Renting in Sydney: something near green and water, something villagey, something near CBD

syd

A big hello to everyone!

I'd really appreciate your help with this question, which no doubt has been answered a million times but not exactly in this way, with these permutations.

Found Camden on a list of 'best kept Sydney secrets'. Love the villagey atmosphere, churches, and access to dams/rivers and loads of greenery. Reminds me of one of my favourite cities in the UK: Canterbury. Unfortunately not exactly close to CBD.

According to Homely, Melrose Park is the #1 suburb in Greater Sydney. A tall order, and obviously taken with liberal sprinklings of salt, but at least closer to the CBD (at least according to the map) and home to all the villagey/water/birdlife/greenery/historical architecture I'd love.

Concord is high up on the list and apparently the closest to what I'm looking for across all criteria, according to Homely once again.

What are your thoughts on these three, guys? Camden looks like it's way too far out, but are there any gems closer to the CBD that tick the nature/architecture/village setting? Also, any standouts on this list:

About us: just the two of us and two dogs, so schools don't matter but some garden space does. Rental budget is around 800pw.

Thank you!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've edited your post as all the links you included were very broken. I must admit, when I first saw them I thought it was spam because of the amount of links to the same page so checked them and all broken and going nowhere.

Anyways, I've removed them and I'd think people who know the suburbs you are asking about will reply and not really need the links to go on.

To be honest, these are not places I have really heard people talk about despite five years in Sydney. Looking at them on a map and none are places I would go near, they might be nice pockets but those general areas are not what most people would be moving half way round the world too. Melrose Park probably the best location.

Your criteria is just a bit too vague to suggest anything else though, although the budget will determind it quite a lot. Your £800 per week is decent but not fabulous for Sydney and will rule out the really good suburbs and you are not going to be central, but it will lift you out of the dodgier ones.

But I don't reallly understand what architecture you are looking for, Australian architecture is quite different to the UK, can you be a bit clearer on what architectural features you are seeking? And I don't think Sydney suburbs are villagey, not in the UK sense again. In the UK you might get a village, drive through nothing in particular and then hit another village, Sydney isn't like that, the suburbs just all roll into one with no clear separation. There is plenty of greenery all over Sydney though.

We have family living in Engadine in the Sutherland Shire. They commute to the city daily and are about 25 mins drive to beach. It's a green and leafy area, not quite a village feel but it has its own town centre and train station. They are very happy there but it's horses for courses :-)

I think at this stage, there is no need to narrow it down to a specific suburb, especially as they do sort of roll together. When you arrive and are driving around, you probably won't even be able to tell when you leave one suburb and enter the next one.

For that reason, it might be better to think about the area more widely for now. Sydney suburbs are grouped together, for example; Northern Beaches, Upper North Shore, Lower North Shore, Sutherland, Easter Suburbs, Inner West, Paramatta etc.

Maybe research the wider area first and then when you arrive look around all the suburbs in that area.

According to Homely, Melrose Park is the #1 suburb in Greater Sydney.

I'd take these "rankings" with a huge bucket of salt. I hadn't heard of Homely before but have just had a squizz. The rankings are based on the comments of a very small sample and are, naturally, very subjective.

I checked them out for my own city and the results are laughable. The most disadvantaged, socio economic problem suburb is ranked one place ahead of and one place behind, the two most prestigious (based on property prices) suburbs. Actually, when I read your criteria, Hunters Hill is the suburb I thought of...but unaffordable.

Transport links to your place of employment are going to be very important when searching for your ideal location.

I'd take these "rankings" with a huge bucket of salt. I hadn't heard of Homely before but have just had a squizz. The rankings are based on the comments of a very small sample and are, naturally, very subjective.

I checked them out for my own city and the results are laughable. The most disadvantaged, socio economic problem suburb is ranked one place ahead of and one place behind, the two most prestigious (based on property prices) suburbs. Actually, when I read your criteria, Hunters Hill is the suburb I thought of...but unaffordable.

Transport links to your place of employment are going to be very important when searching for your ideal location.

