Citizens of decent

Aussiegirl

Our situation was pretty easy. My wife is Assie and I am British so our son now has two passports based on both of our nationalities. I'm not sure how my wife did it but she called the Embassy in London, send some original documents away and he got his Aussie citizenship in a matter of days. We had to get an Aussie friend in the UK to act as a reference too.

Be careful though. After your child is an Aussie citizen, they need an Australian passport to enter the country. That requires a visit to the Embassy in London.

Thanks CameronsDad , I was hopefully trying to miss that bit of an interview, London is abit of a way for us, did she have to fill in the form 118, iam an Aussie by birth, so kids going back on me, once I have the certificate I can apply for the passports, just one less headache get them all done, going to a costly do as 3 to do lol

It shouldn't matter thou Bound4tassie, when they go in I don't think ? I have just put my forms into the agents today done by weekend and in system so next week will be all summited ,and count down begins, was it easier to do online or send in the paperwork ?

It shouldn't matter thou Bound4tassie, when they go in I don't think ? I have just put my forms into the agents today done by weekend and in system so next week will be all summited ,and count down begins, was it easier to do online or send in the paperwork ?

I couldn't do it online as the youngest doesn't have a passport. It was easy enough to send in paperwork. We didn't know any Aussies in UK to sign the form but it gives an alternative. Ie uk citizen from same list of professions.

I have to apologise for being a bit of a bloke :cool: I asked my wife and I made some generalisations. It was in fact 4 weeks until we got his citizenship and we didn't need our Aussie mate to co sign that one. She doesn't know what form it was but we got our police friend to co sign. It was the Passport pictures that we had to get our Aussie friend to sign.

in my defence, we sent the form in and then went to Sydney for December so it seemed like a few days :laugh:

I have to apologise for being a bit of a bloke :cool: I asked my wife and I made some generalisations. It was in fact 4 weeks until we got his citizenship and we didn't need our Aussie mate to co sign that one. She doesn't know what form it was but we got our police friend to co sign. It was the Passport pictures that we had to get our Aussie friend to sign.

in my defence, we sent the form in and then went to Sydney for December so it seemed like a few days :laugh:

Lol! Nevermind CamsDad! Good job you've got a good woman to organise you eh?!

I wish I hadn't bothered. Now I have two passports every five years. I'd leave it for as long as you can.

If the kids are Aussies they need Aussie passports to move here.

You could always let the UK passport lapse - if all you intend to do is make brief visits to the UK you can do that with just an Aussie passport. Why are they only 5 year ones though? Both ine are 10!

Thanks CameronsDad , I was hopefully trying to miss that bit of an interview, London is abit of a way for us, did she have to fill in the form 118, iam an Aussie by birth, so kids going back on me, once I have the certificate I can apply for the passports, just one less headache get them all done, going to a costly do as 3 to do lol

When we went to London to get our sons passport, we sat in front of a booth, handed over our documents, he smiled then photocopied or papers, then handed them back and said or sons passport would be in the recorded mail within 3 weeks. A long train ride with a 10month old for 10mins in Australia House! But we made the day of it by visiting the sights as I had never been before! Xx

Hi,

We are doing exactly the same thing! My hubby is Aussie by birth. I filled in the 118 online. It took 3 weeks and the children got their citizenship on the 29th April. They do need Australian passports to go into Australia. All under 18 passports and any long term lapsed adult passports have to be lodged in person at Australia house in London. However the children do not need to attend just one of the parents they ring the other parent and both parents need to sign a form in front of a witness to state they know about the application. The interview is 10 mins over a counter but compulsory. We did spend a fortune as can't rely on transport booked train then heard train strike so booked coach as well. Had to stay overnight so booked a family room at premier inn another £150 but worth it in the long run when compared to price of visa's and medicals! Make sure both adults passports are in date as you will need both to lodge your visa application.

yes he does.

I'll get my eyesight checked then cos the post i read said "i wish i hadn't bothered. Now I have two passports every five years. I'd leave it for as long as you can.' i must have missed the word kids in there somewhere.

Fact remains he can let the uk ones lapse if they are only visiting the uk on holidays in future.

Nemesis, seeing as that is the only scenario where passports are issued for 5 years, I think it is a reasonable assumption. Don't you ?

I suppose the other possibility is he means his passports expire on alternate 5 years, eg British ones in 5 years time, Australian ones in 10 years time.

If the kids are Aussies they need Aussie passports to move here.

You could always let the UK passport lapse - if all you intend to do is make brief visits to the UK you can do that with just an Aussie passport. Why are they only 5 year ones though? Both ine are 10!

Yes, but if they don't claim citizenship, they don't need an Aussie passport. Two of mine I claimed, and I have all the joy of getting special photos done and doing a trip up to Australia house every five years for no apparent reason.

The third child I didn't claim, and he just gets an evisa. I'll claim his when he's 17.

Nemesis, seeing as that is the only scenario where passports are issued for 5 years, I think it is a reasonable assumption. Don't you ?

I suppose the other possibility is he means his passports expire on alternate 5 years, eg British ones in 5 years time, Australian ones in 10 years time.

Sorry, yes I was talking about my kids. Sorry, as the OP was asking about his kids, I didn't specify.

Archived