Snake Repellent.

Tina2

Hi Tina

I hate snakes myself too and had 3 'encounters' in the first 4 months of arriving in Brisbane! I have been told by locals if you have a red bellied black around its a good thing as they kill brown snakes!….the lesser of two evils, what an option!

That is correct. We had a small farm in NSW and breed Alpaca. We had a red bellied Black living in the pump shed. They are pretty passive and one snake I dont mind because they will chase Brown Snakes out of the area. We never had a death from snake bite in the herd unlike many other local breeders. I could walk past it ( well it was about 20 foot away from me and it would either slither away or just watch and ignore me. Brown Snakes are a very different matter, they are very agressive and scare the you know what out of me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tina when my mum got older she developed a real fear of snakes. Party I think because the number of snakes increased significantly when you stopped being allowed to kill them. Dad bought really close meshed wire stuff (like the stuff people use around chicken coops to keep snakes out) and re-fenced their property. It was a big job because the posts need to be quite close together and the mesh stuff needs to be run in a trench at least a foot deep but it appeared to work. The neighbours still see snakes but dad stopped seeing them at his place.

Not exactly! A red bellied black will eat a smaller brown snake nd even it's own species, just as a mature brown can eat a smaller red bellied

276730-3x2-340x227.jpg

Have seen this happen a few times in the New England Ranges, northern NSW, redbellies eating tiger snakes.

Am surprised that @bristolman considers it 'an old wives' tale' considering "40 years" of handling snakes.

Eric Worrell, founder of the Gosford Reptile Park in NSW and foremost snake expert in Australia states that redbellies eat "frogs, lizards, mice, rats and other snakes"

Cheers, Bobj.

Have seen this happen a few times in the New England Ranges, northern NSW, redbellies eating tiger snakes.

Am surprised that @bristolman considers it 'an old wives' tale' considering "40 years" of handling snakes.

Eric Worrell, founder of the Gosford Reptile Park in NSW and foremost snake expert in Australia states that redbellies eat "frogs, lizards, mice, rats and other snakes"

Cheers, Bobj.

Were did I say Red Bellied Black's don't eat other snakes ? Nowhere. I was replying to the belief that they keep Brown Snakes away which is as I said an old wives tale. Look at the quote in my post :)

Edited by bristolman

The average person will have very little interaction with snakes unless they try to kill them and then they deserve what they get.

Not so sure about that, finding one in the sand dunes on the gold coast is a bit of a concern. Of course man is clearing there habitat for housing so they are looking for food, water and a new home, as are many of our wildlife.

Not so sure about that, finding one in the sand dunes on the gold coast is a bit of a concern. Of course man is clearing there habitat for housing so they are looking for food, water and a new home, as are many of our wildlife.

Beaches are a favourite place for snakes unfortunately as it brings gs them into conflict with humans and it rarely ends well for the snake.

The problem is we are clearing more and more land for houses and that just pushes the snakes and other animals out.

Beaches are a favourite place for snakes unfortunately as it brings gs them into conflict with humans and it rarely ends well for the snake.

The problem is we are clearing more and more land for houses and that just pushes the snakes and other animals out.

Agreed then the animals all move into the few areas left and then they are killed due to over population. Very sad really

Were did I say Red Bellied Black's don't eat other snakes ? Nowhere. I was replying to the belief that they keep Brown Snakes away which is as I said an old wives tale. Look at the quote in my post :)

It was your reply to another post relating to redbellies killing other snakes.

"

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Simonrbh viewpost-right.png

Hi Tina

I hate snakes myself too and had 3 'encounters' in the first 4 months of arriving in Brisbane! I have been told by locals if you have a red bellied black around its a good thing as they kill brown snakes!….the lesser of two evils, what an optionarrow-10x10.png!

Another old wives tale. "

Cheers, Bobj.

It was your reply to another post relating to redbellies killing other snakes.

"

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Simonrbh viewpost-right.png

Hi Tina

I hate snakes myself too and had 3 'encounters' in the first 4 months of arriving in Brisbane! I have been told by locals if you have a red bellied black around its a good thing as they kill brown snakes!….the lesser of two evils, what an optionarrow-10x10.png!

Another old wives tale. "

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes it was the belief that one would keep the others away, they wont.

There is no real deterrent. However, when I was in Tanzania, we had a major issue with venomous snakes coming into camp with about 3 per day - the area we were has the highest density of snakes in the world. The puff adders being the worst as they don't move away when approached and lay on paths to which they are well camouflaged.

What we ended up doing on the advice of professional snake people from Johannesburg Zoo was putting a fine mesh material fence around the camp. It has to have the bottom buried into the ground by at least 12 inches as a lot of snakes can burrow. It needs to be at least 1.5 meters high and the posts on the inside of the mesh. It wont guarantee a snake free environment, but it took our incidence down from 3 a day to about 1 a month.

There is no real deterrent. However, when I was in Tanzania, we had a major issue with venomous snakes coming into camp with about 3 per day - the area we were has the highest density of snakes in the world. The puff adders being the worst as they don't move away when approached and lay on paths to which they are well camouflaged.

What we ended up doing on the advice of professional snake people from Johannesburg Zoo was putting a fine mesh material fence around the camp. It has to have the bottom buried into the ground by at least 12 inches as a lot of snakes can burrow. It needs to be at least 1.5 meters high and the posts on the inside of the mesh. It wont guarantee a snake free environment, but it took our incidence down from 3 a day to about 1 a month.

The island of Guam actually has the highest density of snakes in the world but that's splitting hairs lol

I agree though, the only 'deterrant' is an actual physical barrier.

Snakes BURROW ??????? !!!!!!!!! Oh dear I had no idea of that either.

We do have dense shade cloth across the back fence just to stop our dog barking at the dog behinds us so hoping that may put off the snake if he has easier access to "someone elses yard"