Wake Up Hostel in Sydney (Where Stacey is staying?)

MARYROSE02

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha...I passed that hostel when I was in Sydney, along with others. They all looked fab.

I don't know what street I was on, but it was just wall to wall shops, with everything to do with backpacking.

shame I saddled with a mortgage, some of the trips on offer looked amazing:cry:

i used to come in on the train from Campbeltown, rubbish journey, but when you hit central station, its like a whole new world:cool:

love Sydney :smile:

I think I know that hostel. Is it the one next to Central Station. If it is, it is in an ideal spot. Looks nice and clean too.

I took some video too inside reception but I don't seem to be able to load that onto PIO. I asked at reception if the shuttle bus also goes from the airport? Yes, every half an hour. It is in a good location at the junction of Pitt and George Sts, and the one I stayed at, YHA Central is behind it on Pitt St. This hostel looked pretty good in the reception area. I enjoyed my stay at the YHA, once I'd got over my fears of sharing a room with other guys. I'm still friends with one of them, five years on.

The last picture is of the entrance to the tunnel under Central railway, which is on my regular route when I'm either walking to or from the city along George St, or perhaps heading for Chinatown or Pyrmont or down Broadway. Everything is easy walking distance from there, with many bus routes and Central station and the tram line too.

Haha...I passed that hostel when I was in Sydney, along with others. They all looked fab.

I don't know what street I was on, but it was just wall to wall shops, with everything to do with backpacking.

shame I saddled with a mortgage, some of the trips on offer looked amazing:cry:

i used to come in on the train from Campbeltown, rubbish journey, but when you hit central station, its like a whole new world:cool:

love Sydney :smile:

It's probably George St you were referring to as I walked along George St from Goulburn St this morning. (I'd walked to Goulburn St with a friend of mine from Surry Hills to see her to work.) There is a little strip along George St, with a host of travel agents and hostels, between Eddy Ave and where Pitt and George meet. The hostel building is a sort of triangle.

The train from Campbelltown to the city is an hour wasted each day, two hours, I should say, with more time to add on if you have to get to Campbelltown station from home, and maybe get a bus when you get to the city. My brother lives out that way. I keep forgetting! He moved to Mt Annan this year.

Campbeltown is a dive hole :wacko:, MacArthur slightly better, but only just.

not places I would look at living if I moved there

I try to look for the good everywhere, and I don't mind the main street through Campbelltown. I liked the way they have preserved some old sandstone terraces, and in one of the side streets there is a colonial mansion. I feel the same way about Campbelltown as I do about Penrith, where I worked for three years. If I was just starting out in Australia, and I had a job there, I would move there. I only moved to Surry Hills because I wanted to be able to walk to work at Garden Island. I H.A.T.E. commuting, you see!

There is a place near Campbelltown that I would consider living even now, too, and that is Camden, which I love every time I go there. It has a real country town 'vibe' to it, (mostly) bogan-free, rather prosperous, and with countryside all around. It lacks only a railway station.

I try to look for the good everywhere, and I don't mind the main street through Campbelltown. I liked the way they have preserved some old sandstone terraces, and in one of the side streets there is a colonial mansion. I feel the same way about Campbelltown as I do about Penrith, where I worked for three years. If I was just starting out in Australia, and I had a job there, I would move there. I only moved to Surry Hills because I wanted to be able to walk to work at Garden Island. I H.A.T.E. commuting, you see!

There is a place near Campbelltown that I would consider living even now, too, and that is Camden, which I love every time I go there. It has a real country town 'vibe' to it, (mostly) bogan-free, rather prosperous, and with countryside all around. It lacks only a railway station.

May be wrong , but I believe that colonial mansion is some sort of catholic club?? Seems to be a lot of catholic clubs in that area!!

We had a night out in Wests in Leaumeah.....and people complain about Perth:cry:

May be wrong , but I believe that colonial mansion is some sort of catholic club?? Seems to be a lot of catholic clubs in that area!!

We had a night out in Wests in Leaumeah.....and people complain about Perth:cry:

Well, Perth is a city of two million whilst Leumeah is just another burbs, BUT I guarantee you I could pick any burb in Oz, and after a few days I would be a local. It might be easier in a far flung burb with just one or two pubs. Here in Surry Hills there are twenty, thirty, but I'm only a local in three or four. In the Trinity Bar where I am now I know all bar one of the staff.

