Old age pensioner

Squiffy

Hi

My husband has been offered a position in Sydney with a 457 visa. I am overwhelmed with all the info we have to get before we can even plan our move e.g. schools for our kids (12 and 14), but most especially whether my Father who lives with us would qualify for any kind of visa at the age of 81? My brother lives in Sydney too so his only relatives would be in Australia.

I think he's happy to stay, but just want to cover all eventualities.

Any advice on anything right now would be really welcome!!

Thanks

S

Squiffy, the first thing I need to check is whether you understand what a 457 visa is.

It's a temp contract. It's NOT a way to migrate to Australia permanently. At the end of the temp contract, the employer has to pay to fly you back home to the UK again.

Sometimes, the employer will say that at the end of two years, if your husband is a good worker, they'll sponsor you for PR (permanent residency). However, there's no guarantee - if the company goes through a bad patch, or your husband falls out with his boss, they can decide NOT to sponsor you - and in that case, you'll have to go back to the UK, because you'll have no legal right to stay in Australia.

So, the first thing you need to decide is whether you can afford to move your whole family over for just a couple of years. As a temporary resident, you'll be charged school fees for the children and won't be eligible for any benefits.

You certainly wouldn't be able to bring your father over while you're on the 457 visa as you have no permanent visa yourself. If you do get sponsorship from the employer, once it's all approved then you may be able to sponsor your father to come out and live with you, but the fee for his visa is currently $50,000 (and will probably go up by the time you're able to apply).

Thanks for such a quick reply, the visa is for 4 years apparently and on the balance of things we have decided it is something we have to try. We thought that with my brother being a citizen we would be able to apply for residency for my Dad through him? He's effectively be a dependent. The $50,000 was something we were not aware of.

With regards the school fees, can you give me any more info on that please?

Thanks for such a quick reply, the visa is for 4 years apparently and on the balance of things we have decided it is something we have to try. We thought that with my brother being a citizen we would be able to apply for residency for my Dad through him? He's effectively be a dependent. The $50,000 was something we were not aware of.

If your brother is a citizen then HE would have to be the sponsor. You also need to be aware that when your father moves, his British state pension would be frozen and he would get no further increases in the rate, nor any allowances. So he would need to have some other means of support to live comfortably - especially in Sydney which is by far the most expensive city in Australia.

The visa is for a maximum of four years, but actually if the work ends for any reason, then you will need to leave with 90 days notice. At. The end of the four years, if you have not lined up any other visa, you will need to leave. Do you have a long term plan? The children are at a difficult age regarding education to be swapping between the different systems.

School fees are about $5k per year per child in NSW. If the elder one fancies university after high school it would be international fees in Australia due to the 457 but also international fees in the UK because s/he will not have been residing in the UK. It could put university out of reach.

As for your father, yes your citizen brother could sponsor him for a parent visa if there are just the two of you. He would need to pass a medical and the fees is as mentioend already.

Might be worth pointing out also that your Husband may well be able to qualify for a Perminant Visa , has he looked into that? It's a far better option with two teenagers in tow.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, lots to think about - some stuff we knew already, others very useful.

We have done some homework ourselves and as we live in of the most expensive cities in the world (worst than Sydney), the finance side isn't a huge concern. We are more concerned about education for our kids. The plan is to apply for a permanent visa after 2 years.

Very overwhelming but we have our feet firmly on the ground.

Appreciate your support.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, lots to think about - some stuff we knew already, others very useful.

We have done some homework ourselves and as we live in of the most expensive cities in the world (worst than Sydney), the finance side isn't a huge concern. We are more concerned about education for our kids. The plan is to apply for a permanent visa after 2 years.

Appreciate your support.

When you say you plan to apply for permanent visa what qualifications do you have to base that application on ? Is your job on the wanted list ?

Appreciate your support.

Why would you wait two years to apply for a permanent visa? If you qualify why would you not apply for it straight away?

I don't want to be presumptuous. But a lot of people think that there is a visa that they magically qualify after two years, but it simply is not true.

Because the company is sponsoring the 457 now and we wish to do the employer transition route after 2 years. We have our feet on the ground, are well travelled and have my brother and his wife there who have been through it.

it is really advice on schooling etc that we are looking for as my brother's son is grown up.

Thanks

Because the company is sponsoring the 457 now and we wish to do the employer transition route after 2 years. We have our feet on the ground, are well travelled and have my brother and his wife there who have been through it.

it is really advice on schooling etc that we are looking for as my brother's son is grown up.

Thanks

Well there is no guarantee of a transition to a permanent visa, this is a gamble pure and simple.

You have had advice on schooling. Fees will be about $5k a year. Your children may be flip flopping between systems and could also be subject to international university fees in both Australia and the UK on the account of this adventure. Was there anything more specific about syllabus etc that you are looking for?

