Snakes in Brisbane City

jordiemagoo

Snakes are bad end ugh but cane toads are equally as bad especially when it comes to dogs. Mine nearly died when I lived in my hometown Brisbane that was about 20 years ago now.

Seems to be far less cane toads in Brisbane compared to when I was a kid. Not sure whether it was human intervention or something else.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends where you live anywhere in Aus, if you are adjacent to parks and bushland more likely to see snakes around. They do not like us so they tend to keep away from us. Keeping lawns short and beds weeded helps to keep them away and some say a cat will keep them away as well.

My friend lived in Thornlands on half an acre and she was them all the time, pythons, tree snakes all sorts.

Seems to be far less cane toads in Brisbane compared to when I was a kid. Not sure whether it was human intervention or something else.

Well that is good news though I hear they are heading for the NT which would be awful.

Human intervention via golf club and cricket bat is my guess. I miss batting 'em over the neighbours fence ;-)

My cousin had a brown snake a few years ago. Fortunately the lawnmower man was there and mowed it to smithereens. You do have to think about snakes but unless you are near bushland. A creek or a park you will rarely see one. I've only seen 2 dead ones in 7 years.

There must have been enormous numbers when you were a kid. We used to go out at night at a local koala reserve and it wouldn't be difficult to collect over 100 in the space of a few hours. They were incredibly common near us.

My cousin had a brown snake a few years ago. Fortunately the lawnmower man was there and mowed it to smithereens. You do have to think about snakes but unless you are near bushland. A creek or a park you will rarely see one. I've only seen 2 dead ones in 7 years.

Yes very fortunate he was there to kill a protected species but it's only a snake though.

There are squillion in the NT and lotsa the mongrels in WA. Saw 5 along The Ord River 3 weeks ago. Cheers, Bobj.

Thats bad news bob, they will kill thousends of native species if something is not done. Time for a bounty on there revolting heads.

Thats bad news bob, they will kill thousends of native species if something is not done. Time for a bounty on there revolting heads.

The idea of a bounty has been talked about many times, the problem is it has been shown many people can't tell the difference between a Cane Toad and many species of native frog. They are already killing millions of native species unfortunately. There is a lot of work being done to create a genetic weapon to target them. The thing that makes this more viable is that Australia has no native toads.

I used to think it depended where you live but I'll have to rethink that idea!lol I lived rurally in SA for a few years and saw a few in my time.However....having spoken to twin sis who lives in the burbs of Adelaide,her neighbour has recently had to contact the council re a couple of brown snakes they have found in their back yard.

I used to think it depended where you live but I'll have to rethink that idea!lol I lived rurally in SA for a few years and saw a few in my time.However....having spoken to twin sis who lives in the burbs of Adelaide,her neighbour has recently had to contact the council re a couple of brown snakes they have found in their back yard.

No, it really doesn't matter where you live to be honest. Obviously there will be more if you are rural but they are found everywhere. When people say they haven't seen a single snake in 10 years that literally does just mean they haven't seen them but they are there.

People need to be aware of the basics, dont go in long grass with out boots, use gloves in the garden, be aware they live in wood piles that sort of thing. Read up on snakes and spiders and learn the dangers just like learning the dangers of flood, bush fires, and cyclones. This is Aus and this is what we live with.

I'm in Sherwood and odd snake reported by my neighbours but cane toads pretty evident... - Eurgh... after rains the lawn is jumping with them and they fall into the pool and can't get out and end up all bloated and yucky if I don't fish 'em out in time.....Funny enough each time I've seen a snake (5 times in 10 years including remote bush walking I've been pretty fascinated as they are beautiful creatures that deserve our respect but cane toads - Yuk!

Linda has in the 16 years we have been here, probably seen more snakes than the average aussie, and she has a real phobia of them. Our present home in the past 7 years, we have had one in the house (red belly) and 5 in the garden, I also (unbeknown to linda) found a snake skin in the garage, actually inside my work coat which was hung up about 6ft off the floor.

In my 16 years hear of working outside I have seen a similar number.

Take care folks.

Maybe living by the beach isn't all its cracked up to be...

Well the man was sitting in the sand dunes on a quiet area of beach in an "isolated area".

There are often snakes in the dunes due to the surrounding scrub.

But it is quite rare to see a snake on the actual open beach area.

People need to be aware of the basics, dont go in long grass with out boots, use gloves in the garden, be aware they live in wood piles that sort of thing. Read up on snakes and spiders and learn the dangers just like learning the dangers of flood, bush fires, and cyclones. This is Aus and this is what we live with.

Exactly.

And the chances of seeing a snake if you live in the city CBD or inner suburbs; really are quite rare.

Snakes are shy and will avoid human contact where possible. When I lived in the bush I went a stretch of about ten years without seeing a single snake. I know they were in the area, as other people saw them. But I never did. And then suddenly I saw quite a few in a short space of time.

Living in Australia you should expect to experience (at least some point in your life) things like spiders, snakes, crocodiles, sharks, stinging jellyfish, rips, floods, flash floods, drought, extreme heat, bush fires, intense thunderstorms or cyclones. That is just how it is. Learn and prepare for the worst and just hope you never need it. But that is half the adventure and fun of living here. Best to stay in the UK if any of these things sound too bad.

When you get here, I would recommend visiting somewhere like Lone Pine and listening to the talks and then holding a snake and getting your photo done.

I used to be terrified of snakes, but have really been educated about them and have totally changed my feelings. We have held them 3 or 4 times now and I never could've imagined doing that before.

A lot of the fear isn't based on fact when you learn a bit more about them.

We had one get into the house (just a tree snake) which my husband safely removed (after getting verification of the species from an expert) but apart from that rarely see them out and about.

Archived