Your FAILURE to settle in Oz

Perthbum

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manchester is such a cool city - I loved it there during the early nineties when it was at the height of its music scene.

I have to agree with JockinTas - although we've had sunshine, it certainly hasn't been shorts weather up here! I agree too about not being bothered about the weather and if we did ever move back to Australia, Tasmania would be top of my list. I fell madly in love with it on a two week visit a couple of years back. Would be a lovely place (for us) to retire if our kids decide to live in Aus.

Funnily enough I've thought exactly the same! The only place in Australia with world class mountain biking, although perhaps I won't be too worried about that by the time I retire :)

This has reminded me of LIDL packing in the UK - it was like an extreme sport - those checkout operators must have been under some severe KPI's - I even saw a bloke ticked off for not packing his shopping fast enough!

ooh and I was in the veg shop in Brissie and someone mentioned to the checkout operator that you have to pack your own stuff in the UK and that operators get a seat and she looked all wistful and said 'I wanna be a checkout chick in the UK'

I did the same thing the first time I went to Tesco Jock. Just stood there like a plum and then suddenly clicked and had to pack at the speed of light LOL. I have been offered help with my packing lots of times since - I'm not sure if that's because I usually have two small kids with me or because they think I'm incapable...

nothing worse than"faux" friendliness, at least brits are honest and tell you what it is unlike being nice to your face and going to the boss behind your back as ​ found out with a few aussies

Ain't that the truth. Not saying it doesn't happen in the UK but the rate it happens in Oz is something else....

Perthbum where do you live cos I want to move there!! May has seen below average temps so where are you getting the idea we've had record breaking warm and sunny May?? Warmest and sunniest May on record??? Where and when?? Every year we're "set for a heatwave" according to the press. Does it happen? Rarely...apart from where you live obviously.

PWhere do you live cos I want to move there!! May has seen below average temps so where are you getting the idea we've had record breaking warm and sunny May?? Warmest and sunniest May on record??? Where and when?? Every year we're "set for a heatwave" according to the press. Does it happen? Rarely...apart from where you live obviously.

the last 3 years have seen long warm summers, even you cannot deny that,

sassy, we have had a lot of dry weather in the last few years. People have to remember its the uk which has a temperate climate, if we lived a bit more north we would be like the scandinavian countries bbbrrrrrrrr, although apaprantly they are te happiest people in the world.

Well I e been here since May the 6th the day I arrived was pissing it down lol even my son said he's disappointed because the weather was fab in April and I know they were from his fb pics it hasn't rained though all the time it's been cold though I've had the heating on and a little jacket not cold winter cold but cold to me and they have actually said on this morning what has happened to flaming June but been lovely today and give out on news tonight bbq weather , so may hasn't been fantastic in the midlands I'm neither a northerner or a southerner lol , let's hope the next two weeks are lovely and let's hope it continues for them but they have had good summers since I left better than before I left we had 3 crap summers on the trot lol anyway it still doesn't stop ya getting out and Europe on doorstep when u fancy the sun who can sit in it everyday anyway I clean my ass off normally in the humidity come in have me tea and it's dark and quiet in the burbs , weekends I get out though when my hubbie was there lol :):) so may to me has been chilly to me and on off rain and sun and yesterday and Monday peed it down today gawjuss :)

sassy, we have had a lot of dry weather in the last few years. People have to remember its the uk which has a temperate climate, if we lived a bit more north we would be like the scandinavian countries bbbrrrrrrrr, although apaprantly they are te happiest people in the world.

Why are people so obsessed with the weather? :laugh: I've always been an outdoorsy kinda person and a bit of weather never bothered me. The last few days here have been cold, frosty and sunny today is milder and showers are forecast - that kind of weather doesn't stop me getting out. I lived in Toronto during a winter - bloody freezing - didn't stop me getting out either - also lived in Switzerland for a year - plenty to do there in the cold weather. There is nowhere with a perfect climate, though I think San Diego in California comes pretty close - Oh and where you live in England sounds pretty near perfect the way you go on about it PB :wink:

When I was in Scotland it was light at 4:30 am and getting dark just after 10:00 pm ............... bit of a difference coming back to Tasmania at the onset of winter :cute:

yea same here 10pm lol day lasts longer haha , love it , Toronto my hubby did some work there he's been on the maid of mist said its out of this world I want to go there for my 25 th wedding anniversary next year and I want go Las Vegas x

You'll love Vegas Shelly! First time I visited the place was when I was working in California many years ago. Each time we visit friends there now, we try to get to Vegas. Great shopping too - always stock up on clothes when I'm there. There are some fantastic clothing outlets.