Very good points raised. I just had a look at the top twenty or so in Sydney and it is an absurd listing. I know the northern beach suburbs best, there is one at position 8 which is definitely one of the least desirable on the northern beaches, not least for being nowhere near the beach. But then at position 19 there is one of the most gorgeous northern beach suburbs. I looked up the neighbouring suburb to the gorgeous one to see where it came and it is 188! These two are right next to each other, the position 188 suburb being slightly closer to the city, having slightly more amenities but not much difference in house price.

I also looked to see to see where a particularly crime ridden and undesirable suburb ranked and it was not much below Bondi. Now

Bondi is not my personal cup of tea but it is one of the prestigious Eastern Suburbs, near beach and near City. No rhyme or reason that I can see to these rankings.

Honestly OP, you need a truck of salt.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've edited your post as all the links you included were very broken. I must admit, when I first saw them I thought it was spam because of the amount of links to the same page so checked them and all broken and going nowhere.

Anyways, I've removed them and I'd think people who know the suburbs you are asking about will reply and not really need the links to go on.

Not sure what went wrong, but thanks for saving my post - and the welcome :)

To be honest, these are not places I have really heard people talk about despite five years in Sydney. Looking at them on a map and none are places I would go near, they might be nice pockets but those general areas are not what most people would be moving half way round the world too. Melrose Park probably the best location.

Your criteria is just a bit too vague to suggest anything else though, although the budget will determind it quite a lot. Your £800 per week is decent but not fabulous for Sydney and will rule out the really good suburbs and you are not going to be central, but it will lift you out of the dodgier ones.

But I don't reallly understand what architecture you are looking for, Australian architecture is quite different to the UK, can you be a bit clearer on what architectural features you are seeking? And I don't think Sydney suburbs are villagey, not in the UK sense again. In the UK you might get a village, drive through nothing in particular and then hit another village, Sydney isn't like that, the suburbs just all roll into one with no clear separation. There is plenty of greenery all over Sydney though.

Very good to know. I know absolutely nothing about the good areas vs bad, so the pockets look amazing on Google Images, sound great when reviewed by residents, and tick lots of boxes in terms of features. You're right about villagey meaning different things to different people. I'm not looking for the village-nothing-village isolation, I'm looking for the small town feel, feeding ducks at the local pond or strolling along a river without thousands of others, a big church, loads of green space, local milkman, a pharmacy that knows your name, wider streets, fewer homes, more space between them, that kind of thing. Of all my criteria, it's really the most flexible of course, but it would be very nice to have if it is possible.

Where will you be working? Commuting in Sydney is a pain.

I don't know at this stage. I realise it's a bit of a cart-before-the-horse scenario, but I'm guessing that my budget will dictate area regardless of where I work in the CBD. But yes, I'd like to avoid long commutes if at all possible while ticking other boxes within my budget.

I think Camden is quite quaint. Concord is rather dull, it's on the water but I don't rate it as a particularly nice part of the harbour. I've never heard of Melrose Park.

As previously mentioned, I'm surprised a potential migrant would be focussing on these areas!

Only found them because I was looking for something unexpected and came across the site I referenced, that weirdly put Surry Hills at somewhere like 324th on the list. I was hoping to find a few not-so-obvious options, which I think I did ... but from the sound of things, in all the wrong ways.

Woollahra is my favourite villagey suburb in Sydney but unfortunately it is also one of the most expensive. It's a lovely suburb, near the water and near the CBD.

Brilliant! Adding it to the list and will be off to explore after this. Thank you :)

We have family living in Engadine in the Sutherland Shire. They commute to the city daily and are about 25 mins drive to beach. It's a green and leafy area, not quite a village feel but it has its own town centre and train station. They are very happy there but it's horses for courses :-)

Beautiful, thank you. I was hoping to be closer to the CBD than this, but will have a browse of the area to see what it has to offer!

I think at this stage, there is no need to narrow it down to a specific suburb, especially as they do sort of roll together. When you arrive and are driving around, you probably won't even be able to tell when you leave one suburb and enter the next one.

For that reason, it might be better to think about the area more widely for now. Sydney suburbs are grouped together, for example; Northern Beaches, Upper North Shore, Lower North Shore, Sutherland, Easter Suburbs, Inner West, Paramatta etc.

Maybe research the wider area first and then when you arrive look around all the suburbs in that area.