There are no guarantees in anything though are there, and to refer to this as an adventure is very unfair. You don't know me or my circumstances, I asked for advice, but to be honest it is more negative than constructive.

thanks anyway

There are no guarantees in anything though are there, and to refer to this as an adventure is very unfair. You don't know me or my circumstances, I asked for advice, but to be honest it is more negative than constructive.

thanks anyway

You might think the advice is negative but many families have had 457 visas fail and been left with a terrible situation. We are only offering you all the pitfalls etc. Plus it's not a certain path to get PR all sorts of things could go wrong in the two years. What if the occupation gets removed from the wanted list? What if the employer changes their mind and decides not sponsor the transition or withdraws the 457? The company goes bust? This forum has many stories of these things happening. Personally i wouldn't do it without a PR visa particulalrly with children of the age yours are. But i'm risk adverse. Good luck

I moved to Oz with a 14 year old and a 17 year old. We started on a 457 and then got a permanent visa after 2 years. What you want is doable. It will be hard frustrating and draining but when you're in the sunshine picking your kids up from a great school it's worth it! One of my kids is very academic and I think that helped him adapt very quickly. It is really just if you think your kids are smart enough to quickly adapt to the new schools. I think this thread has actually been quite negative and I hope it hasn't discouraged you!

I moved to Oz with a 14 year old and a 17 year old. We started on a 457 and then got a permanent visa after 2 years. What you want is doable. It will be hard frustrating and draining but when you're in the sunshine picking your kids up from a great school it's worth it! One of my kids is very academic and I think that helped him adapt very quickly. It is really just if you think your kids are smart enough to quickly adapt to the new schools. I think this thread has actually been quite negative and I hope it hasn't discouraged you!

There has been nothing negative in this thread at all. No one has said it isn't doable. How can you know whether the OP's kids will be in a great school ? And picking them up in the sunshine isn't the be all and end all.

thanks anyway

I am just not sure what you are after the to be honest Squiffy. Your thread title and initial post was about a parent moving and you have received suitable comments on that. Then you have asked about moving teenagers and have received the facts on that too.

Some people honestly do think that moving to a permanent visa two years after a 457 visa is automatic, it is the most common misconception we ever see on here and so I have sought to pre empt any possible misconceptions on that too. My apologies that you were indeed already aware of the uncertainty, many people are not so well informed as yourself.

If you were looking for validation on the wisdom of moving two teenagers on a temporary visa, well some might do that because it worked out for them, but others can see the pitfalls and you will find both viewpoints raised on a forum.

I am just not sure what you are after the to be honest Squiffy. Your thread title and initial post was about a parent moving and you have received suitable comments on that. Then you have asked about moving teenagers and have received the facts on that too.

Some people honestly do think that moving to a permanent visa two years after a 457 visa is automatic, it is the most common misconception we ever see on here and so I have sought to pre empt any possible misconceptions on that too. My apologies that you were indeed already aware of the uncertainty, many people are not so well informed as yourself.

If you were looking for validation on the wisdom of moving two teenagers on a temporary visa, well some might do that because it worked out for them, but others can see the pitfalls and you will find both viewpoints raised on a forum.

I have seen too many people have to leave Australia through their 457 ending. They were not able, despite considerable effort, to extend their visa or move to PR. I have had a number of students who have had the stressful situation of watching their parents struggle and finally have to leave the country.

It is really important to remember that the 457 is a temporary visa, nothing more. It may lead to PR, but then it has every chance of not doing so.

@Squiffy In regards to a visa for your Dad, I would have a chat with a migration agent to explore all his options especially if he has any medical issues. You can do all the research yourself but you are probably pressed for time. Considering his age there could be cheaper options than paying $50k but with it's own set of *catches*. Just so you know, the current processing time for the $50k visa is about 18+ months.

@Alan Collett and @wrussell regularly contribute here

I agree people aren't being negative, just making sure you're in possession of all the facts.

It's great that the 457 route worked for your brother, but don't assume that because it worked for him, it's always successful. It's a risky path to migration - far more risky than applying for a permanent visa now, and more expensive in the long run. There are many things that can and do go wrong. People take the 457 route because they have no other option: if you have a choice, especially with children to think about, then being patient and applying for PR is a far more secure proposition.

@Squiffy In regards to a visa for your Dad, I would have a chat with a migration agent to explore all his options especially if he has any medical issues. You can do all the research yourself but you are probably pressed for time. Considering his age there could be cheaper options than paying $50k but with it's own set of *catches*. Just so you know, the current processing time for the $50k visa is about 18+ months.

@Alan Collett and @wrussell regularly contribute here

I advise 457 applicants to at least take advice about preparing to be able to lodge a PR application independently of their nominating employer, or with employer nomination. They rarely do, until they find themselves with 90 days to find another employer, or leave Australia. Some employers (as a matter of policy) never sponsor 457 employees for PR and others abandon this intention if there is a failure of business conditions; or for a variety of other reasons.

In the current climate (increasing 457 refusals) I could offer profound advice about the advantage of running PR and 457 simultaneously and I would, but I am going fishing today.

Archived