When's to early to inform employer ?

GoldcoastMAD

When should I tell my employer of my migration plans ? 12,6,3 months before ...or just give standard notice ?

as the 12 months countdown begins to my Emigration , it becomes harder to hide from my employer .... And I'd like to start networking .

Edited by GoldcoastMAD

I have been completely up front with mine as there was an opportunity of a transfer, but that didn't come off. I now need to be wary of being forced into Gardening leave. If I get a job with a rival in Sydney then I could be put out to grass and not have an income after my notice period. Tricky one where I need to tell future employers in Sydney to keep schtum.

I definitely found it liberating to do that and I was able to frame it as a really long notice or handover period. If your boss is going to be like mine and take it as an opportunity to develop someone else while you are still there, then that is better for them than advertising the position, going through loads of CVs and interviews so it might be appealing to them.

What do you do?

Just dont tell them. I never told my boss until I gave my usual months notice and resigned. They could make your life hell in the meantime and i have heard of instances of that happening, come up with some excuse to make you redundant before you go (in which case a redundancy package would come in helpful). Would you tell them you are looking for another job? Probably not.

I definitely found it liberating to do that and I was able to frame it as a really long notice or handover period. If your boss is going to be like mine and take it as an opportunity to develop someone else while you are still there, then that is better for them than advertising the position, going through loads of CVs and interviews so it might be appealing to them.

What do you do?

I work in IT for a large government establishment , in a new role which I started end of last year ( worked here for 5 years) . Problem is some of our customers are friends of friends , And it's becoming hard to hide. I would say they definitely depend on my skills , but no one is irreplaceable .

Just dont tell them. I never told my boss until I gave my usual months notice and resigned. They could make your life hell in the meantime and i have heard of instances of that happening, come up with some excuse to make you redundant before you go (in which case a redundancy package would come in helpful). Would you tell them you are looking for another job? Probably not.

A valid point , although I get on well with my managers , their attitude could change very quickly .

I told mine when I had had my visa approved, I plan on giving them about 4 month notice rather than the 1 that I have to give to allow a full handover to take place after advertising time and interview time etc, but that's because I love where I work and I don't want to leave them or my team in the lurch.

I love where I work too. I work in ITU and work with an amazing team. I have never actually told my manager but I have made no secrets of our plans with everyone else and my manager is well aware of what I am up to by hearing through the grapevine. The thing is until I actually had that visa, I wasn't going to Oz, anything could have happened. Happily we got our visa on monday, and I handed my notice in today eeeeek!! Now crazy times to get the house ready to rent and we are off end of next month!

I love where I work too. I work in ITU and work with an amazing team. I have never actually told my manager but I have made no secrets of our plans with everyone else and my manager is well aware of what I am up to by hearing through the grapevine. The thing is until I actually had that visa, I wasn't going to Oz, anything could have happened. Happily we got our visa on monday, and I handed my notice in today eeeeek!! Now crazy times to get the house ready to rent and we are off end of next month!

Awesome....very exciting times for you!!

I told mine when I had had my visa approved, I plan on giving them about 4 month notice rather than the 1 that I have to give to allow a full handover to take place after advertising time and interview time etc, but that's because I love where I work and I don't want to leave them or my team in the lurch.

Leah When did you tell them, and when are you going?

I applied for a job to move on somewhere else a few years back (in the UK), I let it slip by pure accident and the mood changed dramatically. It was like "how dare you want to leave". It was such a hostile atmosphere until I left. I should have known how bad it would be because of the way that they spoke about other employees, some of which had left years before.

Now that's out of the way, when I left another company before the one above, they threw a leaving party for me, had a whip around and got me a fantastic parting gift and told me that if there was ever a time I felt like going back then they would move heaven and earth to fit me in somewhere. Additionally, I am still in touch with so many of the people there and still count them as very good friends.

Its apples and oranges, and really depends on how you rate your relationship with your company/boss.

I applied for a job to move on somewhere else a few years back (in the UK), I let it slip by pure accident and the mood changed dramatically. It was like "how dare you want to leave". It was such a hostile atmosphere until I left. I should have known how bad it would be because of the way that they spoke about other employees, some of which had left years before.

Now that's out of the way, when I left another company before the one above, they threw a leaving party for me, had a whip around and got me a fantastic parting gift and told me that if there was ever a time I felt like going back then they would move heaven and earth to fit me in somewhere. Additionally, I am still in touch with so many of the people there and still count them as very good friends.

Its apples and oranges, and really depends on how you rate your relationship with your company/boss.

Yep, i agree...I'm just gonna bite the bullet and inform them...I'm smack bang in the middle of a massive project at the Mo...which is going to run for at least another 6 months.

I officially told my employer when I requested the references for the process - I informed them of the visa grant and an estimate of when I would be leaving (it was 6 months). Only a few people at my hubby's work knew he was leaving - redundancy then came up his boss was really good and didn't tell anyone he was leaving anyway and allowed him to put in for voluntary redundancy, which was granted but he then had 2 months paid gardening leave.

I told my manager as I needed a reference in December. Since then I feel like I have had no training or opportunities to develop myself. My rota has been terrible (getting worse by the week) and I just feel like I am being treated as an agency member of staff. It's got so bad I have had to raise it with my manager today.

There is no right or wrong answer - it depends on the situation, the industry and the managers.

Inm my own case, working for the Scottish Government, I was open with everyone that I wanted to move. I then gave provisional notice when Iw as given a job offer in Australia and said the leaving date would depend on a visa coming through. I am glad I did this, as the visa had a hitch and when it did come through, my employer was happy to let me leave with only three weeks' notice of the actual leaving date rather than the contractual obligation of four weeks. They were also sympathetic to the stress I was going through in trying to manage a long distance relationship, having visa plans unravelling and taking time off to get things sorted out. But I can see that others might have different experiences.

With hindsight, I would love to have been given voluntary redundancy but once you have shown your hand, you can't unshow it.

Ooh, this is a tricky one.

I plan to leave work in 7 weeks. I have told a few close colleagues, but not my direct manager. My issue is that she is going on maternity leave in 3 months, and keeps making comments about tasks I will have to do when she is not here. (And I am sitting there nodding thinking, i'll be long gone by then!)

I plan to give her a 'heads up' next week. Have a chat along the lines of; 'my circumstances have changed and I need to return home there fore you can expect me to hand in my 1 months notice at the beginning of July'. Just leave it at that. I think she would be disappointed if she knew I had been planning this for months, but at the same time I don't want to be penalized for wanting to leave at such an awkward time for the company.

I obviously had to tell my employer when I needed references etc for vetasses. But my colleagues and team know I plan to fly out in May 2016, even though I have just been promoted I am still committed to my work and my boss is fully aware that I plan to leave (he just doesn't know when) so I plan on telling them when I go back to work after Xmas so that they have five months notice rather than 1. They won't make me redundant as my role is new and someone still needs to do it so gardening leave is also not an option. My thought is that I don't want to leave them in the lurch like I would ordinarily if I just had a new job and therefore you don't have that kind of time to give, but in this case I know exactly when I will be leaving.

good luck, I think you will know your employer well enough to make the decision that is right for you.

As a teacher in the uk i had to hand in my notice by 31st may to leave as of 31st August. 1 half term.

I was upfront and told them i was leaving on 31st august in feb of the same year.

The school was then able to hire an NQT early and get a good one before the best were snapped up.

As my letter gave notice for a set leaving date, there wasnt much they could do to make my life difficult, i already had a timetable, classes and conditions set out.

No problems, and a good leaving do thrown in.