Australia the new Greece?

MancGeek

Sorry my tongue hurts from biting it!

What a pathetic post. If your so wrapped up in money then chase the rising economies around the world, I can recommend maybe Cuba just at the moment, a great country full of great people about to be flooded with American money and tourists.

Why pathetic? We were in the same boat when we first got our visa in 03/2000. We were earning really good money and were living a very comfortable life. The A$ was very weak at that time (a lot lower against the US$ than where it is today). So we let our visas lapse in 2005, reapplied and got our PR again 2006 (MancGeek - are you able to do that, may be an option worth considering?). I finally made the move with the kids in 07/2009 and hubby joined us in 01/2011.

Unless you are really unhappy living in the UK, why would you uproot yourself and move to Australia, especially if you have family and friends, a great job and a comfortable life. I am the kind of person who would never move to another country just for the "experience".

For us the decision to move to Australia was easy though - we were career expats for 18 years, lived in the Middle East before moving here and had no ties to any particular place (family scattered all over the world). We needed to put down roots, I wanted to quit working and hubby wanted to start working for himself. We liked Melbourne when we first visited and everything seemed so cheap in 2000 (alas, when we moved the A$ was at its peak!)

For all this to happen we needed to have a lot of savings to fall back upon - which is why we continued to be "wrapped up in money" and let our visas lapse the first time! I am so glad we made the decision to chase money from 2000-2011 instead of chasing our dream of moving and settling down in Australia. By far our best decision ever, because of which, we were able to buy our home in 2012 without a mortgage, I could afford to stay at home and we were not all stressed when it took hubby 3 years to get fully established in his line of work.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we lived in Tassie we always complained that prices were far higher than the Melbourne prices. They used to have the excuse that it was isolated and everything had to be freighted over. Guess the same might apply to Perth?

Not in the case of Perth anyway. It was very well priced in the main before the so termed 'boom'. Price gorging seem to become more the norm.

"Australians will be reeling at Wednesday's gross domestic product numbers that put their country as one of the world's slowest growing developed economies, behind even financially beleaguered Greece"

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/gdp-how-australias-second-quarter-national-accounts-compare-20150902-gjdgt6.html

Dollar fell bellow 70 cents today. Painful. At least interest rates were held preventing even further loss in value.

Dollar fell bellow 70 cents today. Painful. At least interest rates were held preventing even further loss in value.

I remember not that long ago people were gloating about how the AUD was worth more than the USD and all the talk of a seemingly never ending boom because surely China would just keep on buying everything that could be dug up. That is how quickly things change.

I remember not that long ago people were gloating about how the AUD was worth more than the USD and all the talk of a seemingly never ending boom because surely China would just keep on buying everything that could be dug up. That is how quickly things change.

Blind Freddie could see a boom like that couldn't last forever. I feel sorry for people trying to pay off a huge mortgage and stuck with credit card debt.

Yes very true. I was often under sustained attack for suggesting otherwise. Plain as the eyes on tour face from where I stood that the end was insight for what some supposed was the thousand year Reich. The usual boom bust scenario sustained. China may well keep buying but not necessary what is removed from the ground.

Blind Freddie could see a boom like that couldn't last forever. I feel sorry for people trying to pay off a huge mortgage and stuck with credit card debt.

Well no many wouldn't or didn't care to contemplate such a thing. Still all too few fully recognise the severity we are likely to be in. I have notice a reticence in some of the deniers in talking the place up or the falling off as others admit defeat and pull the plug completely. Funny how in retrospect things are so much clearer.

Australia is still growing albeit slowly.

Canada just gone into recession so we are doing better than some resource based economies.

Just a question when we will enter recession. My view is Canada although hard hit as well, will fare better due to a more diverse economic base and having the worlds biggest economy on its door step being America.

