Feel in complete dilemma

Rose11

:err: Hello, just after a bit of advice really. We are waiting for our visas - lodged June. We are a family of four kids aged 15 and 5. Our initial plan was to move in October, as that's when I can get out of my lease for my business premises and also it would mean my daughter wouldn't have to start school in sept.

We now have opportunity for my other half who's a builder to do a really good job offer which would mean staying until after Christmas, which is fine I'd got my head around as oz school year doesn't start until feb but, now I'm thinking my son would be doing his gcse's if he starts back until June so would I be cruel in taking him in jan when I should really be waiting until June to finish them?

I know it's only 6 months longer but I don't know if I will still have my marbles if I stay until June!!!! Also I worry the older he gets he's not going to want to go say if he gets a girlfriend etc.

Also my 5 year old will have started school, made friends and I'll have to take her away from them.

I will have sold my business up too so I won't be working. :wacko:

Sorry if I've gone on a bit, anyone had anything similar or can offer any advice or please just tell me what to do!! Feels like EVERYTHING is in limbo and sending me nuts. Just want to do what's best for the kids.

Thankyou formreading

Re your 5 year old, I'd not overthink it re the friends at school. Our son moved in the first term of Y1 in England and went straight into school in Aus a week later after the spring school holidays. Didn't really bat an eyelid and settled really well. Most kids on the younger side adapt to school changes pretty well on the whole I think.

I gend end to agree with the others about GCSE sitting. Although no one knows the future and if you will settle in Aus longer term or not. You can only go with what you feel. What does your son think? Has he had any input in the process, is he keen to move to Aus? if so I'd be inclined to go with that if he is and not delay.

Thankyou both, I didn't know if was going to be beneficial or not him even doing them.

Will he go into year 11 in feb do you know? Or will he have to redo year 10?

If we go in January I also feel bad sending him back to school in sept to start his gcse's and then take him out at Christmas. Would you send back for the 3 months?? Would I even be allowed to keep him off?

Sorry all the questions! :confused:

Thankyou both, I didn't know if was going to be beneficial or not him even doing them.

Will he go into year 11 in feb do you know? Or will he have to redo year 10?

If we go in January I also feel bad sending him back to school in sept to start his gcse's and then take him out at Christmas. Would you send back for the 3 months?? Would I even be allowed to keep him off?

Sorry all the questions! :confused:

I'd not feel bad about sending him for a few months. Honestly, you are migrating, some tough calls have to be made and seen through. Though this isn't a tough one from where I am sitting :) not in the bigger picture sort of thing. You won't be allowed to keep him off that long in the UK unless you home school. I'd let him have the normality of school till you are ready to leave and a big adventure starting in the Christmas holidays.

What is s DOB? that usually will sort what year he will be in. Don't worry if he has to do a year over as such. Different school system and all that, having that breathing room to settle and adjust could be good.

Re your 5 year old, I'd not overthink it re the friends at school. Our son moved in the first term of Y1 in England and went straight into school in Aus a week later after the spring school holidays. Didn't really bat an eyelid and settled really well. Most kids on the younger side adapt to school changes pretty well on the whole I think.

I gend end to agree with the others about GCSE sitting. Although no one knows the future and if you will settle in Aus longer term or not. You can only go with what you feel. What does your son think? Has he had any input in the process, is he keen to move to Aus? if so I'd be inclined to go with that if he is and not delay.

Sorry id id posted before seeing other comments. :0)

Thankyou, , my son wants to go in October! As do I really but I think financially we would be silly to turn down other halves work, so just getting head around going January.

He was 15 in July, so not sure if he would go straight into yr 11?

I havent even even registered my little girl in a school anywhere so she hasn't even got one to go to yet, as we were aiming for October .

:shocked:

I agree with everyone else, don't worry about GCSEs, I also wouldn't worry about him starting the school year for a few months in the UK, better than him kicking around at home.

But the other thing is why not walk away from the good contract and stick with your original plan of moving in October? There could always be a big job, a birthday, a family wedding, a reason to stay longer. Fact is you need to be prepared to walk away from some things and every migrant does.

I am in a similar position -I have a 15 year old and we are looking to move around October. After a bit of research, I am persuaded that the GCSE's will be useless to him in Oz. I also gather that it is in Year 11 & 12 in Oz that children get to select subjects, which of course may determine their future careers. Thus it will assist him to start Year 11 in Oz rather than get their mid-way. The sooner he moves the better. October is also a good time to move as he may get an opportunity to try out a new school in Oz and make a few friends before the long summer holiday and start of Year 11 in Feb 2016 .

Good luck whatever decision you make.

