The immigration advisory service ???Have they gone bust???

Gerrymoo2000

I have applied for my visa through a company called The immigration advisory service. For the last few months I've hade no communications from them and the web site is no longer available (worrying I know) I've paid them over £3k:ssign1:........... Just wanted to know if anybody else was in the same situation and where do I go from here. I have sent all my trade certificates and I was waiting for my skills assessment.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have applied for my visa through a company called The immigration advisory service. For the last few months I've hade no communications from them and the web site is no longer available (worrying I know) I've paid them over £3k:ssign1:........... Just wanted to know if anybody else was in the same situation and where do I go from here. I have sent all my trade certificates and I was waiting for my skills assessment.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not looking good. Website is down, whois on the website is screened by privacy, facebook page removed, twitter account not updated since 2013.

The only trace I can find of a company with that name now, refers to a company that went bust in 2011, presumably you had dealings more recently than that!

I was about to say the same.

Not sure if any of the posters get a resolution but might be worth finding the threads and sending a PM to the original poster.

I dealt with them starting in January 2014, the immigration advisory service is a different company to "The immigration advisory service"

Those are the same words. :wacko: So it is very hard to look around.

Is that the precise name of the company you used? What about the website url, can you tell us what you are using, so that we can eliminate others?

When did you last hear from them?

Mmm yes I did see that one, but it just times out.

Even when a migration agency goes bust, as one or two have done that I know of, they are supposed to hand their clients off to another agent. I don't know that these have gone bust, but even so someone should have been in touch. When did you last hear from them?

Perhaps the thing to do is track down this Markham chap through his other businesses and try to extract answers that way.

Depending on whether the payments were made to a LTD company (a lot of their companies are shell companies backed up by a holding company, but some of them appear to be sole trader setups) it may be possible to bring small claims against the directors as individuals (this is important, as if a claim is brought against a liquidated LTD company the directors won't be held responsible unless it can be proved they were negligent) and then get baliffs instructed to recover the debt. It's a long shot though.

Best option is for anyone affected to make a complaint against the directors via companies house and let them investigate: https://www.gov.uk/company-director-disqualification

Until the Australian Government does something to address the issue of overseas operators this type of thing will continue to happen.

Currently only people operating in Australia must be Registered to give Australian migration advice.

Anyone operating overseas can do and say whatever they want with impunity. They do not even need to be trained or have any knowledge of the Migration process.

This is a sad case and unfortunately all too common.

and while I was looking..

http://www.teachingaustralia.co.uk/contact/

who are registered MIRA agents..

But it appears that they are actually this bunch..

http://www.violetpopsiclemedia.com

and in case you want to see their current brands/ companies ...

http://www.violetpopsiclemedia.com/brands/

A company can't be a MARA agent, only individuals can register, not companies.

Until the Australian Government does something to address the issue of overseas operators this type of thing will continue to happen.

Currently only people operating in Australia must be Registered to give Australian migration advice.

It is difficult to see what the Australian Government can do; they don't have jurisdiction outside Australia.

It is difficult to see what the Australian Government can do; they don't have jurisdiction outside Australia.

They do have jurisdiction over who they will accept visa applications from. Other countries have been able to address this issue.

The current situation is simply untenable.

An overseas operator can make any unfounded claims they wish, be completely untrained in Migration, have no trust account operation, no indemnity insurance, no access to the Migration Regulations, yet the Immigration Department will accept an application from them, irrespective of the quality of the work or their record.

A Registered Migration Agent by comparison must maintain yearly registration, be trained in Australian Migration, undertake regular continuing development courses, operate under a code of conduct, operate a trust account, have access to the Migration Regulations, Act and Policy, maintain professional indemnity insurance, comply to strict advertising standards, is liable to auditing by the MARA, etc, etc, etc.

But you couldn't enforce any kind of registration for agents overseas. You couldn't prosecute malfeasance; the worst you could do is take away their accreditation - but would be powerless to do very much if the company continued to claim to be accredited. The world is so large, it couldn't be policed and bad guys would just locate their operation in a country that would not enforce any complaints that the Australian Government might make. As for not accepting applications from overseas agents - how would that be enforced? The applicants would have signed the form and given the agent's address as the correspondence address. The Australian Government would never know that the application did not come directly from the applicant. It's really just a case of caveat emptor.

Archived