Why would one feel sorry for their own mess they got themselves into? I have plenty of family over in australia, some are doing ok, others are living the life, new houses, investment properties (paying interest only mortgages) caravans, boats, new cars every few years, massive TV's, plenty of holidays, you name it the either did it or have it. A while ago speaking to my parents I found out that some had massive mortgages, loans on the cars, caravans, boats, credit cards fully maxed from going on holidays etc, yeah they are family, but do I feel sorry for them? no not one bit!!

I have one sensible cousin thats been earning well in the last 5-7 years as a self employed plumber and hasn't changed a thing about the way he lives. Yeah he'll have one or 2 holidays a year with his family, but refuses to sell up his little house in western sydney to buy something bigger and flasher, works his nuts off and is doing really well for himself... I bet he'll be the one that survives this mess, and good on him!! For the moment the others are doing fine, but I wouldn't won't them to lose their jobs, as they would be in a right mess.

I just hope the $$ falls even more so we can have a good holiday next year and bring some good $$$$ with us in several years if and when we do decide to make the leap..

Australia is still growing albeit slowly.

Canada just gone into recession so we are doing better than some resource based economies.

This is twice you have said this now and it almost sounds like 'yeah but look at Canada, they are worse'. It's irrelevant what's happening in Canada unless you are living in Canada.

Why would one feel sorry for their own mess they got themselves into? I have plenty of family over in australia, some are doing ok, others are living the life, new houses, investment properties (paying interest only mortgages) caravans, boats, new cars every few years, massive TV's, plenty of holidays, you name it the either did it or have it. A while ago speaking to my parents I found out that some had massive mortgages, loans on the cars, caravans, boats, credit cards fully maxed from going on holidays etc, yeah they are family, but do I feel sorry for them? no not one bit!!

I have one sensible cousin thats been earning well in the last 5-7 years as a self employed plumber and hasn't changed a thing about the way he lives. Yeah he'll have one or 2 holidays a year with his family, but refuses to sell up his little house in western sydney to buy something bigger and flasher, works his nuts off and is doing really well for himself... I bet he'll be the one that survives this mess, and good on him!! For the moment the others are doing fine, but I wouldn't won't them to lose their jobs, as they would be in a right mess.

I just hope the $$ falls even more so we can have a good holiday next year and bring some good $$$$ with us in several years if and when we do decide to make the leap..

Over leveraged and a house price collapse. Painful.

This is twice you have said this now and it almost sounds like 'yeah but look at Canada, they are worse'. It's irrelevant what's happening in Canada unless you are living in Canada.

Well not really as it is similar in many respects being a resource economy. That have experienced likewise conditions. A boom. Very high house prices. A high Loony (Canadian dollar) High Immigration. High rate of overseas investment in the housing industry.

Rather hard to find a less similar country really. The pain will be felt in both but Canada differs due to geographic location and more diversity within economy.

Well not really as it is similar in many respects being a resource economy. That have experienced likewise conditions. A boom. Very high house prices. A high Loony (Canadian dollar) High Immigration. High rate of overseas investment in the housing industry.

Rather hard to find a less similar country really. The pain will be felt in both but Canada differs due to geographic location and more diversity within economy.

Yeah not really my point, I wasn't questioning the similarities merely how the poster had twice said 'yeah but look at Canada'.

Ha Ha!! I remember that very clearly, not here though but it was always in the press, Julia G and Wayne Swan all trumpeting the high A$ (it was 1A$- US$1.1 at that time), like it was a great achievement on their part ( overlooking the fact that our exporters were hurting like hell) and advising how we better get used to the very high A$ because of a high demand for it and how the Australian economy was going to remain strong.

Here's a gem:

Growing investments by central banks in Australian dollar-denominated assets are inspiring thoughts that the Aussie dollar may become a major global reserve currency.

What happened to the stuff called coke we used to burn when I was a kid? It was supposed to reduce pollution.

sadly coke is the equivalent of hydrogen as a fuel, all of the damage has been done before it's sold to you and i.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel)

i agree coal should be left, it is from a bygone era.

if any of you happen to see the boy abbott could you tell him, he seems to think risking our countries wealth on coal is the way to go.

might be an idea to explain structural decline to the poor simple fellow too.

Archived