Is visiting Australia on a Russian Passport better than a Canadian one ?

Alan H

My parents-in-law are awaiting for their Canadian citizenship right now in Canada. They have Australian Multi entry visitor’s visa attached to their Russian passports. They are planning to arrive to Australia in 1 month time. They are going to lose majority of their “ties”

with Canada. Would that be a problem on arrival to Australia? Would it raise questions from immigration officer? As an option they could apply for the electronic visa once they receive their Canadian passport. Would that be better option?

My parents-in-law are awaiting for their Canadian citizenship right now in Canada. They have Australian Multi entry visitor’s visa attached to their Russian passports. They are planning to arrive to Australia in 1 month time. They are going to lose majority of their “ties”

with Canada. Would that be a problem on arrival to Australia? Would it raise questions from immigration officer? As an option they could apply for the electronic visa once they receive their Canadian passport. Would that be better option?

Why don't they want to use their Russian passports?

I am not sure what you mean by losing their Canadian ties, or why it would be relevant anyway. But considering they already have visas attached to the Russian passports, I am not sure I understand the complication?

If they have a visa on any passport, they should be allowed entry

Losing ties with Canada is important for tax purposes only. They will lose ties only after they were out of Canada for more than 180 days and have no bank accounts , property, family, etc.

If they have their Canadian passport with the e-visa (visa required to board the flight in Canada), they can enter through the smart gate and they do not have to meet with the immigration officer.

What we are worried about is the kinds of questions the Ausstralian Immigration agent is going to ask when my parent's in Law come to the border.

See even though they are on an Australian visitors visa they are effectively quitting their job and stopping rent on their existing place.

If they were on an electronic visa would the questions by the immigration officer be any different or less intrusive ?

What are your parents in law intending to do in Australia? Settle here?

Well right now that is still up the air.

There are three possible outcomes they could go back to their native country or go and stay with my sister or stay in Australia

There are three possible outcomes they could go back to their native country or go and stay with my sister or stay in Australia

So, your parents are trying to stay in Australia illegally and you are asking which passport will make it easier for them to do that. Not sure that is a wise question to ask on a public forum.

The immigration officials will not know they've given up their jobs/home, so that is not an issue. What will make them suspicious is if your parents have only a one-way ticket and can't show sufficient funds for their holiday.

I saw on another thread that you want to get your parents onshore to apply for the onshore parent visa. This is a risk whatever passport they are on, Australia is not more tolerant of one nationality versus another when it comes to mis-using visas.

On electronic visa with a Canadian passport they might enter without talking to the immigration officials

However, nobody can tell if they will be pulled aside to be questioned, regardless of the passport or type of visa.

Also, they will not be allowed to board the plane in Vancouver with one-way ticket.

There is nothing illegal about deciding to apply for a visa while in Australia on a visitor visa. A CPV does not come with a bridging visa, so applying for one while in Australia would be no different than applying for one from overseas.

EDIT: Sorry, a 143 CPV does not come with a bridging visa but the 864 Aged CPV does.

Also, they will not be allowed to board the plane in Vancouver with one-way ticket.

Huh? Why not? Who's going to be stopping them?

One-way tickets are perfectly acceptable - people might be planning to buy an ongoing ticket to somewhere else rather than return directly to where they came from.

What if people were booked on a cruise ship to come back? There are plenty of quite legitimate reasons for travelling on a one-way ticket.

Well, I have had it twice with the Canadian check in process. The first time to Australia and the second time to New Zealand. They do require a return ticket (may be cruise ship ticket as well, I do not know). Luckily we had return tickets but we will test the procedure one more time this month when we are leaving on one way thicket. For us, it will not be a problem as we are PR but for somebody who is on tourist visa, it might be a problem.

Well, I have had it twice with the Canadian check in process. The first time to Australia and the second time to New Zealand. They do require a return ticket (may be cruise ship ticket as well, I do not know). Luckily we had return tickets but we will test the procedure one more time this month when we are leaving on one way thicket. For us, it will not be a problem as we are PR but for somebody who is on tourist visa, it might be a problem.

My OH was stopped by NZ immigration, his Australian PR visa never showed up in VEVO and it didn't show up in NZ systems either. They admitted him as a visitor and would definitely have not let him into the country without a return ticket, which we had of course. We were able to board the plane with no issue, although having said that they would have known we had a return.

There's nothing illegal about DECIDING to apply for a visa while IN Australia on a visitor visa. What IS illegal is getting a tourist visa and entering the country with the INTENTION of overstaying.

Yes, as I said there's nothing illegal about deciding to apply for a visa while in Australia on a visitor visa.

Archived