Can mum stay?

Sandsmuir

My father passed away very recently and I want to have my mother stay with us in OZ as much as is allowed. At the moment we believe she can come on a visitors visa for 90 days unless we are wrong about that! Can we get permission for longer periods? Are we able to make her a dependent on our own visa?

My father passed away very recently and I want to have my mother stay with us in OZ as much as is allowed. At the moment we believe she can come on a visitors visa for 90 days unless we are wrong about that! Can we get permission for longer periods? Are we able to make her a dependent on our own visa?

Visitor visas can be obtained for up to 12 months.

Once a permanent visa is granted, it is not possible to add anybody else on as a dependent, not even a new born baby and certainly not a parent. You would need to look into parent visas now.

Hard to get though I believe. Although, I have been told that once you have applied, you have right of abode until its processed. (By my mum's friend) I did question it. But she's been living there for years, and has had heaps of medical treatment. Be interested to hear if anyone knows different.

A child cannot sponsor a parent for this visa.

Look into a bridging visa for her.

The only way to get a bridging visa is to apply for another substantive visa. So one of those needs to be identified first of all, perhaps the parent visa if funds are no issue.

A child cannot sponsor a parent for this visa.

Visa applicants >> Who could get this visa

Who is your near relative

Your near relative is your parent or your partner's parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister; child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner's daily care and control.

EDIT: think i need to re-read the spec!

Visa applicants >> Who could get this visa

Who is your near relative

Your near relative is your parent or your partner's parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister; child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner's daily care and control.

EDIT: think i need to re-read the spec!

Don't understand your point?

Unless she has no financial income of her own (e.g. no government pension, no personal pension, etc.) she won't be considered dependent on you so that's not an option. A parent visa would only be an option if you had a PR visa, at which time she can look at the parent visas - the contributory one is very expensive but more likely to be granted in her lifetime. Until you get your PR visa, the most she can do is visit for as long as they'll give her visitor visas for.

two options I think, they recently brought in a longer visitor visa for parents... or they come here then apply onshore for the parent one ( you dont need to get the expensive one) its got something like a 50 year waiting time but you can get put on bridge visa if applying onshore.

The OP is on a 489 visa, so a parent visa isn't an option unless there are other siblings who could sponsor (assuming the parents pass the balance of family test). I think even the longer visitor visas are only granted to parents of PR holders. But hopefully a 6-month or 12-month 600 visa may be an option.

two options I think, they recently brought in a longer visitor visa for parents... or they come here then apply onshore for the parent one ( you dont need to get the expensive one) its got something like a 50 year waiting time but you can get put on bridge visa if applying onshore.

Do you know how hard it is to get a bridging visa?

Archived