idea of cost, my head is about to explode!

harl113

Hi there, just looking at rough idea of the cost of migrating to Oz. There is 5 of us, Me (43) my Wife (46)and 3 kids 15,13,8 years old.

My wife is a Senior Sister on an elderly medicine ward and has been a qualified nurse for nearly 20 years so we were looking at going down the sponsorship route because of Sam's age.

Now this is just something we are thinking of and we have not completely made our minds up as yet.

I have been to Perth before to visit family and loved it! Sam was meant to migrate about 10 years ago and had everything in place until a marriage breakdown and had to cancel everything.

We do not have a property to sell in UK so would be looking to rent initially.

Any idea of approx costs that people have experienced from doing this previously would be great!

p.s. probs looking at Perth area and would even consider semi rural area but would love to hear other peoples opinions of different parts of Oz.

p.p.s. we are currently located in Newcastle Upon Tyne

By the way, I think there might be more implications for you, as one of your kids are over 18+

I don't know the specifics, but there will be more hoops to jump through as they're classed as an adult and will have to also do the English test for one....so worth finding that out before you start. Will be well worth using an agent, imo.

By the way, I think there might be more implications for you, as one of your kids are over 18+

I don't know the specifics, but there will be more hoops to jump through as they're classed as an adult and will have to also do the English test for one....so worth finding that out before you start. Will be well worth using an agent, imo.

Maybe the OP edited but the child is 8 years old.

Costs do vary from person to person. We are a couple and easily spent £30k all in, but we did not try to do it on a budget, another couple could have moved on much less. For a family though, it can be harder to cut costs and so I would go along with the £20-30k ballpark someone else suggested. It is pretty easy to research wdn guesstimate these costs yourself based on The choices you think you are likely to make.

But I think you really need to investigate the visa option first of all. Sponsored visas tend to be temporary visas so you have to think about how you will get a permanent visa, this is not something that happens by itself with the passage of time. Even for nurses the sponsorships are not as common as they once were, although they do still happen. It might be very hard to get a permanent visa sposnorship from the start and so if you are coming on a temporary visa there is a risk involved that you need to weigh up carefully.

Is your wife degree qualified and is there no way she could pass the points test for skilled migration?

I agree with the warning about temporary visas. Some employers will offer you a 457 visa with the promise that it'll "become permanent" in two years' time. It's rubbish - there is NO WAY a 457 visa can "become permanent", ever.

What MIGHT happen is that the employer will offer you a permanent job at the end of the two years, and sponsor you for a permanent visa - but there are so many things that can go wrong with that. One, the employer might hit hard times so there's no job. Two, he won't be allowed to sponsor you if the job isn't on the list of occupations at the time, or if you don't meet the requirements - and it does change.

Also, don't think that just being in Australia will give you some kind of advantage in getting a permanent visa. The requirements are exactly the same whether you apply from the UK or from within Oz - so it's much safer to apply from the UK.

If you were a single man or a young couple with few commitments, I'd say go for it anyway - if it all goes pear-shaped, young people have time to recoup their losses. For an older family with kids, a temp contract is just too much of a risk, IMO. It will cost you £20,000 to £30,000 to move out to Australia and the same again to move home at the end of the two years - can you afford to throw that much money away on an adventure?

Sam is degree qualified but we never thought of doing the points test as we were told she is too old for that. I shall investigate, cheers

If you have eligible family in Perth that's are willing to sponsor for 489 provisional visa that would likely be the best option, as would struggle to have enough points for the PR visas. The 489 provisional visa can become permanent visa after living for 2 years in regional Australia and working full time for 1 year.

Sam is degree qualified but we never thought of doing the points test as we were told she is too old for that. I shall investigate, cheers

You might as well just take a look even if it is to rule it out, it is hard after 45, but not impossible. She could have 20 English, 15 work experience, 15 degree, 10 state regional or family sponsorship for example.

Hi there we migrated as a family of 4 in 2012 and the cost for us was about 5K british pounds to do all the visa stuff etc and that was for a permanent residency! The dog cost us around 3 1/2 K (but wasnt going to leave her!) And it was a few thousand cant quite remember exactly how much to bring our things over! We also bought our car over which ended up not being as bad as I thought cost wise! My kids were 12 and 14 when we came here and have settled really well!

Hi there we migrated as a family of 4 in 2012 and the cost for us was about 5K british pounds to do all the visa stuff etc and that was for a permanent residency! The dog cost us around 3 1/2 K (but wasnt going to leave her!) And it was a few thousand cant quite remember exactly how much to bring our things over! We also bought our car over which ended up not being as bad as I thought cost wise! My kids were 12 and 14 when we came here and have settled really well!

Added to those costs are the ones you tend to forget - the cost of temp accommodation while you looked for a place to live, and the cost of all the myriad little things you had to buy to set up house. Plus the air fares of course!

