Can you ping pong as a PR

CowlingAFC

Thinking of heading back to the UK after Xmas.

I I originally thought it be best if I stay to get my citizenship so that I can come back if I hoose later down true track, but I now believe I can do hat anyway on a PR

can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

cheers

I'm no expert, but the way I understand it, a PR can come and go as much as they want for 5 years after their Medical / Police Check date, as long as its activated within 1 year... however after 5 years you can stay forever but if you leave you can't come back without another visa

The travel (entry) rights on a PR visa only last 5 years. If you're outside Australia when the travel rights expire, you need another visa to enter. Many people get a Resident Return Visa (RRV) before they travel which extends the entry rights for another 1-5 years depending on how long you've lived in Australia.

Someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in, but surely a permanent resident is exactly that - permanent?

So you can come and go as you please?

No you can't. You can be gone for quite a long time but at some point, you'll need to apply for a RRV and if you forget, then you lose PR status. If you stay away long enough, then you can't get another RRV and that's that. Not worth the risk IMO.

as someone who 20+ years later came back on a RRV if you can stay and get Citizenship. This would have made it so much easier for us due to loads of reasons. But we were lucky enough to get a RRV after that length of time so took the opportunity. Now we have to go through the full 4 years this time to get citizenship and will not move until we accomplish that this time. But hey lifes an adventure........

So how long does the rrv last? Is it hard to get one?

How long have you been living in Australia? That's the point to answer your 2 questions.

In case you're here for 2 (+) years you'll get a RRV for 5 years and it's very easy to get one online (costs you around 330 bucks or so).

But if you're living here less than 2 years it's hard to answer as immigration will take that matter to a 'case to case' basis, where you have to prove substantial ties towards Australia. In the end they can issue a RRV for 3 months, 1 year...but the rules are changing constantly and if you want to be on the safe side stay at least for 2 years to secure another 5 years RRV. That's my advise for you mate.

Edited by silencio

So how long does the rrv last? Is it hard to get one?

It will be for five years if you have spent two years in the country and one year if not. I don't think you can count on being able to keep getting them over and over again, rules might change for a start. The only certain way to know you can come and go as you please forever is citizenship.

Someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in, but surely a permanent resident is exactly that - permanent?

So you can come and go as you please?

It used to be that way but changed long time ago. Permanent residency nowadays means inside of Australia it's permanent. I know elderly people on a PR/RRV without a valid/expired passport and they stay here until the end.

Outside of Australia migrants have to follow the outlined rules and smart people always stay connected with immigration ever changing rules and regulations as RRV's rules change from time to time and who knows what comes next as I predict it won't become easier especially for 'older' PR/RRV holders with a long period of absence

Edited by silencio

Been here over 2 years yes.

As mentioned above , things can change down the track, but if I was to go back to the UK and not return in that 5year period, can I extend it?

or if I was to enter oz during the 5years and potentially leave again, can I get another 5year extension?

i realise the citizenship is the best prion but he way I'm feeling right now I can't stay another year or 2 to get it

thabks all for your comments

As mentioned above , things can change down the track, but if I was to go back to the UK and not return in that 5year period, can I extend it?

or if I was to enter oz during the 5years and potentially leave again, can I get another 5year extension?

i realise the citizenship is the best prion but he way I'm feeling right now I can't stay another year or 2 to get it

thabks all for your comments

I think this has been answered already, but I will summaries the key points.

At the moment, two years residence during the previous five year visa is required for another five year visa. Otherwise a one year or three month visa may be issued if there are substantial ties found.

Visas are not extendable, when they run out you have to apply for a new one.

These are the rules now and they could change. Citizenship is the only way to get assurance of being able to come and go as you please for the rest of your life.

Edited by Bungo

Right now, yes I believe you could extend it. But bear in mind, that could change at any time. The rules used to be much harsher - when I arrived 30 years ago, if I left Australia for more than two years I'd lose my PR and wouldn't be allowed to re-apply, end of story. Who knows, there's nothing to stop them going back to that regime if they feel like it - and if they do, you're stuffed.

Looking back at your other threads, you were so thrilled to get your PR, what's changed? Could you make some changes to your life in Australia that would make things more bearable?

So when you say I would have to apply for another visa after the rrv runs out...is that the whole process again? Ie; idlts, skills tests etc??

No I think people mean you have to apply for another RRV. If that is declined, then yes, it is back to the beginning of the process again.