You'll love Vegas Shelly! First time I visited the place was when I was working in California many years ago. Each time we visit friends there now, we try to get to Vegas. Great shopping too - always stock up on clothes when I'm there. There are some fantastic clothing outlets.[/quote

haha great this lady went I knew and she loved Vegas too I deffo got that on my list and I want go Toronto I want go on a cruise aswel around newzealand but my hubby's not keen on cruises but I like cabaret and things like that lol :) and I like the entertainment on cruises Lol :) but Vegas yes wanted go for years and never have but I will go :)

I tried Perth.... Came on the dreaded 457 with a family of 7...(don't shoot me)!!! And was fed a pack of lies by my employer about future work after finishing the big job that I was headhunted for!!!

i supervised the slate roof on The Old Treasury Building in the CBD. Stayed for 9 months......completed the contract, Didn't like Perth at all, just not for us..I was on a very good salary, but the cost of living for a family of 7 meant we weren't exactly rolling in it.... Make the same wage at home in Wales now, and on probably a third of the living cost!!..The pull of family and friends was too great, the thought of my mum in law at home on her own with no grandchildren was a weight on my mind..., and the peaceful Isle of Anglesey.... Why did I ever think Perth would be a better place is beyond me!! Glad I tried it, no regrets really (apart from the stitch up by employer which left us on the brink of losing our home!!) but life is good now, it's taken 18 months to get back on track.....made some wonderfull friends that we're still in touch with, some great memories too..... And consumed far too much beer!!

if I could give one piece of advice to anyone out there is to follow you're heart.... That will lead to happiness..... Be it in oz or in the UK. And don't for one minute think you're a failure for returning home, most of those who would call anyone that have probably failed in the UK, and are probably still failing in oz, but would never admit it.

I tried Perth.... Came on the dreaded 457 with a family of 7...(don't shoot me)!!! And was fed a pack of lies by my employer about future work after finishing the big job that I was headhunted for!!!

i supervised the slate roof on The Old Treasury Building in the CBD. Stayed for 9 months......completed the contract, Didn't like Perth at all, just not for us..I was on a very good salary, but the cost of living for a family of 7 meant we weren't exactly rolling in it.... Make the same wage at home in Wales now, and on probably a third of the living cost!!..The pull of family and friends was too great, the thought of my mum in law at home on her own with no grandchildren was a weight on my mind..., and the peaceful Isle of Anglesey.... Why did I ever think Perth would be a better place is beyond me!! Glad I tried it, no regrets really (apart from the stitch up by employer which left us on the brink of losing our home!!) but life is good now, it's taken 18 months to get back on track.....made some wonderfull friends that we're still in touch with, some great memories too..... And consumed far too much beer!!

if I could give one piece of advice to anyone out there is to follow you're heart.... That will lead to happiness..... Be it in oz or in the UK. And don't for one minute think you're a failure for returning home, most of those who would call anyone that have probably failed in the UK, and are probably still failing in oz, but would never admit it.

Good honest post. One thing you gained was your new appreciation of the UK. Most who return see the UK in a new light and appreciate what they took for granted.

I may add, upon realising the employers bullsh1t..... I contacted a company in Adelaide, they knew who I was without me telling them....(news travels fast in Australia!!! Haha)

i was instantly offered to switch the 457 to them, a lucrative salary, and all the help needed to move over... I kindly declined, and I know I made the right decision in coming home.

Good honest post. One thing you gained was your new appreciation of the UK. Most who return see the UK in a new light and appreciate what they took for granted.

That is certainly true Perthbum, I value everything about this place so much more.... Even the rain!!!! Not many have tried slating in 45 degree heat!!!

Great post and very honest

Australia aint for everbody you know

I get a lot of replies stating "it was your FAILURE to settle in Australia...Is it really a failure if you try it but prefer somewhere else?

They say that the men who are most homophobic are often over-reacting, because they're afraid of their own gay tendencies.

I think the same often applies in many other situations, including these forums. There are people who are genuinely happy in Australia - and there are people who've only managed to convince themselves they're happy by resolutely closing their minds to all the things they don't like. So they can't cope when others point those things out, because it threatens to burst the bubble that enables them to survive. They're the ones who get inexplicably vicious when you dare voice a criticism.

Archived