Tax Help Australia

Mimi Yuen Tax Agent

Hi Mimi,

I do have a question if I may, I am about to leave Australia very soon, and my question is Can I submit my tax to the office earlier, and if so, will I need to get the agencys to send me over the paperwork

right away and let them know in the process that I am leaving Australia

many thanks

Hi Jon,

Please visit the below link for eligibility and further instructions on lodging an early tax return.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Going-overseas/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodging-your-tax-return-early/

In regards to your superannuation: when you ask "how long does this take to hit my account" are you referring to your employer's payment to your superannuation account in Australia? Or are you referring to the transfer of superannuation from Australia to your home country?

The link below has instructions and a form that may assist you in this process.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Applying-for-a-Departing-Australia-super-payment/

I hope this helps :)

• 3 months later...

Hi

I arrived in Brisbane 1 May last month and started a permanent job on the 16th May. I got permanent resident visa. Is it correct I will have less in the tax free allowance until I have lived here for six months? I'm used to do my own tax return from my home country so will continue with that, do you have any advice or things I need to be aware off when I do my tax return?

many thanks.

Hi

I arrived in Brisbane 1 May last month and started a permanent job on the 16th May. I got permanent resident visa. Is it correct I will have less in the tax free allowance until I have lived here for six months? I'm used to do my own tax return from my home country so will continue with that, do you have any advice or things I need to be aware off when I do my tax return?

many thanks.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Tax-free-threshold-for-newcomers-to-Australia/

Hi AnnetteV.

This might help.

I anticipate that you can reasonably self assess yourself as a tax resident of Australia since your arrival in May.

See also: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Coming-to-Australia/Moving-to-Australia-permanently/#HowtaxworksinAustralia

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mimi,

My wife and I arrived in Australia in May this year. I started working in June and my wife has been unemployed for entire time following our arrival.

Should any of us file tax return in Australia?

Thanks

Sent via Tapatalk

Hi Mimi,

My wife and I arrived in Australia in May this year. I started working in June and my wife has been unemployed for entire time following our arrival.

Should any of us file tax return in Australia?

Thanks

Sent via Tapatalk

Sounds like your wife doesn't need to file a tax return, but if you had tax deducted from your pay in June you not only need to file a tax return but you should want to file one as it's how you get your tax refund. You'll have been taxed as if you'd been earning at the same rate all year long and of course you haven't. You're probably due a refund of all the tax you had deducted.

Is it okay for any member to create a sticky thread for their business ?

Members don't create sticky threads. Only mods and admin can make a thread a sticky. If you have concerns about a thread you should hit the report button.

Guest The Pom Queen
Is it okay for any member to create a sticky thread for their business ?

Yes if they ask us first. As Nicky mentioned all stickies are created by mods or admin.

In this instance though Mimi is inundated with work and as asked that I close the thread. If there are any other tax agents on the forum who would like to run something similar they are more than welcome to chat with me.