Our Queensland tour

Gbye grey sky

Bit of a dull old drive last weekend from Hervey Bay up to Mackay. From there we went west and have been staying at Broken River in beautiful Eungella National Park hiking trails through the (very dry) rainforest. Seeing the platypus in the wild a real highlight and I also snapped a young python crossing my path. Recommend this place, it's fantastic. Tried to upload a video of the platypus but struggled with that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for lack of updates. Internet issues mainly but also uploading pictures onto my iPad (lost my usb adaptor) and time. Anyway after leaving Broken River we made the short journey for a 2 night stop in Bowen. A beautiful if sleepy little place which I would thoroughly recommend and right off the Bruce Highway. Awesome views from Flagstaff Hill lookout and Horseshoe Bay is a gorgeous little beach with a great circular walk.

From Bowen we had lunch in Townsville and then stopped a couple of nights at Cardwell to break the journey to Cairns. Nearby waterfalls and swimming holes had suffered through a lack of rain. It was here we found our daughter had acquired a tic on her torso which had to be removed and which must have come from our rainforest walk in Eungella a few days earlier. It had been feasting on her for days so was quite bloated.

Apologies for lack of updates. Internet issues mainly but also uploading pictures onto my iPad (lost my usb adaptor) and time. Anyway after leaving Broken River we made the short journey for a 2 night stop in Bowen. A beautiful if sleepy little place which I would thoroughly recommend and right off the Bruce Highway. Awesome views from Flagstaff Hill lookout and Horseshoe Bay is a gorgeous little beach with a great circular walk.

From Bowen we had lunch in Townsville and then stopped a couple of nights at Cardwell to break the journey to Cairns. Nearby waterfalls and swimming holes had suffered through a lack of rain. It was here we found our daughter had acquired a tic on her torso which had to be removed and which must have come from our rainforest walk in Eungella a few days earlier. It had been feasting on her for days so was quite bloated.

We then started the road south heading into the gorgeous Atherton Tablelands and staying 3 nights in Atherton. We had visited Sweet Farm where they grow cocoa and sugar and make beautiful Daintree chocolate when in Mossman and followed this with a visit to Jacques coffee plantation. The possible highlight here aside from the magnificent scenery in the area was probably historic Herberton which is well worth a visit. The biggest suprise here was the weather and not because we experienced the first real rain on our tour but how cool it is this far north with daily maximums of only 19C and chilly nights. I got some use out of my jeans for a couple of days.

From Atherton we travelled the short journey down to Mission Beach with some lovely stops en route. One of the great things about Queensland is stopping off at tiny unheralded places which we did at Cowley Beach. A stunning beach with nobody there we had a picnic lunch and then strolled along the beach. I confess though that I walked a little further from the water after we stumbled across the body of a crocodile covered in flies presumably washed up on the last tide.

I am writing this update in Mission Beach where we will also be staying tomorrow night. Then on to Townsville and Magnetic Island on our long road south.

Thanks to guidance from @Bobj and TPQ we are then staying in Seaforth for a couple of nights. Further update to follow.

Edited by Gbye grey sky
Typo

I am so jealous,, i cannot wait to take off around Aus and discover all the hidden gems.

Cal x

I've been living in WA for 23 years and haven't scratched the surface of the one state yet. I love it down South but there aren't enough holidays from work for long trips that I would like to do. On top of that it's a bit expensive to keep going on holiday. We've had a trip over to Queensland and really enjoyed it but there is so much to see and do that we felt rushed. I could easily spend a couple of weeks in Noosa for example and be able to feel relaxed and just find the nice spots in Noosa to go to. As it was we had a day there and had to squeeze in a visit to Australia Zoo on the same day.

If it wasn't for work and if we had unlimited funds boy what a great time we could have. Enjoying the photos though.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
It was here we found our daughter had acquired a tic on her torso which had to be removed and which must have come from our rainforest walk in Eungella a few days earlier. It had been feasting on her for days so was quite bloated.

For cats and dogs you can get a flat tick remover. It is called a Tick Twister (https://www.lovethatpet.com/store/dogs/flea-tick-worming/tick-treatment-for-dogs/tick-twister/) - works extremely well on humans too.

When you use a normal pair of tweezers you run the risk of leaving some of the tick legs or body behind in the skin - not good. But the Tick Twister (two sizes depending on tick size) will lift everything out.