I agree with everyone else, don't worry about GCSEs, I also wouldn't worry about him starting the school year for a few months in the UK, better than him kicking around at home.

But the other thing is why not walk away from the good contract and stick with your original plan of moving in October? There could always be a big job, a birthday, a family wedding, a reason to stay longer. Fact is you need to be prepared to walk away from some things and every migrant does.

We have discussed that, and like you say there will always be a reason to stay longer. Our thinking was the job he could do he will be earning probably the most he could earn on this sort of job, the person he's doing it for is quite an opportunity in itself, our local celeb :laugh: he's worked for her for 2.5 years but she desperately wants him to do this job before we go.

But if we go October he will have to start at bottom of the pile again working for someone else, so financially I think wld be worth staying.

God it's seriously driving me nuts at the moment. Bigger picture I'm being silly and I have to stop myself and think there are people who don't even get the opportunity to get to oz so I do feel very very lucky to be in the position I'm in but it's the limbo thing I think!!

God i do go on don't i!!? :embarrassed:

I am in a similar position -I have a 15 year old and we are looking to move around October. After a bit of research, I am persuaded that the GCSE's will be useless to him in Oz. I also gather that it is in Year 11 & 12 in Oz that children get to select subjects, which of course may determine their future careers. Thus it will assist him to start Year 11 in Oz rather than get their mid-way. The sooner he moves the better. October is also a good time to move as he may get an opportunity to try out a new school in Oz and make a few friends before the long summer holiday and start of Year 11 in Feb 2016 .

Good luck whatever decision you make.

I feel exactly the same!!

Good luck to you too, I'm sure everything will work out just as it's supposed to. :0)

If your son was 15 in July then there is a small chance he would go into year 11 next January but most likely it would be year 10. My son is a whole year older than him (16 in July) and is currently in year 10, he is one of the older ones in his year but the cut-off point is roughly April. If your son went into year 11 he would be the youngest in the class and a whole year younger than some of his classmates - saying that though all schools are different and there may be a difference between states.

If your son was 15 in July then there is a small chance he would go into year 11 next January but most likely it would be year 10. My son is a whole year older than him (16 in July) and is currently in year 10, he is one of the older ones in his year but the cut-off point is roughly April. If your son went into year 11 he would be the youngest in the class and a whole year younger than some of his classmates - saying that though all schools are different and there may be a difference between states.

Thankyou, we are heading to queensland, I have a feeling it will be year 10 then - bet that's going to go down well with him :wideeyed:.

In many schools in Qld year 10 is part of Senior school and they try out their subjects for year 11. It will be a good chance for him to get used to the very different assessment system before hitting year 11. It will give him a better idea of which maths subject(s) to study.

We have discussed that, and like you say there will always be a reason to stay longer. Our thinking was the job he could do he will be earning probably the most he could earn on this sort of job, the person he's doing it for is quite an opportunity in itself, our local celeb :laugh: he's worked for her for 2.5 years but she desperately wants him to do this job before we go.

But if we go October he will have to start at bottom of the pile again working for someone else, so financially I think wld be worth staying.

God it's seriously driving me nuts at the moment. Bigger picture I'm being silly and I have to stop myself and think there are people who don't even get the opportunity to get to oz so I do feel very very lucky to be in the position I'm in but it's the limbo thing I think!!

God i do go on don't i!!? :embarrassed:

Apologies in advance but I am going to labour the point ... :smile:

There will always be good jobs ahead of you, this one is in front of your nose so it is tempting, but perhaps there is another one in your fate three years down the line in the UK. Would you stay for that? I would guess not, so why this one? To be honest migrating doesn't usually make financial sense, it is expensive to move and a lot of people take a step back (although I don't agree it puts you on the bottom of the pile again). But if you only want to do something that makes financial sense then you wouldn't be thinking of moving at all.

Moving in October, giving your son a few months to settle in before he starts the important final two school years, appears to me to be much fairer that starting him all in a rush at the beginning of the year. You also have to consider the lost opportunity cost for yourself.

I would walk away from this job. You will be walking away from jobs at some point, you just have to draw a line in the sand somewhere or you are never going to make the leap.

Probably a lot easier to arrive in QLD in October than January as you have a chance to acclimatise. Moving from the UK mid-winter to the QLD mid summer will be a bit of a shock to the system. Temporary accommodation in the school holidays may be harder to find too. I tend to agree with the points Bungo is making too.

