new place with no job in sight would be bit risky. On other hand, in start if i can secure a "not so well off" job temporarily, it would be win win for me to settle in and search for betterment. What do you guys suggest and are there any recruiters who can help out in finding out suitable job ?

More willing for sponsorship?

You must remember that for the employer, sponsoring someone is a PITA compared to hiring someone who already has full working rights (e.g. subclass 189)

Put yourself in the employers shoes. You have 2 potential candidates for a job:

1) Person 1 requires you to deal with the legal side, ensuring that you've placed an ad for X months and can't find anyone local, deal with sponsorship paperwork, agree to fly the potential employee home if things don't work out, etc.

2) Person 2: none of the above crap.

If it's an option, definately go for your own skilled visa.

Sorry, but from personal experience even after you've got the visa recruiters are unwilling to do anything until you've actually arrived in Oz - and they're not much more use after you've arrived either.

If you really want a job before moving your best bet would be to get a job with an international firm in your home country (make sure they have offices in Australia obviously) and once you've secured your visa ask them for a transfer. If they see you've got the visa they'll realise they're going to lose you anyway but may be happy to keep you within the group. Obviously the more staff (and hence potential vacancies) they have in Australia the more likely this is to succeed.

Currently i am completing accountancy degree i.e. Chartered accountancy (Pakistan). After that i will be meeting the points criteria i.e. 65 but the point i am more willing for sponsorship is that to come to new place with no job in sight would be bit risky.

Yes, of course it is more risky to come to a new country without a job, but that is what most of us do. It is very difficult to find an employer before you arrive in Australia.

You will find agencies who will offer to find you a job before you arrive, but most of them are scams. If they want you to pay them money to find the job, they are definitely a scam.

I think your biggest problem is lack of experience. You are just completing your degree, that is not enough - you will need several years of experience to prove your ability before you can qualify to migrate.

Yes, of course it is more risky to come to a new country without a job, but that is what most of us do. It is very difficult to find an employer before you arrive in Australia.

You will find agencies who will offer to find you a job before you arrive, but most of them are scams. If they want you to pay them money to find the job, they are definitely a scam.

I think your biggest problem is lack of experience. You are just completing your degree, that is not enough - you will need several years of experience to prove your ability before you can qualify to migrate.

I am currently affiliated with PwC (Big 4), having around 3.5 years experience. so i think that's not an issue.

Sorry, but from personal experience even after you've got the visa recruiters are unwilling to do anything until you've actually arrived in Oz - and they're not much more use after you've arrived either.

If you really want a job before moving your best bet would be to get a job with an international firm in your home country (make sure they have offices in Australia obviously) and once you've secured your visa ask them for a transfer. If they see you've got the visa they'll realise they're going to lose you anyway but may be happy to keep you within the group. Obviously the more staff (and hence potential vacancies) they have in Australia the more likely this is to succeed.

So what you are suggesting is that i should apply for skilled based visa after completing required points , and once i have secured it, i should apply for job, as i will be on my own and no one will have to sponsor me. Is it ?

I am currently affiliated with PwC but unfortunately PwC Pakistan is not offering Global mobility like other offices.

As others have said, there seems to be an overabundance of accounting professionals in Australia. A year ago we had an 8-month maternity leave contract advertised and got more than 130 applications with a majority of them appearing to be recent migrants looking for a job.

Getting your own visa first would give you a much better chance of landing a job in Australia. Perhaps with a visa you could apply with PWC in Australia, and even if you aren't offered a relocation package, the fact that you have internal company experience may give you an advantage over local candidates.

As others have said, there seems to be an overabundance of accounting professionals in Australia. A year ago we had an 8-month maternity leave contract advertised and got more than 130 applications with a majority of them appearing to be recent migrants looking for a job.

Getting your own visa first would give you a much better chance of landing a job in Australia. Perhaps with a visa you could apply with PWC in Australia, and even if you aren't offered a relocation package, the fact that you have internal company experience may give you an advantage over local candidates.

Good advice. :)

Thanks for guidance. I was checking out immigration website the other day, i came across EOI (Expression of interest). What i gathered was that you submit your skillset on immigration website and if you are selected, you will be contacted. and more importantly it is free of charge. Is it so ? I am asking this with reference to one of my friends who has got 12 13 years industry (post qualification) experience in the same field. Can he submit his skill set there without any harm or charges ?

Thanks for guidance. I was checking out immigration website the other day, i came across EOI (Expression of interest). What i gathered was that you submit your skillset on immigration website and if you are selected, you will be contacted. and more importantly it is free of charge. Is it so ? I am asking this with reference to one of my friends who has got 12 13 years industry (post qualification) experience in the same field. Can he submit his skill set there without any harm or charges ?

Yes and no. There is no charge for submitting an EOI, but he needs a skills assessment and if he needs an English assessment such as ILETS, that needs to be done before the EOI

I think you might find that your pre qualification experience will not count when applying for a visa.

It all depends on when a person becomes qualified for Australian immigration purposes. I don't how it works in Pakistan but in the UK if you have an accountancy degree it takes a further 3 years to become a Chartered Accountant. For those 3 years you're an unqualified accountant (in the view of those in the UK). However in Australia a person with an accounting degree is considered to be a qualified accountant and consequently those 3 years are considered to be post-qualification experience for Australian immigration purposes even though they're pre-qualification from a UK perspective. Of course a lot of UK accountants have a non-accounting degree and they are viewed differently.