Advise - feeling lost?

francy

Well we've now been in Oz for 2 months!

started to feel abit lost with a few things

we are a family of 4 (kids are 9 & 7) and we're on a 4 yr visa but after 2yrs can apply for residenc, which is the plan.

1. Do we get private healthcare or not? if so, how much roughly do they cost?

2. We have pensions in the uk. Do we get a super now, or wait to see if we get residency?

3. In Oz, you do your own tax return - when us this done, how & who notifies you?

4. We're on a subclass 489 visa - can we apply for a mortgage (wouldn't be till next year as renting till April'16)?

any other advice, or info that I may not of thought of would be much appreciated.

thanks

francy

Well we've now been in Oz for 2 months!

started to feel abit lost with a few things

we are a family of 4 (kids are 9 & 7) and we're on a 4 yr visa but after 2yrs can apply for residenc, which is the plan.

1. Do we get private healthcare or not? if so, how much roughly do they cost?

2. We have pensions in the uk. Do we get a super now, or wait to see if we get residency?

3. In Oz, you do your own tax return - when us this done, how & who notifies you?

4. We're on a subclass 489 visa - can we apply for a mortgage (wouldn't be till next year as renting till April'16)?

any other advice, or info that I may not of thought of would be much appreciated.

thanks

francy

1. Depends on your visa and needs. At the least I'd get a basic package with ambulance. They're not free like the UK.

2. Get super if you can, I thought you had to actually.

3. July I think, but it will be obvious. It's like missing Xmas.

4. Talk to your bank.

First, you may be able to apply for residence now and if possible I would recomend it.

1. Depends to some extent on which state you are in. If in WA, you at least need ambulance and in any state I would recomend dental. Above that depends on the person including how much you earn - there are penalties for high earners if they do not have it.

2. You should be paying super automatically. Your employer should provide you with details of your super fund.

3. The oz tax year starts on 1st July and most people have to do a tax return. You can either do it yourself - look at the ATO website, or use an accountant. An accountant will often get a better rebate and will charge about $200-300 but, this is tax deductible (you can claim it back next year).

4. Yes, though it is up to the bank.

1. Depends on your visa and needs. At the least I'd get a basic package with ambulance. They're not free like the UK.

2. Get super if you can, I thought you had to actually.

3. July I think, but it will be obvious. It's like missing Xmas.

4. Talk to your bank.

1. QLD gets free ambulance cover, but yeah WA need to pay

2. Super will be paid no matter your visa if you earn something like $450 a week. so yes will be paid

3. You have until around end of October I think off top of my head. Many people who can do it for you or do it yourself.

4.No idea

1. QLD gets free ambulance cover, but yeah WA need to pay

2. Super will be paid no matter your visa if you earn something like $450 a week. so yes will be paid

3. You have until around end of October I think off top of my head. Many people who can do it for you or do it yourself.

4.No idea

I have my Super paid and only earn that in a month,lol as part time casual.

Cal x

About #4, I asked my agent about this when a temp visa was on the cards for me, and he said that you need permission from the foreign investment bureau to apply for a mertgage. I think this would be the case for you as well.

1. Private healthcare is quite complex - there are so many variables.

This website has a selection tool which can help give you an idea of the options most suitable for your situation.

http://www.canstar.com.au/health-insurance/

3. I would recommend employing a tax agent to prepare your first tax return. That way you ensure that all your entitlements are claimed.

Then, having seen what it looks like, you can decide in subsequent years whether to do it yourself or continue employing an agent.

They will start advertising towards the end of the financial year (30th June)...you won't be able to miss it :rolleyes:...or work colleagues may recommend someone.

Archived