Booking those 1-way flights

Mazza227

When the time comes to book your flights, which companies have been found best to book through? I heard there was a company where you get extra baggage allowance for being a migrant, not sure if you needs visa number for this, or what company is called? I'm hoping we will have visas by December (or even November) and want to fly out March time.

We are thinking of flying via Singapore to get the longer flight over first, and maybe even doing a stopover (we have youngish children so think it will be better for them)

thanks in advance :smile:

I always look at prices through a search engine like Expedia.co.uk but then book directly with the airline.

There are very few options for getting an extra "migrants allowance". My advice is not to get fixated on it, some airlines charge very little for an extra bag anyway and then some are extortionate, look at the overall price.

I think Singapore is the most boring place on earth personally, but mamy seem to love it as an option and certainly seems a good choice for families.

Ah ok, I thought you meant a two / three day stopover. On my various flights out, I have transferred in Dubai, Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Long queues at transfer security in Dubai and then some at boarding gate in Singapore too, much quicker in Hong Kong but the airport is enormous and my connecting flights always seem to be at the opposite ends and I end up very hot and bothered as I race through with a short connection time! So overall, yes I prefer transferring in Bangkok (great lounges) or Singapore although I can't say I have ever noticed much to do.

Edited by Bungo

I'm not really planning on doing much in Singapore, but there seems loads in the airport to do and can book a room for a few hours to get some rest/stretch legs etc. kids can burn some energy running round:wink:

Yeah the airport is fantastic. Loads to do and definitely spend some time at the swimming pool in T1 if you want to get the kids tired and for you to de-stress.

Skyscanner.net is a great site for checking available fares.

We found Singapore Airlines very good with children. Timing of flights worked well - 11.30 am from Heathrow so kids slept at tail end of first flight and a few more hours for the second. We arrived at 7.30 pm in Brisbane and kids went straight to bed. Is more expensive than other airlines but very good baggage allowance and excellent staff - particularly getting the kids extra drinks, snacks and bringing them sandwiches when they slept through meals. We had 2 hours in Singapore - pleased we didn't stop over as feel it just prolongs the journey rather than adding to the experience.

You used to be able to get extra luggage for free if emergrating as long as you hadn't already validated the visa, which you havnt.

I think doing a stop off is a great thing to do, a bit of fun before you land here and have to start your life again from scratch:wacko:

I know when we came, I played a couple of the travel agents off against each other, basically I had one phone, daughter had another and I would say, ok xx can do it for this much, can you beat that??

It worked, got money off the price originally quoted, and got 3 nights in a four star hotel with transfers in Hong Kong for free:cool:

Not sure i would book flights before physically having the visa in my hand though!!

We got 40kg each flying with Singapore airlines when we came out 11 months ago as we were validating the visas. Not sure if it's still the same.

We had 90 mins in Singapore and actually it worked well for us (no kids tho!) just coming straight through. We booked directly on their website as the price was the cheapest. Make sure you join any frequent flyer schemes though!!

Thanks for all your replies. So if you are emigrating then, you automatically get extra baggage allowance then (as long as not validated visas)?

Not going to book the flights until we get visas, but just trying to get a list together so when we do, I know the best people to contact etc.

So if you are emigrating then, you automatically get extra baggage allowance then (as long as not validated visas)?

Only if the airline actually offers it (not many do?), and you will probably have to phone them to get the deal.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/226827-migration-airline-fares.html

Edited by mungbean

Some airlines charge for one way flights as only slightly more than half the return fare. Others seem to charge more for one way than return. So do shop around.

I picked a different route for my migration: Edinburgh - London - Los Angeles - Auckland - Melbourne. I had 24 hours in LA to recover from the first flight (they have shuttle buses to the nearby hotels) and flying westward is much better for reducing jet lag.

Thanks for all your replies. So if you are emigrating then, you automatically get extra baggage allowance then (as long as not validated visas)?

No. Only Singapore Airlines really offers this, and you will not find the info documented anywhere on their website, so you must confirm it with them in advance as essentially it's a goodwill gesture. The best way to do this would probably be to put a booking on hold and have them update the baggage allowance to 40kg before ticketing. Otherwise, get something in writing.

Other airlines offer 'migrant fares' which when you do the maths often just seem to be the standard cost plus the cost of an extra bag!

I think some have had success with this: http://www.iomaustralia.org/projects_selfpayers.htm# ...but shop around.

Edited by bcworld

• 2 weeks later...
No. Only Singapore Airlines really offers this, and you will not find the info documented anywhere on their website, so you must confirm it with them in advance as essentially it's a goodwill gesture. The best way to do this would probably be to put a booking on hold and have them update the baggage allowance to 40kg before ticketing. Otherwise, get something in writing.

