Emigrating with my son alone

Maria18

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I hoping for some advice on my situation. I am a single mum, my son is 7. I am hoping to move to Oz when I qualify as a Mental Health Nurse (2018) but as I know it can take so long in hoping to get the ball moving soon. My problems are...I have a very small but close family here (my mum/step dad/nana/uncle) and I know I will miss them too much and feel too bad taking my son away from them, so I am hoping to go on a temporary work visa, for maybe a year, see how we find it then in the future move other there permanently. Has any body else gone over alone as a single parent or planning on doing? It would be great to hear some other stories, if it has worked out or not and how easy it is to find a school for my son (he would be 10) he sees his dad every Sunday and I am aware I would need his permission to take him, I just want this adventure for us both and to give him a better life that I feel in the UK I can't as much. And I know family is here, but I also want to show him to experience this, but then again I don't like the idea ofdisrupting his whole life (school/family/friends) but we can always come back and then in the future go back permanently if that is how we both felt? Thank you for any advice/information :)

Hello and welcome.

Honestly, for a year in 2018, I'm not sure its worth all the hassle it will be. There isn't a year long temp visa that I know of you could work on. You have a child (and possibly age against you) so a WHV is out.

Also if you are going to be newly qualified then you may find you need some work experience behind you before making a move to Aus. I don't know how it goes in mental health nursing with regard to if they like experienced nurses over ones without.

Also if you are close to your family, I think you will struggle as a single mum taking a child away from his loved ones, his Dad and so on. Especially if you only plan to go for a year.

Why not plan and save and have a 6 week blast in the school summer hols and bring your son over on a long holiday of a lifetime and explore Aus. It will be winter here but some parts are warmer then and you could backpack around with him, see lots of Aus and let him have some fun.

My hubby and his brother were taken backpacking by their mum round Europe for 3 months when they were about 9 and 7. They were from Aus so it was a big adventure for them. Both of them had the best time, remember it to this day and said it was great to do and opened their eyes to other parts of the world. You could do a similar thing with Aus.

I don't think being a single parent in Aus is a better life for a child if it means they grow up away from all the other important people in their life. Father, grandparents, uncle (and perhaps his family so cousins?) You will be working full time, on your own in a country that can be tough going, have you thought how you would cope with it all? Juggling work, social life building, activities, being there to cheer him on on the sidelines when he plays sport on the weekend.

I'd take some unusual/different holidays perhaps, including Aus and show him more of the world and what possibilities are out there. Backpack round Europe one summer, go to Canada another, travel on the cheap as much as you can. Even if its a few weeks every couple of years you could do it. Or take weekend breaks and book cheap flights on easyjet and have some fab weekends away. Surprise him, give him adventures to Iceland seeing volcanos. Or Rome for a weekend. Berlin and its history. So many possibles for a kid when they are young.

Hi.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have come up with some fab ideas for me, and I know you are right in how it would be such a struggle (juggling everything) plus being away from family. The 6 week holiday idea sounds like my best bet, get to know the place and then who knows in the future?

I would love to take him travelling, many places...Australia being my main one. I've had this idea for years now and it seems to intensify each week..there are too many things I would have to give up and like you said, a WHV wouldn't be for me as by then I will be 31 and with a child.

Thank you again for your advice, I will take it on board :) the Iceland trip is defiantely next on our list!!

I would agree with Snifter. As a single parent on a temporary visa you will struggle (I think) both financially and emotionally due to lack of a support network. As a newly qualified nurse you would be competing for positions with a number of Australian qualified graduate nurses. I would always recommend some experience behind you as nursing like all other professions is a competitive market when it comes to recruitment.

You would end up having to pay school fees in most states, in addition to probably before and after school fees due to your shift work. You will also have the dilemma of who would care for your child if you have to work nights (a lot of posts will have some degree of rotation). It's not impossible, but it would probably be a lot of hard work to achieve.

I have to agree with Snifter, that enriching his life with interesting holidays sounds like a better plan. I am struggling to see the merit in moving a child away from a father he sees regularly and close extended family or why this would be a better life for him. It sounds a bit isolating to me, for you as well as him.

If you do decide to push on, I would just recommend you try to think of really good reasons to do so, which would not include the vague notion "better life". This is something many people who have made the move would dispute, even the ones who are perfectly happy with their move and new lives. Most people say different rather than better.

I have to agree with Snifter, that enriching his life with interesting holidays sounds like a better plan. I am struggling to see the merit in moving a child away from a father he sees regularly and close extended family or why this would be a better life for him. It sounds a bit isolating to me, for you as well as him.

If you do decide to push on, I would just recommend you try to think of really good reasons to do so, which would not include the vague notion "better life". This is something many people who have made the move would dispute, even the ones who are perfectly happy with their move and new lives. Most people say different rather than better.

Agree with this. Moving to Aus is not an automatic ticket to a better life. Its different. Sometimes in some ways better, but its not a magic fix nor does it solve your problems.

Hi.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have come up with some fab ideas for me, and I know you are right in how it would be such a struggle (juggling everything) plus being away from family. The 6 week holiday idea sounds like my best bet, get to know the place and then who knows in the future?

