Citizenship of child born in UK to dual national (British Australian)

stizzy

Hi there,

I'm a dual national - British by birth and Australian by conferral (I was an Australian Permanent Resident and I then became a citizen after four years in Sydney).

I'm currently expecting my first child with my partner who is a British citizen. He hasn't lived in Australia before, and we are now both residing in the UK. The baby will be born in the UK also.

I'm struggling to find anything online to confirm whether or not my child will automatically become a dual national. Understand they will be born a British citizen, however will I be able to also register them as an Australian citizen based on my dual citizenship? If they don't live in Australia would they then be able to pass this on to any children they may have in the future?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

My children's mother was born in Oz to British parents but only lived here for her first 3 months. Despite that, she had Australian citizenship and our children, born in the UK, are considered Australian by descent.

They have to apply for it Johndoe. It is not automatic.

So they are not considered Australian citizens until they apply and are given it.

They have to apply for it Johndoe. It is not automatic.

So they are not considered Australian citizens until they apply and are given it.

That wasn't the case back in 95. We had no idea that the ex was considered to be Australian and it was only after applying for a visa, which was rejected, were we informed that it was rejected because we didn't need one as my wife and children were already considered to be Australian. It was only myself who came as a "dependent". They then sent us certificates confirming the children's citizenship so it may well be that they counted the visa application as an application for recognition of their citizenship, but we certainly didn't make a formal request. We never got our application fee back either!!!!!!!

That wasn't the case back in 95. We had no idea that the ex was considered to be Australian and it was only after applying for a visa, which was rejected, were we informed that it was rejected because we didn't need one as my wife and children were already considered to be Australian. It was only myself who came as a "dependent". They then sent us certificates confirming the children's citizenship so it may well be that they counted the visa application as an application for recognition of their citizenship, but we certainly didn't make a formal request. We never got our application fee back either!!!!!!!

I'm referring to the children specifically. Your ex may well have been an Australian citizen by birth automatically, but citizenship by descent always has to be applied for is my understanding.

This applied to me too. I was born in the UK to an Aussie born Mum.

I became a citizen by descent in the 70's when my mum applied for it for me.

I don't believe this has changed but stand corrected if someone can confirm otherwise.

I'm referring to the children specifically. Your ex may well have been an Australian citizen by birth automatically, but citizenship by descent always has to be applied for is my understanding.

This applied to me too. I was born in the UK to an Aussie born Mum.

I became a citizen by descent in the 70's when my mum applied for it for me.

I don't believe this has changed but stand corrected if someone can confirm otherwise.

Nope, you are correct! Potter off to the AHC in London to register them first, then apply for passport. DS1 is in the throes of doing this for GS1 - DS1 is, himself a citizen by descent but having lived more than 3 years in Aus can apply for citizenship by descent for his son.

Hi there,

I'm a dual national - British by birth and Australian by conferral (I was an Australian Permanent Resident and I then became a citizen after four years in Sydney).

I'm currently expecting my first child with my partner who is a British citizen. He hasn't lived in Australia before, and we are now both residing in the UK. The baby will be born in the UK also.

I'm struggling to find anything online to confirm whether or not my child will automatically become a dual national. Understand they will be born a British citizen, however will I be able to also register them as an Australian citizen based on my dual citizenship? If they don't live in Australia would they then be able to pass this on to any children they may have in the future?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello I also have dual nationality, born in the UK and have citizenship of Australia since late 70's. I'm currently applying for Citzenship by decent for my children that were born in the UK its pretty straight forward, all the information can be found at the Australian High Commission in London http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_citz.html .

A child can be registered as an Australian citizen if one of their parents was an Australian citizen at the time of their birth. A child must be registered as an Australian citizen before they apply for an Australian passport.Please note, if your parent became an Australian citizen by descent, he or she must have been present in Australia for periods totalling two years at some time in their life in order for the child to be registered as an Australian citizen by descent.

Archived