Health insurance and Medicare

homer911

Hey everyone, just looking for some onfo on the above. We have bupa health insurance and we also have a reciprical agreement with medicare. Are we wasting our money?

I have tried to search for info online about what i am entitled to with the reciprical agreement but couldnt finf much.

IT depends on a lot of factors. Including how much you earn as high earners are slugged with a tax if they don't have insurance.

We had the top of the range insurance for a long time and recently dropped the hospital cover as Medicare covers it. Only issue would be waiting lists as some none urgent procedures can have long wait times on Medicare. We have kept cover for dental, optical and ambulance. Some states ambulances are free. But some aren't and WA it is hundreds and maybe thousands if you use an ambulance. Dental is not covered by Medicare and is incredibly expensive.

Dental is not covered by Medicare and is incredibly expensive.

This is true, but the rebates you get through insurance are risible. You might get 60% of out of pocket expenses up to a maximum of $500 - but the treatment costs $5000. Many people who need major dental work will go overseas to Thailand, Malaysia or India where the costs are lower.

We don't have cover, just save it and budget for health. Most stuff is free on Medicare. I just had x rays and scans on an injured shoulder no waiting and free, will get the report tomorrow, yes Saturday. Can't argue with that.

dont even have ambo cover. Have never needed one in 59+ years so even if I have to pay now I am in pocket.

You do need to save the money you would spend on premiums though. It seems to me people with private cover still pay for treatment I get for free. Go figure!

dont even have ambo cover. Have never needed one in 59+ years so even if I have to pay now I am in pocket.

The flaw in the plan is if you ever need to be airlifted by chopper -- costs considerably more than an ambulance..

Guest Dave53
Valid point!! Its the rare occurrances that may happen. Slim chances but can happen.

I can't vouch for other states , however , in NSW all hospital to hospital transfers whether by road ambulance or by air are free to the patient ... Transports from homes or accident sites are another issue though.

Dave C

Dental for us is worth having insurance. We pay $65 a month for extras - dental, optical, ambulance and a few other bits.

For that, we get two check ups at the dentist with no out of pocket costs per year. We get back 60% of general dental costs up to $1000 and 60% back of major dental up to $5000. Given that a crown recently totalled $5k that is a good chunk back.

I have aver had to use an ambulance and it was $700 for a very short trip with no treatment. I get back 100% of any ambulance costs with no cap.

Archived