parking options in CBD

mallard76

Hi,

not sure whether this is the right subforum, but...

the way things stand at the moment, we will need to park a few times in Sydney CBD during our activation trip and I am trying to figure out the most cost-efficient way.

It seems to me that the only way to avoid extortionate casual charges is to use "early bird" rates, however, I don't know whether car parks are usually full on a weekday or is it pretty easy to find an early bird car park on the day ? I can see that some car parks offer advance booking - is this something I should definitely consider and would that be a certain space / area within the carpark ? I've tried one booking system and it asked for my Australian address, phone number etc., obviously, I don't have these.

Can anyone share their experience ? It can be about parking in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane CBD as I am assuming these work in a similar way.

Cheers !

Are you really sure you need to park in the CBD?

Early bird parking gets filled up quickly and other parking can be hard to find and very expensive.

Being in the city in a car during the week is a nightmare. You can hardly drive through the city during the working week without being reduced to a snail pace.

Sydney is fairly compact and can be walked around and across fairly easily. Last time I walked from Surrey Hills to Circular Quay, it took me much less time than trying to drive the same route.

Parking at weekends is still busy but bearable compared to the week.

Secure Parking have several locations in the CBD: http://www.secureparking.com.au/parking-products/early-bird-parking

Personally I would be parking in an outer suburb (either on the back streets or in a train station carpark - as both free) and catching the train into the city. Then using the train, tram, bus, ferry or walking where you need to go.

Another option is to park in a Westfield Shopping Centre (or other similar shopping centre) carpark, and then catch the train into the CBD. Most shopping centres allow you to park for free for the first three hours. And their rates thereafter are a lot cheaper than a city carpark.

I usually park in the back streets of St Leonards free all day and catch the train in.

Thanks Guys. I did not think it would be so bad. I drove to London centre several times and found parking there relatively easy, if you come prepared, but I guess Sydney must be worse then.

I will research public transport and walking, but it's not an easy feat with 2 small children who are used to a bit of comfort.

Sydney is probably the worst place I have ever driven to be honest, we ended up parking outside of the CBD and getting public transport. All the major cities are more or less equally bad really. Brisbane is the best of the bunch for parking but can still be bad.

Adelaide is Ok if you know where to park. Often can find two hour spots on street for free. Or park just outside all day and walk in. Hubby walks to work in CBD from the Eastern suburbs in 25 mins, lovely walk through the parklands.

people have forgotten how to walk I think. It is good for you in many ways.

Sydney can be walked around easily, not that big.

Are you really sure you need to park in the CBD?

Early bird parking gets filled up quickly and other parking can be hard to find and very expensive.

Being in the city in a car during the week is a nightmare. You can hardly drive through the city during the working week without being reduced to a snail pace.

Sydney is fairly compact and can be walked around and across fairly easily. Last time I walked from Surrey Hills to Circular Quay, it took me much less time than trying to drive the same route.

Parking at weekends is still busy but bearable compared to the week.

Secure Parking have several locations in the CBD: http://www.secureparking.com.au/parking-products/early-bird-parking

Personally I would be parking in an outer suburb (either on the back streets or in a train station carpark - as both free) and catching the train into the city. Then using the train, tram, bus, ferry or walking where you need to go.

Another option is to park in a Westfield Shopping Centre (or other similar shopping centre) carpark, and then catch the train into the CBD. Most shopping centres allow you to park for free for the first three hours. And their rates thereafter are a lot cheaper than a city carpark.

I usually park in the back streets of St Leonards free all day and catch the train in.

Totally agree with this. We parked near Waverton station last Saturday, hopped on the train and were at Wynyard (for the Rocks) in 10 mins or so. Free parking and a fairly safe area to leave the car.

we will need to park a few times in Sydney CBD during our activation trip and I am trying to figure out the most cost-efficient way.

It seems to me that the only way to avoid extortionate casual charges is to use "early bird" rates, however, I don't know whether car parks are usually full on a weekday or is it pretty easy to find an early bird car park on the day ?

I used to live in Sydney and I never had a problem finding an early bird park in the city. Mind you, I would be driving in before work so arriving around 8am. For most early birds, not that you can't leave before a certain time either!

I will research public transport and walking, but it's not an easy feat with 2 small children who are used to a bit of comfort.

How old are the children? Young enough for a pushchair?

I reckon even if they like the "comfort of a car", even they will be bored and grizzly, stuck bumper to bumper in a traffic snarl.

Your other option is to leave the children at a day care centre or with a professional nanny for the day, whilst you conduct business in the city. http://www.dialanangel.com/child-care/babysitting

I guess you convinced me to take the train to central station

Personally, I would avoid getting on and off at Central Station. The place is full of freaking weirdos!

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/free-shuttles.page

Actually don't worry about Central - just don't flash your cash around, make eye contact with anyone, act like a lost tourist, or ask for directions......and you will (should) be fine!!

Hi,

not sure whether this is the right subforum, but...

the way things stand at the moment, we will need to park a few times in Sydney CBD during our activation trip and I am trying to figure out the most cost-efficient way.

It seems to me that the only way to avoid extortionate casual charges is to use "early bird" rates, however, I don't know whether car parks are usually full on a weekday or is it pretty easy to find an early bird car park on the day ? I can see that some car parks offer advance booking - is this something I should definitely consider and would that be a certain space / area within the carpark ? I've tried one booking system and it asked for my Australian address, phone number etc., obviously, I don't have these.

Can anyone share their experience ? It can be about parking in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane CBD as I am assuming these work in a similar way.

Cheers !

The main thing with Brisbane would be if M-F to get there early enough to get an all day early bird park as after that you are charged huge amounts for per hour parking. If you can't make the early bird times on M-F you can just park near a stop on the free city hopper ferry route (the red ferries) and pop into town that way.

On the weekends is fine, $5 parking in a couple of large carparks anytime.

Archived