Also a must for your traveling first aid kit is Oil of Wild Oregano: http://solutions4health.com.au/our-products/20ml-bottle-oil-of-wild-oregano/

Last time I got a tick I could not find my Tick Twisters. So put several drops of this oil on the little bugger and it dropped right off. Then afterwards more drops of oil stopped the itch completely, and more drops over 24 hours helped to heal the bite. Works even better than Lavender Oil.

What did you think of Mossman? I was thinking of having a look to move there in the near future, any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Mossman Gorge is stunning. I loved it there.

If you can afford it, I suggest splashing out and staying here: http://www.silkyoakslodge.com.au/

Worth trying to make it up to The Daintree only an hour north, and the another 30 mins north you have the magnificent Cape Tribulation.

We drove from Port Douglas to Mossman to Daintree and then up Cape Tribulation to the Lions's Den pub just outside Cooktown. Long way to drive for a beer but the scenery was worth it.

For cats and dogs you can get a flat tick remover. It is called a Tick Twister (https://www.lovethatpet.com/store/dogs/flea-tick-worming/tick-treatment-for-dogs/tick-twister/) - works extremely well on humans too.

When you use a normal pair of tweezers you run the risk of leaving some of the tick legs or body behind in the skin - not good. But the Tick Twister (two sizes depending on tick size) will lift everything out.

Also a must for your traveling first aid kit is Oil of Wild Oregano: http://solutions4health.com.au/our-products/20ml-bottle-oil-of-wild-oregano/

Last time I got a tick I could not find my Tick Twisters. So put several drops of this oil on the little bugger and it dropped right off. Then afterwards more drops of oil stopped the itch completely, and more drops over 24 hours helped to heal the bite. Works even better than Lavender Oil.

It is so important to get all of the tick out whether it is a human or animal who has been affected, as so many illnesses can come from ticks. Going to add Oil of wild oregano to my first aid kit now... THANKS!

It is so important to get all of the tick out whether it is a human or animal who has been affected, as so many illnesses can come from ticks. Going to add Oil of wild oregano to my first aid kit now... THANKS!

No problem.

There are loads of other uses for it:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/01/oregano-health-benefits.aspx

http://www.naturalnews.com/043170_oregano_oil_prepping_natural_antiseptic.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266259.php

I cannot take it via mouth as find it mind blowing! But some do. Closest I get is using it on my toothbrush to prevent gum disease.

Hi

What did you think of Mossman? I was thinking of having a look to move there in the near future, any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

We only stayed 2 nights and visited Mossman Gorge which was ok - but then we did longer rainforest walks in Eungella earlier in the trip and happened to see and hear more wildlife there. Mossman is a small town with a recently opened Woolworths and a decent Thai restaurant which I think had just opened when we arrived. Few other places there too; more than I expected tbh but it is quite small, if tgat is what you like. We drove from there to Cape Tribulation for the day which was good too. More lively Port Douglas is nearby but we only took a brief look there on our way past. Best to take a look and have a recce there. We were there in early spring and it was really dry (like everywhere in Queensland now) so difficult to imagine it in the summer.

I've been living in WA for 23 years and haven't scratched the surface of the one state yet. I love it down South but there aren't enough holidays from work for long trips that I would like to do. On top of that it's a bit expensive to keep going on holiday. We've had a trip over to Queensland and really enjoyed it but there is so much to see and do that we felt rushed. I could easily spend a couple of weeks in Noosa for example and be able to feel relaxed and just find the nice spots in Noosa to go to. As it was we had a day there and had to squeeze in a visit to Australia Zoo on the same day.

If it wasn't for work and if we had unlimited funds boy what a great time we could have. Enjoying the photos though.:cool:

Become a backpacker then and see the lot on the smell of a rag. Or a silk cloth anyway as not as cheap as once was, even for the back packer fraternity.

Become a backpacker then and see the lot on the smell of a rag. Or a silk cloth anyway as not as cheap as once was, even for the back packer fraternity.

Bit old for that Parley and I enjoy my creature comforts too much now. I did a fair bit of travelling when I was younger on a tight budget and know it can be done. My son told me how much he spent on a bottle of vodka in Las Vegas once and I told him me and his Mum used to have a fortnight in Corfu for the same price.:laugh:

Bit old for that Parley and I enjoy my creature comforts too much now. I did a fair bit of travelling when I was younger on a tight budget and know it can be done. My son told me how much he spent on a bottle of vodka in Las Vegas once and I told him me and his Mum used to have a fortnight in Corfu for the same price.:laugh:

I've met folk in their 70's travelling. (back packing) Never too old but the market has got younger over the years with it becoming mainstream. In the Australian context a combination of van/camping and hostel( for those inner city stays) is very doable and affordable as anything in this country.