Other airlines offer 'migrant fares' which when you do the maths often just seem to be the standard cost plus the cost of an extra bag!

I think some have had success with this: http://www.iomaustralia.org/projects_selfpayers.htm# ...but shop around.

Interesting what you say about the extra allowance. I've have emailed Singapore Airways and they have not requested any flight details in advance or evidence until check in. I was under the impression that we had to request it but it appears not.

Please be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visathat specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger)

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

Anyone have a different recent experience to this? I booked a couple of days ago and fly out end of October from Heathrow.

Interesting what you say about the extra allowance. I've have emailed Singapore Airways and they have not requested any flight details in advance or evidence until check in. I was under the impression that we had to request it but it appears not.

Please be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visathat specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger)

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

Anyone have a different recent experience to this? I booked a couple of days ago and fly out end of October from Heathrow.

Out of interest Ben, what are you taking as proof of your visa? Just a print out of the confirmation? It's annoying that they don't put a label in your passport! Thanks in advance.

I believe they just check your passports but I have paper copies as well. Having a paper copy of your visa doesn't prove that you haven't activated your visa. When I again queried anything they'd like me to do before turning up with 40kg of luggage, I got this response:

Further to our previous email with regards to the migrant baggage, kindly note that the extra baggage allowance is only for seat occupying passenger. If the child is occupying a seat will be eligible (subject to visa conditions mentioned in previous email).

Kindly note that this baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

Do you think they're getting bored of me?!

Ha ha - I can hear the "kindly note" being said through gritted teeth! I'd be sending the same emails though, nervous at the thought of rocking up to the airport with 40 kg of luggage and waiting to see whether the computer will say yes or no!

Hope your journey goes well Ben. I've learned a lot from your various posts - thank you.

I also emailed them and they said the same regarding the extra allowance at check in. Just worried me if we take extra and then they say no....But then I started to think, actually how much luggage will we have as we would be allowed 30kg each anyway, and that includes 2 children. I guess it does soon add up though!

I also emailed them and they said the same regarding the extra allowance at check in. Just worried me if we take extra and then they say no....But then I started to think, actually how much luggage will we have as we would be allowed 30kg each anyway, and that includes 2 children. I guess it does soon add up though!

I came out at Easter with Singapore Air with unvalidated partner visa, travelling alone as my wife was already back in Australia having moved back into her house when tenants moved out at Christmas. I emailed them before hand and got the similar response which I printed out along with a copy of my grant letter. I just handed everything over to check-in at Heathrow with my 38Kg or luggage and let them sort it out. Took a bit of time as check-in needed to go off to get excess baggage charge discounted by airline, they did not seem to be able to do this themselves.

I worked on principle that as I was flying out a month after visa was granted that there wouldn't be any queries that it had already been validated, and there weren't.

So no real problems but worth arriving in plenty of time to get through process, which suited me as I like to be airside with plenty of time.

I was fortunate in that my sister and family took me to the airport and would have been able to take excess clothes if I had not got the extra allowance, could have replace somethings for less than cost of 10Kg excess baggage on Singapore Air.

Ahead of my big move I had had a few holidays in Australia and travelled via Singapore, Bangkok and Dubai though without long stop overs. My favourite airport is Singapore for a few hours between flights, everything is joined together so can walk between gates and terminals to stretch legs and then recover in the free leg massage chairs, good free wifi and internet terminals, plus cactus garden for a bit of fresh air.

In general Singapore Air has been a good service, though one flight had mechanical troubles at Heathrow after leaving gate and was eventually cancelled, but taken to airport hotel for night and rebooking sorted behind scenes. When I arrived at Singapore on flight next day it was greeted by staff set up to deal with people with all the different onwards connections, including meal vouchers for those having to wait a few extra hours for onwards flights. So while I would have preferred to have gone on original flight I didn't feel abandoned when it went wrong, which is what I have heard can happen.

Good luck with your move.

It should be fine re the migrant allowance if you have your visa granted and unvalidated. Print off a copy of the email and if you want your visa grant notice for all those using the allowance. Visas are electronic so they can see you have one and if it's been validated already.

Fwiw, I'd rather fly long haul via Singapore on the A380 for 13 hours then the short leg on the 777 than the Emirates short leg A380 to Dubai and then 13 hours stuck on a 777. Plus if you've a few hours at Changi airport you can take a dip in the pool and get some fresh air and stuff.

IOM ofer a migrant allowance iirc baggage wise but the flight options and routes are limited. Plus I don't think it's really at much cheaper and you don't get top he wider choice of airlines and routes.