• 3 weeks later...
I LOVE Camden too........But I HATE Campbelltown. Honestly think I am allergic to it - break out in hives every time I have to go there.

I'm in shopping centre at Mt Annan nr my brother's home. 60 km drive though fast on the M5 from nr Punchbowl. Traffic s stuffed on way to SCG so I went the other way. It's nice enough here but very family orientated. I could not live here on my own.

I wanted to go to the rocks for new year! I looked it up and it was sold out early this year. I can't find anywhere decent for new year so I'll have to hope I've found a job and I can get a flat

Are all the cruises sold out? A friend went on a dinner / drinks cruise last NYE, and said the boat had a prime spot on the harbour to see the fireworks.

https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-harbour-cruises/whats-on-in-sydney/new-years-eve/

Very expensive though

I would avoid the Rocks on NYE and view the fireworks from one of the headlands on the North side

Are all the cruises sold out? A friend went on a dinner / drinks cruise last NYE, and said the boat had a prime spot on the harbour to see the fireworks.

https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-harbour-cruises/whats-on-in-sydney/new-years-eve/

Very expensive though

I would avoid the Rocks on NYE and view the fireworks from one of the headlands on the North side

Good advice!

I think I'll just hand over my bank card and someone can pick something for me :laugh: Maybe I'll end up working new year of I end up with a agency :unsure: really hope not haha

Handing over your bank card is a BIG possibility on NYE, as everything shoots up in price. Especially round the CBD.

I am normally asleep by 9pm. NYE 2014 I managed to stay up until 11.45 but missed 2015, as fell asleep 15 mins prior.

If you have seen one fireworks display; you have seen them all!

Maybe do something unusual and free on NYE, like camping at Abercrombie Caves or bush walking at Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains. Less crowded at least.

The big rage currently is taking a flight over Antarctica on NYE: http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

I mean someone on here can pick something for me lol. I have mixed feelings about new year in sydney tbh. Part of me wants to do it just so I can say I have and I always watched the fireworks on tv when I was little. However it seems a lot of expensive fuss just for fireworks. I know everybody says the scottish make a massive deal about Hogmanay but I dont. Half the time im sleeping because I always end up with the flu at new year.

I think I'll just hand over my bank card and someone can pick something for me :laugh: Maybe I'll end up working new year of I end up with a agency :unsure: really hope not haha

I recommend trying to get tickets for somewhere like Neilsen Park. I keep meaning to apply but always forget. It's a lovely place, with a safe beach for swimming and in a natural bush setting. You cannot apply for tickets yet.

http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/nielsen-park/

I wanted to go to the rocks for new year! I looked it up and it was sold out early this year. I can't find anywhere decent for new year so I'll have to hope I've found a job and I can get a flat

You don't have to book to see the fireworks, Stacey. You just find a free vantage point and get there early - a lot of people bag their spot on the morning of New Year's Eve, take a picnic and make a day of it. Bring a wee tent or umbrella or you'll get burnt to a crisp, though. You really need a group so there's always someone to keep your spot while you go off for toilet stops etc.

Personally I hate the Rocks and Circular Quay on New Year's Eve. There are far too many drunks, and because I'm short, I can't see a thing for the crowds. I'd much rather go up to Neilsen Park and see the fireworks from a distance, or camp out for a spot on one of the North Shore places.

http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/

Accommodation in inner Sydney is always booked out months in advance for New Year.

I think I'll just hand over my bank card and someone can pick something for me :laugh: Maybe I'll end up working new year of I end up with a agency

It's very very good money working on New Year. There are so many posh functions at hotels, restaurants and boats all around the Harbour - you never know, you might end up waitressing at one of them and get a ringside seat for free!

It was my fault for saying but when I said the rocks I meant the YHA hostel because they have the roof top terrace party there, it's got a really good view. I haven't a clue where I'll go. I don't know wether I'll go with the girls im meeting or I'll go with other people I meet. It's hard to plan something like that, I don't want to just buy a ticket alone incase I don't meet anybody who's doing the same thing.

I don't think a posh place would hire me Maria lol I've never worked in one and I can't even carry 3 plates :laugh: Wouldn't mind the money though!

Archived