Snake Repellent.

Tina2

The next door neighbour had a "large" brown snake in there yard today. They called the snake catcher but as it had gone into a pile of bricks they have stored along "our" boundary fence the snake catcher didn't want to disturb it !?

Really worried it will come into our yard and we have a small dog who will chase anything that moves.

Has anyone out there tried using any of the Snake repellents on the market ? I know there are solar type ones to sit in the garden and something called shoo snake. Some people say they don't work others say they work but that could just be someone who is associated with the maker of these products.

Would love to hear if anyone on here has used one. Our yard is large but kept well mowed and no junk lying around.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard the solar type repellents are rubbish, but if it really concerns you then give them a go. Of late i have seen a herbal 'spray bottle' type repellent 'recipe' going around on Facebook, if i come across again i will post it for you , although i have no idea how effective it is or if your garden is small enough to spray but its worth a try. I hope it has slithered off in the opposite direction and your little dog stays safe.

Cal x

King browns equals yikes!!! :elvis:

Never heard of such a thing as snake repellant. LOL

where do you live?

About 20 minuets north west of Toowoomba CBD. Not isolated lots of houses around. No idea where it came from but it has me worried.

No, there are no snake repellant that work. The best you can do is make your garden less attractive to snakes, don't leave things lying around that they can shelter under such as sheets of iron or timber.

Thanks, very aware of that but what do you do when the neighbours stack all there unused bricks on there side of the boundary wire mesh fence and I am talking a "lot" of bricks. The last thing we want is a disagreement with neighbours. I did suggest today they might want to sell them but sadly they are sure they will want them as "some point"

Do you know anything about "shoo snake" I have seen the solar ones but have no idea what shoo snake even is. Did some googling and someone even suggested boiling cloves in water and mixing with detergent and spraying it along the fence line. Not sure what to do. Dont even know if it is likely to hang around and decide that this is now its new home or if it will simply "move on"

They are all old wives tales, there are no chemicals or sprays or solar gizmos that will keep snakes away. All you can do is be careful and reduce the chances of a snake entering your property. Just remember that snakes do far more good than harm and importantly 95% of bites occur when people try to catch or kill a snake. If you see a snake DO NOT try to shoo it away with a stick or broom, call a snake relocator.

They are all old wives tales, there are no chemicals or sprays or solar gizmos that will keep snakes away. All you can do is be careful and reduce the chances of a snake entering your property. Just remember that snakes do far more good than harm and importantly 95% of bites occur when people try to catch or kill a snake. If you see a snake DO NOT try to shoo it away with a stick or broom, call a snake relocator.

Oh trust me I have NO intention of going anywhere near the snake LOL. I know they are dangerous, it is the little dog that worries me. We normally give him free access to the garden when we are out, but for the moment I think he is going to get locked in the house.

Ive heard the solar type repellents are rubbish, but if it really concerns you then give them a go. Of late i have seen a herbal 'spray bottle' type repellent 'recipe' going around on Facebook, if i come across again i will post it for you , although i have no idea how effective it is or if your garden is small enough to spray but its worth a try. I hope it has slithered off in the opposite direction and your little dog stays safe.

Cal x

Thanks Cal

Would appreciate that. We are on 1/2 acre . I have even heard people are trying the mesh that goes around bails of hay and attaching that to fences but I am sure they would just slither under the bottom of the fence. I have my first aid kit now sitting on the kitchen bench - just in case LOL.

Thanks Cal

Would appreciate that. We are on 1/2 acre . I have even heard people are trying the mesh that goes around bails of hay ...

There is a mesh called Mouse and Snake Mesh (very small diameter) which is used for aviaries, chook sheds etc. but it's a difficult problem if you have a large area to cover. It's sold here by Bunnings.

They are attracted to water so don't leave the dog's bowl or any other water outside.

I have heard some users swear by the snake repellers which pulse a vibration through the ground...and others not so. Their success may depend on the strength and charging of their batteries.

Just put snake repeller's into Youtube, the problem is people put them in and don't see a snake and assume it is because of the snake repeller. They don't work and in fact they lull people into a false sense of security. My mother bought a spider repeller and a few weeks later commented on the fact that she sees half as many spiders, I pointed out that if it was working she wouldn't be seeing any spiders.

I don't need to put anything into Youtube. I'll rely on the firsthand trials and observations of people working in the area.

I wasn't referring to you but whatever. It wouldn't be right for me to recommend something that very clearly doesn't work. 40 years of experience with keeping, breeding, catching and studying snakes has taught me a few things. A fool and his money are easily parted.

The next door neighbour had a "large" brown snake in there yard today. They called the snake catcher but as it had gone into a pile of bricks they have stored along "our" boundary fence the snake catcher didn't want to disturb it !?

Really worried it will come into our yard and we have a small dog who will chase anything that moves.

Has anyone out there tried using any of the Snake repellents on the market ? I know there are solar type ones to sit in the garden and something called shoo snake. Some people say they don't work others say they work but that could just be someone who is associated with the maker of these products.

Would love to hear if anyone on here has used one. Our yard is large but kept well mowed and no junk lying around.

For heavens sake don't let the dog anywhere near it ...dead in minutes.....cats do very well though

No, there are no snake repellant that work. The best you can do is make your garden less attractive to snakes, don't leave things lying around that they can shelter under such as sheets of iron or timber.

I know that you consider yourself to be an expert on reptiles but I disagree based, I have to admit, on purely anecdotal evidence.. The repellants that don't work are invariably because they are the wrong repellent for the soil composition. A mate of mine lives near North Pine dam on acreage. He was regularly visited by many species of snake and even had chooks go missing supposedly to non poisonous pythons. He installed a Sentinal system and hasn't lost a chook since or seen a snake. His mate, half a k away, installed the same system on his recommendation and was still inundated with snakes. Apparently the soil composition is of importance with this system as it is a "vibration system" and works best on hard ground. The place it didn't work was on the edge of a dam where the soils was soft and moist.

Anecdotal it may be, but if you have a major worry, then it is up to the individual to decide a course of action and not be deterred by total (anecdotal) dismissal

Has anyone out there tried using any of the Snake repellents on the market ? I know there are solar type ones to sit in the garden and something called shoo snake.

I have heard about the solar power ones over the years. Some say they work. Some say they don't.

Why don't you just buy them and see for yourself?

Also saw this recipe: http://www.emuridge.com.au/snake-deterrent/

Sounds odd but you never know!!

For heavens sake don't let the dog anywhere near it ...dead in minutes.....cats do very well though

Agree, that is our main concern. As I said I will be locking the dog inside when we go out from now on.

Bristolman, how long do they normally hang around ? Not been seen before so it may hopefully be passing through. I mean it is not likely to set up home in the neighbours garden is it ?

I mean it is not likely to set up home in the neighbours garden is it ?

What's the food source like? Rats, mice, frogs, skinks, accessible chook eggs? Make sure that any chook food is secure so that it doesn't attract rats and mice.

If you want to track if it ventures into your place, here's a tip which was given to me by a Reptile Rescue person (when I had a snake in a dry rockwall).

Spread sand fairly thickly over the area you want to track...it will then leave a trail for you to see.