Seriously, I am so pissed at Ausi, given a good chance, what to do?

kiwiathome

Nice post grizzly, where are you now? You sound young, your dreams are still available. And yes I agree with you. (just my opinion). Universities are better than England. And yes it is proven in the statistics and tables etc.

I am currently dealing with my daughter only 14, (15 in August) hassling me to get a part time job and miss one day a week at school, like some of her friends do! Are you crazy!! And she goes to a private school that we

pay ^%$! money for! Now in my day, we never missed college for part time day jobs! But in Australia, this seems to be acceptable! And yes, as I have said, she is super bright! And has never strayed off track!

Do year 10's at private schools in England miss a day of school for some part time job??? Have times changed that much that this is now what a lot of year 10's and 11's want to do?

Well here is my answer. No! She is not getting a part time job. She is staying at school 5 days a week! And at 14 she will still do as she is told.

Bound4Tassie I sense a bit of agro going on. Do you honestly think Australia will be fairer or better? And no I am not discouraging you or saying you are doing the wrong thing. Just a friendly enquiry.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a few people who went to Oxbridge - all clever folk who got there by their own abilities - and good for them. All doing pretty ordinary jobs now though. In fact my old best mate was on a corridor with Prince Edward (we're going back a bit). She was a genius - it's a fair bet that he probably didn't quite match up intellectually but an exception was made.... The people who I know with senior jobs/making huge amounts/living it large and earning heaps of cash are those that went to run of the mill universities or didn't go to uni but who just worked really really hard and were hugely driven. If you really care about the status of your uni then America is the way to go - but I wouldn't want to work for anyone who recruited on the basis of where you were educated (although I'm sure the top management consultancies care). On the whole it's an indication of how much cash mummy and daddy have, which posh school they could afford and not your ability. Statistics on admission from private/public schools are just shocking. I'd vote for a system like Denmark's where people are admitted on brains and not connections.. The UK is bound to be governed by complete plonkers with a great education and no commonsense until this changes.

Oops spelling error. Meant to say, Universities (in my opinion before jumped on - each to their own) are better in England.

And the funny thing about this is, we are not even considering Cambridge or Oxford. More like Manchester for what she wants to do. At the end of the day, whether you go to Uni or not, it's your determination and belief that will eventually get you there. I want my children to go to university, and I will do anything to get them there. It is important to me, because I wanted to go to university but we did not have the money. Parents messy divorce.

I went to Polytech instead and worked two part time jobs. Not complaining, just if my girls want to go to uni, I want them to go to uni, they'll go to uni!

And to continue I did not go to uni. But I have continued to study constantly as a more "mature" person, and am actually really happy with where I have got. I am going to go back to England and get my dream job in health.

So it is a grey area, not black and white. Not right or wrong.

Nice post grizzly, where are you now? You sound young, your dreams are still available. And yes I agree with you. (just my opinion). Universities are better than England. And yes it is proven in the statistics and tables etc.

I am currently dealing with my daughter only 14, (15 in August) hassling me to get a part time job and miss one day a week at school, like some of her friends do! Are you crazy!! And she goes to a private school that we

pay ^%$! money for! Now in my day, we never missed college for part time day jobs! But in Australia, this seems to be acceptable! And yes, as I have said, she is super bright! And has never strayed off track!

Do year 10's at private schools in England miss a day of school for some part time job??? Have times changed that much that this is now what a lot of year 10's and 11's want to do?

Well here is my answer. No! She is not getting a part time job. She is staying at school 5 days a week! And at 14 she will still do as she is told.

Bound4Tassie I sense a bit of agro going on. Do you honestly think Australia will be fairer or better? And no I am not discouraging you or saying you are doing the wrong thing. Just a friendly enquiry.

I think this may be more reflective of the cohort and school rather than it being a tendency in private schools per-se. I don't know any of my friends children (or my own), who skip school to work in either the public or private sector. The kids I know, tend to get after school or weekend jobs - my son e.g. has become a qualified referee for junior soccer at weekends (he's 15).

Cheers Ali again. I agree. I invite battles if constructive, and justified. In NZ same. After school or weekend part time jobs. Fantastic your son referee for sport (healthy mind healthy body at 15) but as you say weekend.

I am quite confused. Good private school in Queensland, that we pay good money for, and we are there about the learning, and they happily let kids attend 4 days a week to attend a part time job??

Maybe I am so behind the times. But we are not happy about this. Do others let their kid go four days a week to a private school and work one day a week???? Does this happen at paid private schools in England??