This is where I kinda started, but tried (not so successfully) to zoom in on suburbs to be able to search for rentals to see what I could get for my money, and what kind of area I'd be living in with the budget. I have a general idea that the beaches are to expensive, Sutherland is (at this point) a bit further than I was hoping for, and the rest are good (and bad, if you look at my list), so I'm trying to get a little closer to the suburbs I might be choosing between.

LOL. Yes, I've come to agree, unfortunately. But thanks to you guys, I now know that I was on the wrong track. Decent transport links are crucial, which I'm kinda taking for granted in areas somewhat close to the CBD.

Very good points raised. I just had a look at the top twenty or so in Sydney and it is an absurd listing. I know the northern beach suburbs best, there is one at position 8 which is definitely one of the least desirable on the northern beaches, not least for being nowhere near the beach. But then at position 19 there is one of the most gorgeous northern beach suburbs. I looked up the neighbouring suburb to the gorgeous one to see where it came and it is 188! These two are right next to each other, the position 188 suburb being slightly closer to the city, having slightly more amenities but not much difference in house price.

I also looked to see to see where a particularly crime ridden and undesirable suburb ranked and it was not much below Bondi. Now

Bondi is not my personal cup of tea but it is one of the prestigious Eastern Suburbs, near beach and near City. No rhyme or reason that I can see to these rankings.

Honestly OP, you need a truck of salt.

Wow. At this point I'm considering investing in a salt mine! Seems that besides the nice pics and sweet reviews from residents, the site offers absolutely no value for what I'm needing here. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure what went wrong, but thanks for saving my post - and the welcome :)

Very good to know. I know absolutely nothing about the good areas vs bad, so the pockets look amazing on Google Images, sound great when reviewed by residents, and tick lots of boxes in terms of features. You're right about villagey meaning different things to different people. I'm not looking for the village-nothing-village isolation, I'm looking for the small town feel, feeding ducks at the local pond or strolling along a river without thousands of others, a big church, loads of green space, local milkman, a pharmacy that knows your name, wider streets, fewer homes, more space between them, that kind of thing. Of all my criteria, it's really the most flexible of course, but it would be very nice to have if it is possible.

I don't know at this stage. I realise it's a bit of a cart-before-the-horse scenario, but I'm guessing that my budget will dictate area regardless of where I work in the CBD. But yes, I'd like to avoid long commutes if at all possible while ticking other boxes within my budget.

Only found them because I was looking for something unexpected and came across the site I referenced, that weirdly put Surry Hills at somewhere like 324th on the list. I was hoping to find a few not-so-obvious options, which I think I did ... but from the sound of things, in all the wrong ways.

Brilliant! Adding it to the list and will be off to explore after this. Thank you :)

Beautiful, thank you. I was hoping to be closer to the CBD than this, but will have a browse of the area to see what it has to offer!

This is where I kinda started, but tried (not so successfully) to zoom in on suburbs to be able to search for rentals to see what I could get for my money, and what kind of area I'd be living in with the budget. I have a general idea that the beaches are to expensive, Sutherland is (at this point) a bit further than I was hoping for, and the rest are good (and bad, if you look at my list), so I'm trying to get a little closer to the suburbs I might be choosing between.

LOL. Yes, I've come to agree, unfortunately. But thanks to you guys, I now know that I was on the wrong track. Decent transport links are crucial, which I'm kinda taking for granted in areas somewhat close to the CBD.

I am assuming you need a house as you want big gardens? In this case, I think the budget is a bit too low for a house near the city. I think you are looking at being at least a one hour commute away, is that ok?

Your description of what you are looking for (wide streets, fewer houses, pond, river, big church) sounds like English countryside ... but I am struggling to think of Sydney in those terms. It is also at odds with wanting a short commute, Sydney is a city of many millions and certainly nearer the city, the streets are busy and the houses are close together. Most suburbs do have a small shopping precinct of some description though, their own little centre and greenery is dotted around everywhere, however because most (all even?) suburbs have these things, it doesn't really rule anything in or out.

I think I am probably back to recommending you narrow down to one of the wider areas rather than suburb first of all. North, South, East or West? And then hone in on one of the regions. I daresay Eastern Suburbs is out of the question (unless an apartment is ok) and like wise the CBD suburbs due to budget. You might get something on Northern Beaches or North Shore in budget, easily Sutherland or Hills District. If you use domain, you can search on these wider areas and start to narrow down the options.

