Hawker Hunter jet crash at Shoreham

Guest Bobajob

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11818191/Plane-crashes-at-Shoreham-Air-Show-Live.html

I was due to drive right past it as we were going to roundstones pick your own. But it was a bit warm so I thought I'd call my mum. Unlikely I would have been hit, but I would have been stuck in the aftermath at the very least.

So sad. I see the planes land most days, and I always wonder.

It's horrendous. Those poor people just having a day out. We're in Croatia at the moment, but just heard that the pilot is the one who's critically injured in hospital. How on earth did he survive?!

I wondered that....ejected maybe? Can you do that in that plane?

Horrific for all those caught up in it. Rest peacefully to those poor unlucky people.

I wondered that....ejected maybe? Can you do that in that plane?

Horrific for all those caught up in it. Rest peacefully to those poor unlucky people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207016/Pilot-pulled-burning-wreckage-plane-crashes-Shoreham-Airshow.html

Andy (Pilot) was pulled from Wreakage

Not just the immediate impact but the fireball after?

Just very sad, know that stretch of road after daily commute for several years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207016/Pilot-pulled-burning-wreckage-plane-crashes-Shoreham-Airshow.html

Andy (Pilot) was pulled from Wreakage

Not just the immediate impact but the fireball after?

Just very sad, know that stretch of road after daily commute for several years

Incredible that anyone could be pulled alive from that.

I wonder what the outcome of the investigation will be; they're already talking about "a review of flying historic aircraft". I'm hoping that's not polli-speak for "we are going to ban it."

Certainly there's room to forbid any sort of acrobatic manoeuver over populated areas; they already forbid that over the actual crowds following a fatal crash a few years ago so it's not too much of a stretch to avoid road corridors as well.

An assessment does need to be made of low level classic aircraft aerobatics over people, cars etc. The pilot is an ex RAF fast jet pilot with a lot of experience, it's possible he made a mistake but it looks likely that mechanical issues were the cause, although of course we won't know for sure until the AAIB report comes out.

It's very sad for the innocent people on the ground, but a knee-jerk reaction against airshows and privately owned aircraft would be wrong, we need some inspiration in life.

Guest guest30085

Such a tragedy. RIP those poor people. I really hope the pilot pulls through, and any others who may be injured.

BBC are reporting that the casualties are up to 20 now. From the pictures before and after on the news, the road was completely packed and I fear that that figure may rise.

I just spoke to one of my colleagues who is an aviation enthusiast and was at Shoreham, he said that after the initial gasp from spectators, an awful silence fell over the crowd for what seemed like forever, and it was only broken by some people crying. I can't imagine what it would feel like. Awful awful news.

Awful news. There are crashes almost every year at these events around the world and generally result in fatalities. Statistically, given the small number of events v number of crashes and near misses, I am not really sure that they should be done. It seems a very high risk to take when normal fly bys would be almost as impressive. I am a bit risk averse and after doing some research on the subject last year have decided that as a family we won't be going to any air shows.

Don't get me started on the bull running...

Awful news. There are crashes almost every year at these events around the world and generally result in fatalities. Statistically, given the small number of events v number of crashes and near misses, I am not really sure that they should be done. It seems a very high risk to take when normal fly bys would be almost as impressive. I am a bit risk averse and after doing some research on the subject last year have decided that as a family we won't be going to any air shows.

Don't get me started on the bull running...

Many things in life that are inspirational often have an element of risk to them. I don't think we should stop doing them, simply increase the safety factors to ensure that nobody except the pilot is at risk. I am a private pilot and enjoy flying aerobatics, but personally would never do any low level stuff, but I also respect that some people choose to take that risk and they should have the right to do that. I think the planning, location and risk assessments of air shows in the UK will be increased after this.

Archived