Help needed! Family friendly suburb in Brisbane and a good school?

Mjboo

Hi all,

My family and I have recently moved to oz on a 189 visa. We are currently in a short term rental in chermside, however need to find a longer term rent with a view of buying after 6months. we are keen to stay north side, my partner has work in fortitude valley but will be driving in, looking at no more than a 45min-1hour (ideally less) commute. Not too fussed about being close to the city and ideally looking for somewhere with a good state primary school (friendly/good community as oppose to just academic results), parks/outside things to do with the children, and somewhere we can afford after renting! (Looking at about $400k mark, queen slander style house). Thought being here would help make the decision easier, if anything we feel even more overwhelmed!

Not sure whether to head nearer to the coast - or more inland west or North! Some of the suburbs mentioned to us have been: sandgate, shorncliffe, nudgee, nundah, wooloowin,

if anyone has any ideas or lists of places to avoid that would be great! At least we can narrow our search a little! Time is ticking to locate a school particularly, so we are keen to get moving asap.

Thank-you in advance people! ??

Nundah and Northgate are nice suburbs but you will struggle to find a nice family queenslander in your price range.

Nice areas with lots of good schools snd families : Eaton Hills, Arana Hills, Ferny Hills, Ferny Grove, Mitchelton (but probably beyond your budget), The Gap (also getting more pricey due to popularity).

Am not that keen on Enoggera (quite industrial ), Banyo, and I haven't heard great things about Carsedine (if that is how it is spelt) however these are just impressions and someone with personal experience of these areas may correct me.

Not many Q'lders but you can pick up a 4 bed low set for around $400K in Bracken Ridge. I put my kids and foster kids through Norris Rd Primary and have no complaints. Only 5 minutes from Sandgate/shorncliffe prom and the council is currently building a joint pool/ skate park here. I've moved 3 times in the last 20yrs, but always within Bracken Ridge as my family grew, which indicates that I like the suburb :-). Bus service to the city (via chermside) every 15 minutes and train every 30 mins. The transport (IMHO) is that good, that I rarely use the fourby nowadays to get to chermside or the city.

It's a little bit further north but have you looked at the Redcliffe/Scarborough/Newport areas on the peninsula - some nice areas around there. Little further commute back to Brisbane, but also gives you a good stepping stone to go up the Sunny Coast on down time.

Hello :) we have just very recently rented in Ferny Grove, great parks, schools, houses, my husband commutes to Fortitude too, mostly by car but there is a train station at Ferny Grove too, We also looked closer into the city around Graceville and Sandgate but found we got lots more for our weekly rent here, it's right next to lovely hinterland too.

:)

• 1 month later...

You could look around this area if you're trying to keep the prices down:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-scarborough-121094518

Can't tell you about the local state school but friends recommend the local catholic primary school. It's in the catchment for this school:

Scarborough State School

Eversleigh Road, Scarborough, 4020

(07) 3480 3333

www.scarboross.eq.edu.au

It seems to be very family friendly when I visit my friends. It is close to a bayside beach with lovely foreshore bike rides, parks and cafe strips.

Here's the real estate photo of it...being bayside some of the beaches are ok and some pretty ordinary.

image14.jpg

It is also close to a boat harbour and fresh seafood purveyors:

03.jpg

Source: http://morgansrestaurant.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/03.jpg

New train opening in the adjacent suburb next year with a trip to Brisbane around 55 mins.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

My family and I have recently moved to oz on a 189 visa. We are currently in a short term rental in chermside, however need to find a longer term rent with a view of buying after 6months. we are keen to stay north side, my partner has work in fortitude valley but will be driving in, looking at no more than a 45min-1hour (ideally less) commute. Not too fussed about being close to the city and ideally looking for somewhere with a good state primary school (friendly/good community as oppose to just academic results), parks/outside things to do with the children, and somewhere we can afford after renting! (Looking at about $400k mark, queen slander style house). Thought being here would help make the decision easier, if anything we feel even more overwhelmed!

Not sure whether to head nearer to the coast - or more inland west or North! Some of the suburbs mentioned to us have been: sandgate, shorncliffe, nudgee, nundah, wooloowin,

if anyone has any ideas or lists of places to avoid that would be great! At least we can narrow our search a little! Time is ticking to locate a school particularly, so we are keen to get moving asap.

Thank-you in advance people! 

Hi You could look at North Lakes - that is an every growing suburb and commute not (too) bad to F valley :)

Archived