I would love to take him travelling, many places...Australia being my main one. I've had this idea for years now and it seems to intensify each week..there are too many things I would have to give up and like you said, a WHV wouldn't be for me as by then I will be 31 and with a child.

Thank you again for your advice, I will take it on board :) the Iceland trip is defiantely next on our list!!

You seem to be the one who wants to travel to Aus. If its your itch, scratch it of course but yes, I do think better scratched by holidaying and making it an amazing trip where you can see and do lots and have something to look back on. If you move here, the odds of doing even a fraction of what you would do on a holiday are small. We've been here two years almost now and I've still to get out of the state! Sure I've been overseas in that time but I've not been to Sydney, the Barrier reef, Uluru, Melbourne, the Snowy mountains... none of it. Had I been backacking on a holiday, I'd have seen all of those and more.

I think travelling (and by that I don't mean a 2 week sit and bake on the Costa del Sol every year) and seeing the world is one of the greatest things you can do with a kid. They soak it all up, see things that no school can teach them and grow and learn as people. It also shows them the world is a big place and hopefully encourages them to want to see more of it or do more as they get older. I know that worked for me and my hubby. If you moved to Aus and stayed here, you would never see a fraction of it as the reality is once here, its bloody expensive to go anywhere, even in Aus and you'd probably not have the money. And you'd be stuck with the day to day living reality that we all face here. And holiday mode it aint.

Go plan a trip to Iceland. I think even with a long weekend you could have a great time :)

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

Thank you. I know it's just the idea that probably makes me think 'better life' for my son. I feel here in the UK there are no job prospects for him when he's older, the weather is always so dismal that we can't do many outdoor activities..but then again his family are here and I know taking us away from them would be harder than I think. I love the ideas of travelling around and holidaying with him. :) oh and them pics and amazing...Iceland has been on the agenda for a while now, I'm thinking this year hopefully :)

Thank you. I know it's just the idea that probably makes me think 'better life' for my son. I feel here in the UK there are no job prospects for him when he's older, the weather is always so dismal that we can't do many outdoor activities..but then again his family are here and I know taking us away from them would be harder than I think. I love the ideas of travelling around and holidaying with him. :) oh and them pics and amazing...Iceland has been on the agenda for a while now, I'm thinking this year hopefully :)

Many young Australians come to the UK for the better job prospects, it also really enhances their CVs because in many fields the UK is way ahead of Australia. The UK has a bigger economy and even allowing for the bigger population, the bigger economy provides opportunities, it is absurd to suggest that job prospects are better in Australia.

And as for the weather, well you know on balance, I think I slightly prefer the Australian climate, that is because I like the milder winter and that it never gets very cold (well it didn't where I lived). But it certainly has a punishing climate and I think heat, humidity and Australian rainfall kept me indoors far more than anything the UK can come up with! We moved back in January and I am outdoors either hiking or just sitting in the garden far more.

Many young Australians come to the UK for the better job prospects, it also really enhances their CVs because in many fields the UK is way ahead of Australia. The UK has a bigger economy and even allowing for the bigger population, the bigger economy provides opportunities, it is absurd to suggest that job prospects are better in Australia.

And as for the weather, well you know on balance, I think I slightly prefer the Australian climate, that is because I like the milder winter and that it never gets very cold (well it didn't where I lived). But it certainly has a punishing climate and I think heat, humidity and Australian rainfall kept me indoors far more than anything the UK can come up with! We moved back in January and I am outdoors either hiking or just sitting in the garden far more.

My son leaves next month to work as a vet at the National Stud in Ireland for just those reasons.

First, no one can predict the state the state of the two economies by then. But, at present, Australia has just as big an issue with unemployed young people as the UK. Unemployment here is also rising and the economy looking very shaky.

Yes, the weather here gets more sunshine. But, in my experience of 7 years in Oz, if you are an outdoors person in the UK you will be here. But if you are not an outdoors person in the UK you wont be here. We have just as many kids sat in their bedrooms playing Xbox as there are in the UK. Also, in summer, people stay in doors to keep out of the sun and heat. I live near a beach and it is usually deserted by midday in summer for that reason. Australians are well aware of the skin cancer issues with two in every three developing skin cancer in their lifetime.

Remember as well, that you are very close to Europe. You can travel cheaply and easily to a huge number of countries, each with their own cultures and sights and smells. Travel is a lot harder from Oz because of distance and therefore expense.

I totally get the need for adventure - just check out my avatar :) Living in Australia is not an adventure, sure the planning moving and the first few months are but before too long you are just living in Australia and the itch starts again! We found it much harder to scratch that itch there, for us it was primarily finances and I do believe nurses do have better salaries so that may not apply to you but travel, even internal is much more expensive than European travel.

Honestly in your circumstances it just doesn't make sense, your life would be so much harder without your family and your son would lose so much more than he'd gain. We moved back to the UK after 5 years when our son was 10 and a consideration was the greater career opportunities he would have in the UK.

If you've got the money though a years adventure in Australia could be appealing assuming you could get a job with sponsorship which could be achieved as a nurse. I do think my son has been enriched from his experience and if you timed it so your son came back to start high school it wouldn't affect his education.