Not at a private school but my son works one week day and attends school on just four days. You cannot do this for 'any job' it has to be an apprenticeship , hence its name School based apprenticeship scheme. He started this in Yr 10 and is now in YR 12 and it has worked well for him, the idea behind it is it turns into a full time job once he leaves school but he will get his certificate before someone who only starts an apprenticeship on leaving YR 12. He was also given payments to purchase tools and has had to attend the 'classroom' side of the apprenticeship in some of the school holidays.

Cal x

Appreciate that. Unfortunately not the same. But I am so pleased for your son. And so good on you for being their for him. It is just hard because if we choose to have children, then we should always strive to do the best for them.

For the first time in our family we are becoming divided. We are now considering that youngest and I go back to England end of next year, where she will start English high school on par with others. But eldest insists on finishinyear 12 in Australia. Even though she hassles me for "part time job" and "correspondence". Hubby just always best for career. He oblivious, but we love him anyway.

In logical theory, we go back end next year cause affects youngest daughter more than any of us. ?? It is hard being mom, and trying to please everyone huh!

one of the best things about oz is people can get ahead because they are good at what they do & not because of where they went to school.

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous, you can't seriously think a degree from a top uni isn't valued in Australia ? There is just as much elitism in Australia as there is here. People anywhere in the world can get ahead if they are good at what they do, look at a large proportion of the sell made millionaires and they often have nothing more than a state education. Sorry but Australia isn't special in that respect.

And to continue I did not go to uni. But I have continued to study constantly as a more "mature" person, and am actually really happy with where I have got. I am going to go back to England and get my dream job in health.

So it is a grey area, not black and white. Not right or wrong.

A job in health? I wish you all the best but with the Bullingdon Boys hell bent on wrecking the NHS, I fear this may be no dream job! Unless you're in private healthcare maybe.

No agro from me....certainly not in your direction....maybe at ' the system' here where who your daddy is and what he earns is a more important factor in you having a high flying future. Not to say you can't succeed going to a 'normal' uni ( or no uni!) but doors definitely open with an Oxbridge degree irrespective of talent.

A job in health? I wish you all the best but with the Bullingdon Boys hell bent on wrecking the NHS, I fear this may be no dream job! Unless you're in private healthcare maybe.

No agro from me....certainly not in your direction....maybe at ' the system' here where who your daddy is and what he earns is a more important factor in you having a high flying future. Not to say you can't succeed going to a 'normal' uni ( or no uni!) but door definitely open with an Oxbridge degree irrespective of talent.

The Conservatives have created more nursing and doctors jobs than Labour, they have also privatised LESS than Labour. This idea that they are looking to privatise and wreck the NHS is just Labour nonsense.

What does your daughter want to do at uni? You mentioned something about digital media? Most of those type of courses are based at the post 92 universities (ex polys). Some run excellent courses and those courses may work in your favour re timing for domestic fees. She could do her two years of A levels here, then go to a college to do an art foundation year (these are run for people with varied 'art' interests - product design, photography, textiles etc as well as the more traditional art subjects). They are free if under 19 and then she'd qualify under the three year rule for domestic fees.

Really Bristolmen and where is your experience from living in Australia. No there is not much as elitism as in Australia as in England, I am not sure in Australia they would even no what that means.

Cheers caramac with regard to qualifications; yes what you describe is close. I prob don't really understand. Digital, media, computer software, engineering etc. ??

I have no idea what Bullingdon boys is?? but why are you bound for Tasmania??? I would love to visit Tasmania, looks more like England or NZ to me, but I see a lot on this forum no jobs and not easy. ??

I lived in Australia for 30 years and saw all sides of life there. My comment was aimed at the belief that miraculously you could get on in Australia regardless of where you went to school, not that it is incorrect but it equally applies to anywhere. It was nothing you said Kiwi, I largely agree with what you are saying.

Bullingdon Boys is a Labour name for the Conservatives, the party that has dragged us out of the mess left by the previous Government lol.

Really Bristolmen and where is your experience from living in Australia. No there is not much as elitism as in Australia as in England, I am not sure in Australia they would even no what that means.

Cheers caramac with regard to qualifications; yes what you describe is close. I prob don't really understand. Digital, media, computer software, engineering etc. ??

I have no idea what Bullingdon boys is?? but why are you bound for Tasmania??? I would love to visit Tasmania, looks more like England or NZ to me, but I see a lot on this forum no jobs and not easy. ??