Hi, Iam currently coming to the end of the visa process ...this is my experience so far.I would advise if able go for a state sponsored 190 visa this is perment and therefore everything visa wise would be done before you go. Iam also a nurse and cost wise so far for a family of 4 it has cost me:

1) 2,400 for an agent as was not confident to do myself and wanted to ensure everything was done properly your choice entirely this forum would help though so maybe u could do without this

2) 300 2 x IELTS, only myself had to sit, I did academic needed score over 7 in each for nursing then did general scores over 8 for extra visa point (189 visa independen, as I didn't want state sponsor)

2) think it was 450 for skills assessment for nursing

3) 3,500 for visa application

4) 1,100 for medicals

5) 90 police checks

6) 300 for certified docs for AHPRA and visa

7) 250 approx for application forAPHRA tip start gathering info for this straight away can take a while as info from uni and past jobs required

8) approx 2500 for flight

that's my journey so far very expensive but hopefully worth it....

iam selling my home in Wales and hoping to take 35k for temporary accommodation, and money to keep as going till we find job, not shipping though as for want we would want to take probably cheaper to buy as we own a new build and most thing built in.

hope this helps, can some help me though Iam a little confused to why it would cost same to come home isn't it the simple cost of flights and accommodation ?

Hi, Iam currently coming to the end of the visa process ...this is my experience so far.I would advise if able go for a state sponsored 190 visa this is perment and therefore everything visa wise would be done before you go. Iam also a nurse and cost wise so far for a family of 4 it has cost me:

1) 2,400 for an agent as was not confident to do myself and wanted to ensure everything was done properly your choice entirely this forum would help though so maybe u could do without this

2) 300 2 x IELTS, only myself had to sit, I did academic needed score over 7 in each for nursing then did general scores over 8 for extra visa point (189 visa independen, as I didn't want state sponsor)

2) think it was 450 for skills assessment for nursing

3) 3,500 for visa application

4) 1,100 for medicals

5) 90 police checks

6) 300 for certified docs for AHPRA and visa

7) 250 approx for application forAPHRA tip start gathering info for this straight away can take a while as info from uni and past jobs required

8) approx 2500 for flight

that's my journey so far very expensive but hopefully worth it....

iam selling my home in Wales and hoping to take 35k for temporary accommodation, and money to keep as going till we find job, not shipping though as for want we would want to take probably cheaper to buy as we own a new build and most thing built in.

hope this helps, can some help me though Iam a little confused to why it would cost same to come home isn't it the simple cost of flights and accommodation ?

We just moved back and it is very expensive, easily spent £30k we would not have otherwise spent.

No visa costs, but there are still flights, pet transportation, container, short term accommodation, car and of course lost income, just a couple of weeks in our case but it could easily have been more.

Thanks Bungo thought I missed some hidden costs then... We have thought about this and Iam lucky and having a two year career break from UK so will have a job to come home to and my relatives are more than happy to put us up for a few weeks until we sort out accommodation. I am intending on buying bare necessities until we decide where we want to live forever hahah so Iam not planning on shipping home either if we decide oz is not for us. Massive risk but as an intensive care nurse you get to realise that life is way to short not to follow ur dreams.....

Thanks Bungo thought I missed some hidden costs then... We have thought about this and Iam lucky and having a two year career break from UK so will have a job to come home to and my relatives are more than happy to put us up for a few weeks until we sort out accommodation. I am intending on buying bare necessities until we decide where we want to live forever hahah so Iam not planning on shipping home either if we decide oz is not for us. Massive risk but as an intensive care nurse you get to realise that life is way to short not to follow ur dreams.....

I am definitely not trying to discourage anyone. We spent £60k going there and back and I think it was worth every penny for the fabulous life experience. But it is good to be aware of how the expenses can stack up.

what is entailed in family sponsorship?

Family sponsorship is what I would consider to be a last resort option, but in your case it is at that stage due to age and the points test. It could be an excellent way to get ten points for a skilled migration application.

The family sponsor your visa and in return you get ten points towards skilled migration. The family have to live in certain areas and you would also have to live in certain areas if you get this visa. It is the 489 visa and worth having a read about.

I think the family have to vow to look after you, but that is not going to be legally enforceable and you wont be able to make them!

It is only certain members of the family that can sponsor, I cannot remember the full list but definitely parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and I think cousins, not sure about grandparents. Who are the relatives you have in Australia?

Iam a little confused to why it would cost same to come home isn't it the simple cost of flights and accommodation ?

Of course you won't have the cost of visas, medicals etc but you will still have the cost of shipping your belongings or replacing the lot (and having just done it, you need to allow a fair chunk to replace all the little stuff - kitchen utensils, pots & pans, linen, hoover, music system etc etc etc.). Like you, we just bought the bare necessities when we moved to the UK and I was surprised how much it cost.

I wish we had shipped our furniture because we would've filled the space with all those small things you don't think about but can't manage without! It would've saved us a lot of money plus the hassle of having to traipse round and replace everything.

Archived