Is your trade on this list?

Jacaranda

Guest Marybeth52

Hi Jacaranda

Having read that article I would take it with a large pinch of salt!

I have a son who has been looking for an apprenticeship in South Australia for over 2 years now, he has multiple TAFE trade qualifications, police check, full car licence, and has paid for a forklift licence and Tag & Test courses out of his own money. The simple answer is there are only a very, very few apprenticeships available, employers are not taking them on at this time, the usual response being that the companies do not have enough work to justify taking on apprentice.

Typical response to any apprenticeship advert is over 300 applications. When we arrived here in 2011, the number of apprenticeships was falling and it is still the same, with Holden closing, ships or submarines unlikely to be built in this state and manufacturing winding down. My son has many friends would love to have the chance to apply for these apprenticeships-the idea that they are snubbing these opportunities is fantasy.

Well,I posted it because I wanted to post a positive story from Australia,but I thought it was too good to be totally true!When I was growing up in Sth Oz (quite a long time ago now!)a lot of the kids were going into apprenticeships straight from school.No one we knew was even thinking about going to uni!How times change hey?Not sure if your son is working now,but if not,I hope he manages to find something soon.

Assume it's just a sales pitch from TAFE. A shame for the youngsters though - a much more sensible way to train up the next generation of workers then getting 50% of them to take degrees in Media Studies etc..... I would love to see apprenticeships re-instated - both here and in the UK. When I left school (yonks ago), so many of my friends went the Polytech/technical training/apprentice route and did very well out of it. Mind you, my nursing mates learned to nurse in hospitals then. Just seems to make sense to transfer the skills from experienced workers - and more satisfaction for mentor and trainee....

Hi Jacaranda

Having read that article I would take it with a large pinch of salt!

I have a son who has been looking for an apprenticeship in South Australia for over 2 years now, he has multiple TAFE trade qualifications, police check, full car licence, and has paid for a forklift licence and Tag & Test courses out of his own money. The simple answer is there are only a very, very few apprenticeships available, employers are not taking them on at this time, the usual response being that the companies do not have enough work to justify taking on apprentice.

Typical response to any apprenticeship advert is over 300 applications. When we arrived here in 2011, the number of apprenticeships was falling and it is still the same, with Holden closing, ships or submarines unlikely to be built in this state and manufacturing winding down. My son has many friends would love to have the chance to apply for these apprenticeships-the idea that they are snubbing these opportunities is fantasy.

Wow, this just goes to show how States differ,, my 17 yr old (with no licences ,as yet) has had a school based apprenticeship for 2 years now and it should have turned into his full time job when he leaves school, however he has recently been offered another full time apprenticeship in the same line but working on different vehicles which he starts as soon as he leaves school. They wanted him now but he told them he wanted to finish Yr 12 so they are waiting and he just work for them in the school holidays etc for now.

I think the trick to securing work is not to sit home sending applications, where possible get out there, door knock and sell yourself, preferably a few months before all the school leavers start applying.. Could your son try another area, or does he want to stay close to you guys?

Cal x

My son in Perth and qld now , tried everything to get a apprentice! He got nothing for two years and Christmas last year he was choking back tears ! Tears from a kid I've never seen upset before might I add ! He was on the verge of going back to UK ! There isn't opportunities around for the young in qld my sons girlfriend is Ozzie and she has tried everything to get a job also and nothing ! She is doing her nursing which starts in October I think she said ! My son applied for tons of apprenticeships and nothing ! Maybe whe still at school cal is different! Anyway after 2 years of trying and I went everywhere with him out in the pouring rain the lot he managed get a interview and practically begged the guy for the job ! It was absolutely tipping it down with rain that day of his interview, some roads were closed with flooding , I drove through this water and crapped myself but he was getting to that one interview if I had to swim lol anyway the guy give him a chance and he came to him a few weeks back and said I'm glad I gave you the chance because you are the back bone of the team ! My son is as happy as a pig in muck now ! I carny believe the change in him and I'm so proud of him too for not giving up although he did hit rock bottom:) only down fall he's in bed at 8 o'clock every night and up at 4 lol

Not sure its different because he is still at school, if anything id think its harder due to lack of experience, licences and age,,, this new apprenticeship is full time ,they wanted him now but he put them off until he leaves school. He is a charmer and although not academic can talk the talk but also walk the walk and works damn hard.

He has 2 other part time jobs as well, 1 he works 2 hrs , 2 nights after school, the other he works at on Saturdays. He first started work part time at 13 in a local takeaway but his writing is shocking and the cooks couldn't understand what the orders where,lol, so that job only lasted a few months but gave him a taste of what having your own money is like.

Every job he has had or has was pretty much down to door knocking (which for him works a million times better than a handwritten application), being friendly and selling yourself, just like his Dad and i.

I do think once you have had some type of employment it makes things a little easier and allows potential employers to see your reliable and trustworthy, hence we explained to him 3 years ago to take any job he could at first to get a foot on the employment ladder. It is great your son has now found something and seems to be doing well, i imagine it is very tough on them if they get continual knock backs, even worse with the aussie ' not even responding' rule that happens a lot and the advantage now is he should get a glowing reference from this employer should he choose to move on in the future.

Cal x

I might try the begging routine next time I have an interview.

I haven't thought of using that approach before.

Haha my sons a charmer too , but also academic and had enough of it ! Not that his dad's happy about that but you carny force your kids ! They may realise later or maybe they will be happy doing what they doing ! My son was straight into Australia from College in UK so also had no experience in anything . I think he used his cheeky charm and said go on give us a shot and he explained how long he had been trying ! This isn't a apparentice he has it's a full time trade job ! And door knocking and calling in for me I have tried myself and they say apply online ! Always had that apply online since being here ! Although I have a job still waiting on paper work for me 2nd casual job lol wa for ya ! :)

ThatThat post was answering cal sorry parley lol :) and yes parley practically begged how old are you get with the program of today !australia there is not many opportunities today parley ! Not as easy as 7 years ago when there was boards up on every street corner according to my friend welder a wanted boiler makers wanted ! Not as easy today as ya abc . And my hubbie thinks it will get worse before better . And for people of my age they want young blood because of cost ! Most jobs I can do that is . Now u are just a really grumpy old man or u just have it in for me for some reason ! if I post negative I get shot down if I post a sense of humour I get shot down if I post a bit of positivity about my son I still get shot Down !

What a load of BS. They list Air conditioning and Refrigeration on a skills shortage list? These sort of people are over represented in the Unemployment Sections especially as the bad ones are now returning from doing nothing on the mines as the jobs have dried up. The likes of Hays are now offering about $30 an hour for these jobs and on a temporary basis self employed.

Typical story from news.com - largely fabricated. A huge amount of the trades on that list have close to zero vacancies.

The situation is similar in Canada. Been promoting careers in the trades for years when it seems there aren't that many positions. My understanding is that it's more about the coming years than now. The average age is often quite high so huge numbers are set to retire in the years to come.

Archived