Cheers bristolman, one thing I have learnt, take advice when it is warranted. You are in UK currently??? I prob don't have enough brains or parliament know in's and outs' to really speak up, but

god it has been hard to live in Australia for the last 8 years as a "non citizen". My hubby and I do agree on, I became a citizen of England relatively easily, and they gave us more support than

Australia ever has done.

Going off track again, but, Australia gives us nothing, but takes out of hubby's pay packet every time another natural disaster. There is so many of them. Again, each to their own. I can get while some people

love it here. And fair enough. It is not for me to judge. But for me, hardest country to live in, work hard, no reward, I have ever lived in.

Oh and too add, I have been through though natural disaster with my kids. Floods in Ipswich, caught up in my car, Cyclone came down to Sunshine Coast, had 5 tornados whipping around me and my girls.

(hubby away). We gave substantially out of pay pocket towards recovery, but if those tornados had of hit our house, (5 mins away) we get nothing. I am sorry, but I just don't agree with or understand or like

Australia. Not being difficult; have lived England, Florence, Dublin, Glasgow, obviously NZ, St Andrews Scotland, French Alps. Not mouthing off, just logical comparison. Australia hard.

Cheers bristolman, one thing I have learnt, take advice when it is warranted. You are in UK currently??? I prob don't have enough brains or parliament know in's and outs' to really speak up, but

god it has been hard to live in Australia for the last 8 years as a "non citizen". My hubby and I do agree on, I became a citizen of England relatively easily, and they gave us more support than

Australia ever has done.

Going off track again, but, Australia gives us nothing, but takes out of hubby's pay packet every time another natural disaster. There is so many of them. Again, each to their own. I can get while some people

love it here. And fair enough. It is not for me to judge. But for me, hardest country to live in, work hard, no reward, I have ever lived in.

Oh and too add, I have been through though natural disaster with my kids. Floods in Ipswich, caught up in my car, Cyclone came down to Sunshine Coast, had 5 tornados whipping around me and my girls.

(hubby away). We gave substantially out of pay pocket towards recovery, but if those tornados had of hit our house, (5 mins away) we get nothing. I am sorry, but I just don't agree with or understand or like

Australia. Not being difficult; have lived England, Florence, Dublin, Glasgow, obviously NZ, St Andrews Scotland, French Alps. Not mouthing off, just logical comparison. Australia hard.

Yes we are back in the UK, we all love it here so it has worked out well for us. Having said that we loved it in Australia but just not enough. It was too bloody expensive quite frankly lol. Let's face it if there was somewhere that suited everybody it would be a horribly crowded place to live lol

Well we both agree on something. Australia is too damn expensive for what offers. You sound wise and sorted. So good to hear you happy back in UK. I don't think there is any ideal place to live, but we are ostriches if we put head in sand and don't seek out to move to best we can get. I am just tired and confused. Nice to hear positive outcomes.

Cheers, have nice evening.

Google the Bullingdon Club! Good old respectable pillar of the community Dave Cam was a member as were several of his cabinet/ tory party chums. The stench of nepotism and elitism must be unbearable in cabinet meetings!

We're going to Tassie as my husband is from there and we like it. Yes the scenery / climate are more similar to UK and NZ. I like that! It's probably an easier place for a pom to acclimatise to. Yes there can be problems in employment at the moment but it depends what you do. There's no guarantee of course but I'm positively hopeful that we will secure work. Both of our jobs are paid significantly better in Tas even taking into account a higher cost of living.

I don't dislike life in the UK ( bar the tory government!!) but my husband hates it here so we're giving Tassie a try.

Eta - can't stand Abbott either by the way!

Its hard isn't it? Because compared to Tony Abbott I think Dave Cam looks damn good!! The only member I have ever connected to in my time here, is Anna Bligh.

that's because I went through the floods with her. And she cried, she got human, and she got tired. Then she got cancer. But she also got a hard time from lots of people. Go figure!

Tasmania is the only place I want to visit before I leave. I wish you all the best there and I think you have chosen the best place to go out of all of Australia.

Its hard isn't it? Because compared to Tony Abbott I think Dave Cam looks damn good!! The only member I have ever connected to in my time here, is Anna Bligh.

that's because I went through the floods with her. And she cried, she got human, and she got tired. Then she got cancer. But she also got a hard time from lots of people. Go figure!

Tasmania is the only place I want to visit before I leave. I wish you all the best there and I think you have chosen the best place to go out of all of Australia.

Oh god yes give me Cameron over Abbott any day of the week. The reason Abbott got in was because people couldn't stomach the thought of Labour getting back in.

Archived