Bring $$$ while arriving

komi

Hi,

My and my family is arriving to Sydney on PR. As we are migrating permanently, we will be bringing all of our money. So, I want to ask:

1. Currently we have cash in PKR and USD. In which currency should we bring the cash. Should be convert all of our cash to AUD?

2. Normally airlines have limitation of brining cash. So, how we will be brining cash (lets say currency worth around AUD$ 30K) to Australia. Any advice?

Regards,

Komi

Hi,

My and my family is arriving to Sydney on PR. As we are migrating permanently, we will be bringing all of our money. So, I want to ask:

1. Currently we have cash in PKR and USD. In which currency should we bring the cash. Should be convert all of our cash to AUD?

2. Normally airlines have limitation of brining cash. So, how we will be brining cash (lets say currency worth around AUD$ 30K) to Australia. Any advice?

Regards,

Komi

You will not be allowed to travel with large amounts of cash, I don't think. I suggest registering with Moneycorp through this forum, and transferring most of your money to an Australian dollar account with them. Then open a bank account here in Australia (you will need one for payment of your salary) and transfer the money from Moneycorp into that account.

Hi,

Regards,

Komi

This is the 21st century. Nobody carries cash. Transfer your money through a broker or through your bank.

There are no restrictions on carrying cash, only requirements to declare it. When I come I'll be bringing about $40k with me in cash.

Do you think ther is no crime in Australia? Do you think there is no theft or muggings?

What country are you from? I wonder if you do not have an over romantic ideal as to the safety of Western countries.

Do you think ther is no crime in Australia? Do you think there is no theft or muggings?

What country are you from? I wonder if you do not have an over romantic ideal as to the safety of Western countries.

I'm Canadian. I'll be going straight to a bank from the airport.

Well if you typically wander around Canada with $40k on your person, I guess this is much the same.

Of course not, but I don't migrate everyday. Extraordinary circumstances mean unusual behavior. People carry large amounts of cash on planes all the time. Unless you advertise it, people don't know what you have with you.

Be aware that any transaction involving $10,000 or more of cash in Australia is subject to an extra layer of bureaucracy and is reported to a special Transaction Authority (AUSTRAC).

You can carry it in cash in through the airport but you will have to declare it at customs control and fill out a form which will be forwarded to AUSTRAC.

Similarly when you make a cash deposit into a bank. More form filling and information forwarded to AUSTRAC.

http://www.austrac.gov.au/travellers/travelling-or-out-australia/reporting-physical-currency#what_is_the_limit

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/PA_ES_Content_Mgmt/content/australia/common/pdf/about/aba-fact-sheet.pdf

Now as a public service, I think Wooba should let all of us meet him/her at the airport - just to welcome him/her to the country of course.....:biglaugh:

Yes, I was going to say, let me know what flight you're on... On a serious note, I hope he wouldn't delay any evacuating passengers behind him in an emergency by wrestling with the overhead locker to retrieve his hand luggage...

Yes, I was going to say, let me know what flight you're on... On a serious note, I hope he wouldn't delay any evacuating passengers behind him in an emergency by wrestling with the overhead locker to retrieve his hand luggage...

I think people who do that should get some prison time, like on the recent British airways flight in Las Vegas.

I will have the money on my person.

Hi,

Regards,

Komi

1. If you want to bring cash then bring them as is and exchange them here for AUD. The general rule is "local" currency is always cheaper to buy. So buy AUD in Australia and buy USD in USA etc

2. Be vigilant and declare cash at the customs. Don't know if your have any regulations on cash control where you are departing.

3. Suggest you look into forex companies. There are plenty of them around. You can open a NAB account while you are still overseas and transfer money into it.

Most of the Australian banks will allow you to open an account before arriving (I opened a CBA account from Ireland). You can then transfer your cash to it using a money broker (much cheaper than the banks - I used Halo in London but ozforex, moneycorp, transfermate etc are others).

On arriving in Australia, you just go to the branch with you ID and they activate your account for ongoing use.

Carrying that amount of cash is just crazy IMO.

Archived