Have a look at Breakfast Point.

It isnt near near the beach, but is on the river and has a village feel. Even a village green in the middle and all residents get membership of the club which is an amazing place. There are a few shops and restaurants and nearby suburbs have lots of shopping.

Breakfast Point looks beautiful - will have to investigate how long it'll take into the CBD though. Looks a little far at a glance.

JockinTas, you hit the nail on the head with Woollahra. The historical architecture, the trees, Cooper Park, near to the CBD. Aargh ... is there a slightly more affordable version of Woollahra that you know of? :)

Breakfast Point looks beautiful - will have to investigate how long it'll take into the CBD though. Looks a little far at a glance.

JockinTas, you hit the nail on the head with Woollahra. The historical architecture, the trees, Cooper Park, near to the CBD. Aargh ... is there a slightly more affordable version of Woollahra that you know of? :)

Another nice suburb close to the CBD is Greenwich though not sure about cost of rentals - could be expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich,_New_South_Wales

Here is a link to rental properties - most of them may be flats though.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-greenwich,+nsw+2065/list-1

Camden is quite nice and quaint, has some great boutique shops, independent coffee shops and a couple of good sushi places, but it also has a Target and a Coles as it's main supermarket... One thing about Camden is it's home to a large general aviation airfield, operating low level light aircraft day and night (and gliders) which can be a bother to some (unfortunately I'm one of those people overflying those people relaxing in their garden on a Sunday afternoon).

Alternatively for water and greenery, there are plenty of places on the Nepean River and Hawkesbury, but most of them are rural villages. I'm sure people do commute into the CBD from their, but driving you are looking at 1 hour on a good day, 2-3 hours on a bad day.

You also have some great places in the Blue Mountains, and if you are willing to commute by train, the Blue Mountains train runs regularly into the city and takes about an hour from Glenbrook. We live in Leonay which is at the bottom of the Blue Mountains, and on the Nepean River, it's a beautiful little village, although for some it's a little too close to places like Penrith which is notoriously bogan.

I'm currently living in Southampton and notice how the city itself is fairly small, and most people live in places like Bursledon, Netley, Hamble, etc - which were villages once, but have all been swallowed up by So'ton. As a result, they still retain their village-y feel.

You don't get that in Sydney until you get a long, long way out of town. Most suburbs were built as suburbs, they were not villages that got swallowed up - so they look and feel like suburbs. No village pond, no town square, and of course no historic architecture since most buildings are less than 100 years old! Many suburbs will have no pub and few local shops (killed off because everyone shops at Westfields these days). Think of suburbs in London - more like that.

Having said that, I'd nominate Oatley as the most village-y Sydney suburb I've ever seen. Before meeting my oh, I had lived in trendy inner-city Sydney for 20 years and was very reluctant to move to the burbs, which I saw as uniformly depressing! I was instantly charmed by Oatley's vast village green, clock tower, cafes and shops. There is even a pond with ducks, a river with a picturesque pedestrian bridge leading to a pub high over the water - and a train station to take you to the CBD in 40 minutes. It's also a short train ride to the beach at Cronulla. Your budget should be adequate there, but do avoid areas near the railway line (that's good advice in all Sydney burbs actually - the lines carry goods trains at night which are very noisy).

I had never heard of Melrose Park, and I've lived in Sydney for 30 years. Looking at the map, it's next to Meadowbank and I doubt very much it has a village atmosphere!

Concord is a nice area, its main street is one long line of trendy cafes and restaurants (but no pub!) and there are some pleasant nice river walks. On the downside, there's no train, but if you end up working in Ryde or Macquarie Park, it's an easy commute by car (which is not something you can say very often!). Breakfast Point is not far away and a nice development - but it IS a development, all brand new flats and townhouses, no history!

You'll find plenty of villages in the Blue Mountains but it's a long commute - well over an hour.

Look on domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to get an idea of rentals.

Will check out the area search on Domain, didn't know that was possible - thanks!

