Renting in Melbourne with a dog

Sarahb1986

Hi All,

so I just wanted to get some advice....myself and my husband are emigrating to Melbourne in November and we are bringing our 12 year old male border collie across at the end of January.

From things i have read, is it hard to rent a house in Melbourne with a dog?

we have enough money to put down more of a bond if needed, but just wondered what people's experiences where??

thanks in advance!

Just push your case as much as you can; placid dog, doesn't chew, well behaved, doesn't dig in the garden, not left alone etc.

You'll probably have to pay a pet bond in addition to the rental bond.

Mention to the RE agent to tell the landlord that a family with young kids might do more damage to the property than your lovely old dog.

Thank you!

He definitely is very well behaved, does everything we tell him and very well trained!

Ive just read a few stories where people have really struggled with renting with a dog and it scared me a bit!

I might put a little dog profile together for him, ha :-)

The one thing that really worried me before the move, was renting with pets. But it was not even remotely as hard as I had read it would be, so try not to worry. You won't find many properties advertising pet friendly, but unless a property actually states "no pets" then it is worth asking as many will consider it.

Tackle it head on, for example when you write a little note about yourself for the application, mention the dog and sell the fact that he is a well trained, older dog. Certainly offer the pet bond, it might not be taken up, our offer wasn't. All that a landlord is looking for is someone who will pay the rent on time and look after the house, so push those two points strongly.

That makes me feel a bit better about the situation.

I will definitely put a info sheet together about us and we can definitely prove we can pay rent.

We have been renting a house which is owned in our family, do you think it's worthwhile having a reference type letter from this rental in the UK? It is just my in laws though that own it so don't know how much that would stand up?

thank you!

It is much harder with a dog BUT scroll through for the houses that only say Pets Considered, you're really wasting your time otherwise.

We always managed to rent with our gorgeous doggy. We stated "old, very well behaved family dog". Seemed to go down well and even though she wasn't VERY they're not going to ask for proof if age! (are they?)

It is much harder with a dog BUT scroll through for the houses that only say Pets Considered, you're really wasting your time otherwise.

?)

That is the total opposite to my experience. We did not come across one house that said pets are a problem, although none positively advertised that pets would be considered

It will of course depend on the area. Less chance in the city, but I assume with a collie you will want to be more suburban anyway. Don't ignore properties that do not say pets welcome. We do not state it on our adverts but all of our tenants have had dogs!

I'm sure you have thought about this already, but Border Collies typically only live to about 12 years old.

If your dog is 12 now, is it worth the stress of bringing him to Australia ?

I would have thought being parted during his twilight years would be far more stressful on both of them tbh.

Strangely enough, I've found that only some cheaper properties tend to be funny about pets. For decent family houses, most will consider them - they may take a pet bond. If you're up against a family with no pets then you may lose out but apart from that you should be OK. Some say 'outside pets only' - you can always say your pet lives outside and shove their food bowl etc outside on inspection day. As long as they are not destructive you should have no bother, and even if they are destructive, agents here have no problems with helping themselves to a fair chunk of your bond for any perceived damage... Do take lots of photos when you move in though. Our house has very damaged scratched floors as a result of the landlord's dog and I don't trust my agent not to try to blame it on my cat to help themselves to my money.

I'm sure you have thought about this already, but Border Collies typically only live to about 12 years old.

If your dog is 12 now, is it worth the stress of bringing him to Australia ?

Dont know where you have heard that or if you know Border Collies. They can live until they are 20! My family Border Collie was 17 when she died.

Our ur vet has said he is very healthy with a very healthy heart so I would be bringing him over to be with us.

Rented in Melbourne for 9 years with two dogs, never had a knock back or issue and ive lived in East Melbourne, Camberwelll and North Fitzroy in some pretty nice places.

Ah that's great! We are looking the South Melbourne/Albert park area ideally. We will be over from November and the dog will follow the end of Jan so we have plenty of time!

It will of course depend on the area. Less chance in the city, but I assume with a collie you will want to be more suburban anyway. Don't ignore properties that do not say pets welcome. We do not state it on our adverts but all of our tenants have had dogs!

We were hoping to be near the city but not in the city. Looking at South Melbourne/Albert park areas and the surrounding areas near there really! Hopefully it will be ok! I've put together a renting profile for us and the rental properties we have rented whilst having the dog in the UK.

Dont know where you have heard that or if you know Border Collies. They can live until they are 20! My family Border Collie was 17 when she died.

Our ur vet has said he is very healthy with a very healthy heart so I would be bringing him over to be with us.

Yes I have one. Our last one lived to 14.

Here is some info for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Collie

Archived