Apologies in advance but I am going to labour the point ... :smile:

There will always be good jobs ahead of you, this one is in front of your nose so it is tempting, but perhaps there is another one in your fate three years down the line in the UK. Would you stay for that? I would guess not, so why this one? To be honest migrating doesn't usually make financial sense, it is expensive to move and a lot of people take a step back (although I don't agree it puts you on the bottom of the pile again). But if you only want to do something that makes financial sense then you wouldn't be thinking of moving at all.

Moving in October, giving your son a few months to settle in before he starts the important final two school years, appears to me to be much fairer that starting him all in a rush at the beginning of the year. You also have to consider the lost opportunity cost for yourself.

I would walk away from this job. You will be walking away from jobs at some point, you just have to draw a line in the sand somewhere or you are never going to make the leap.

I absolutely agree with what you say and if I'm honest that's what I would prefer deep down. Just the temptation of going with a little extra money is clouding it at the moment, although the leap has to be taken at some point like you say.

I feel it's a battle of head over heart.

Thankyou for your honesty and advice. :0)

Probably a lot easier to arrive in QLD in October than January as you have a chance to acclimatise. Moving from the UK mid-winter to the QLD mid summer will be a bit of a shock to the system. Temporary accommodation in the school holidays may be harder to find too. I tend to agree with the points Bungo is making too.

Good points thankyou, especially taking dogs too.

Thankyou, we are heading to queensland, I have a feeling it will be year 10 then - bet that's going to go down well with him :wideeyed:.

When we moved here my son had done a term in year 6 in England, then had to start year 5 in Australia! He wasn't too happy with that, but in reality he enjoyed being one of the older kids in the class. Being a July baby he had always been the youngest boy in his class in England - being older was a new experience for him and gave him a lot of confidence. Curriculum-wise he was ahead of his peers in Australia which gave him some breathing space to get used to the differences in the 2 systems and allowed him to concentrate on making friends without worrying about falling behind with his school work. So although it might sound like going back it isn't necessarily a bad thing (and nobody in Australia will care what school year you were in England).

Sorry id id posted before seeing other comments. :0)

Thankyou, , my son wants to go in October! As do I really but I think financially we would be silly to turn down other halves work, so just getting head around going January.

He was 15 in July, so not sure if he would go straight into yr 11?

I havent even even registered my little girl in a school anywhere so she hasn't even got one to go to yet, as we were aiming for October .

:shocked:

Which state? 15 in July would make him yr 10 for next year pretty much across the board (NSW has 31 July cut off but he would be very much the youngest and you'd probably want to hold him back anyway to be more with his age peers). Forget everything you know about UK education (year levels etc) and go with the flow. Starting in Jan makes more sense than October.

You wont get a place for your daughter until you have a permanent address so don't panic there either.

Which state? 15 in July would make him yr 10 for next year pretty much across the board (NSW has 31 July cut off but he would be very much the youngest and you'd probably want to hold him back anyway to be more with his age peers). Forget everything you know about UK education (year levels etc) and go with the flow. Starting in Jan makes more sense than October.

You wont get a place for your daughter until you have a permanent address so don't panic there either.

Going to queensland. Been looking and yes I think he will have to do year 10 onwards. My daughter is 5 next week so I don't think she starts school until jan 2017?! Does that sound right?

When we moved here my son had done a term in year 6 in England, then had to start year 5 in Australia! He wasn't too happy with that, but in reality he enjoyed being one of the older kids in the class. Being a July baby he had always been the youngest boy in his class in England - being older was a new experience for him and gave him a lot of confidence. Curriculum-wise he was ahead of his peers in Australia which gave him some breathing space to get used to the differences in the 2 systems and allowed him to concentrate on making friends without worrying about falling behind with his school work. So although it might sound like going back it isn't necessarily a bad thing (and nobody in Australia will care what school year you were in England).

Thankyou ou this puts my mind at rest somewhat. I've tried to tell my son that he will be finding everything a bit easier to start with as he's already done a yr 10 here. I think he just wants to get to australia now he will go into any year! :cute:

Going to queensland. Been looking and yes I think he will have to do year 10 onwards. My daughter is 5 next week so I don't think she starts school until jan 2017?! Does that sound right?

I'd think your daughter would start school in Jan 2016. She is 5 in August 2015 so is within the cut off from what I can see.

https://www.qld.gov.au/education/earlychildhood/prep/pages/enrolments.html

As @Bungo said "To be honest migrating doesn't usually make financial sense, it is expensive to move and a lot of people take a step back (although I don't agree it puts you on the bottom of the pile again). But if you only want to do something that makes financial sense then you wouldn't be thinking of moving at all."

I think that should be put in a banner at the top of the site! I'm surprised how many people still seem to think that they'll recoup the cost of migration through better salaries and greater opportunities in Australia.

Edited by Marisawright