How about areas like Annandale (http://www.domain.com.au/for-rent/112-trafalgar-st-annandale-nsw-2038-9996617?sp=9)

or Lilyfield (http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-lilyfield-405154559#). Are these decent suburbs?

Yes they are, trendy hipster areas. There are lots of cute little terraced houses too, which might suit you - but do be careful, as they are often postage-stamp size and if they're cheap, they're probably run down! The nice renovated ones would be out of your price bracket, as they're selling for $1 million now and rents have gone up accordingly. You can get a similar feel in Dulwich Hill (which is on the tram line) for a lower budget.

I do think you need to manage your expectations regarding the commute. Most Sydneysiders would be absolutely delighted to have a 45 minute commute to work. People do live closer in, but like London, they manage it by living in shoebox flats and townhouses or dinky terrace houses which cost a fortune - or they bought a long time ago when property in those areas was still affordable (I wish I had!). That's not an option for you with two dogs.

I'm currently living in Southampton and notice how the city itself is fairly small, and most people live in places like Bursledon, Netley, Hamble, etc - which were villages once, but have all been swallowed up by So'ton. As a result, they still retain their village-y feel.

Totally off topic, but I was just looking at the photos of my daughter when we lived in Hamble, I studied at Warsash Maritime College, and we really liked that area.

I'd never heard of Melrose Park either - I thought it was an American 'soapie'! Just goes to show that there are still 'burbs with names I've never heard of, even after all this time living in Sydney. Now I've Googled it, I can picture the general area, and looking at the surrounding suburbs it might be OK. Some of those suburbs have stations and others have buses to the city. There's a ferry service isn't there, from Parramatta to Sydney? If it means commuting along Victoria Road, it means heavy traffic seven days a week.

Someone mentioned Breakfast Point, which I think may be over the Parramatta River from Meadowbank? (I have put a few '?'s' because I have not researched these places. I've been to Breakfast Point as I have a friend who lives there. It's one of the 'brand-new' suburbs?

Marisa mentioned Oatley which, as she says, has a 'village' like atmosphere, and has a railway station, which I think is vital. Camden is very pleasant, will every amenity EXCEPT a railway station! There's a huge amount of development going on out there too, new roads, new housing estates. My brother moved to Mt Annan so I have got to know the area a little better. Before he moved there, he lived at Picnic Point, which is a very leafy area, not really 'village-like', but pleasant, and with trains to the city from Panania and Revesby and East Hills.

I don't know where to recommend to live, close to the CBD, with that 'village' atmosphere. Surry Hills, my own suburb, perhaps, no green belt, but some nice parks which are also 'dog-friendly', if you can afford to rent a terrace house. somewhere in the Inner West? Leichhardt? Lilyfield? Or perhaps further north in Lane Cove?

[TABLE]

[TR=class: mergedrow]

[TD=bgcolor: #f0f0ff, colspan: 3, align: center]Suburbs around Melrose Park:[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]Denistone West[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Denistone[/TD]

[TD=align: center]West Ryde[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]Ermington[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Melrose Park[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Meadowbank[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]Newington[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Homebush Bay[/TD]

[TD=align: center]Rhodes[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

History

Aboriginal culture

The Wallumedegal Aboriginal tribe lived in the area between the Lane Cove River and Parramatta River, which was known as Walumetta.

European settlement

Melrose Park was the name of the large housing estate here established in 1937. Melrose Park is named in honour of aviator Charles James Melrose (1913-1936). He held a number of flying records, was the only solo flyer to finish the Melbourne Centenary Air Race in 1934 and helped in the unsuccessful search for Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. He died when his plane broke up in turbulence on a charter flight from Darwin to Melbourne. Streets in the suburb also recall other aviators such as Sir Alan Cobham, Jean Batten and Amy Johnson.[2]

[TABLE]

[TD=bgcolor: #f0f0ff, colspan: 3, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi, only once properly about 4 yrs ago when we were exploring potential places to live. Since then I've only passed through. I've never considered bothering to go re-visit as I thought it was a bit bland, tbh. Maybe I missed something?

I seem to recall you're a surfer so I doubt it would work for you - but the whole of Majors Bay Road is one long line of cafes and restaurants, so anyone who's into a cafe lifestyle would like it.

Archived