Bikes

No need to get cleaned, we shipped two(twice) Do it yourself, hot soapy water is all you need, I did give the tyres a scrub with the nailbrush and make sure you get all the underneath bits like the mud guards etc.

Yes as above but please don't use a power washer, it will strip out too much lube and can get into the bearings. Wash well and use fresh lube after, you don't want it to seize up in transit.

make sure tyres are very clean, it is mud and organic trace they are worried about.

Thanks for all your advice guys, very greatful. We move over to Perth in September, I cant come quick enough. I start my job in October so need to be there at least 4 weeks prior. Just saving up now so we have enough cash to see us through till I get my 1st wage.

Julie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What happens if you have an old retro Raleigh Chopper that has rust on it, will they look at it in more in depth?

We purchased a cleaning product from tool station or screw fix that you paint on the rust then wire wool it off! It was only a fiver and our bikes look brand new!

Hi - possibly a slightly off topic, but we flew in on Saturday with tons of luggage (200kg plus carry on luggage) - and didn't even get searched for anything. We could have brought anything in... so maybe these environmental restrictions are slightly exaggerated.

I'd thrown out several pairs of shoes and got new ones, but I needn't have bothered!

and didn't even get searched for anything. We could have brought anything in... so maybe these environmental restrictions are slightly exaggerated.

And that is exactly the same gamble that drug smugglers take.

Some incoming passengers fit the "profile" for a search. Some don't.

Hi - possibly a slightly off topic, but we flew in on Saturday with tons of luggage (200kg plus carry on luggage) - and didn't even get searched for anything. We could have brought anything in... so maybe these environmental restrictions are slightly exaggerated.

I'd thrown out several pairs of shoes and got new ones, but I needn't have bothered!

They're not exaggerated, you just got lucky!

• 2 months later...

we took 4 bikes and no problems, they checked all 4 also (could tell by the tape used to re-seal them) and we simply cleaned with a scrubbing brush and Milton liquid....they also checked all our shoes in the container but we walked through Sydney airport with dirty shoes from Singapore....!!!

The post is about items shipped by container where customers are almost guaranteed to inspect to justify a charge. Shoes, sports gear, bikes, gardening stuff and Christmas decorations all get targeted for organic matter.

Passing through by foot is a simple matter, we have been waved through even when declaring organic matter and food stuff.

S

BTW 200k's luggage has to be a near record, we were amazed we got 85k's for 2 of us!

Regarding tapes, removals co's are meant to use brown tape, customs use clear meaning you can see what items have been inspected.

I shipped a bike in, was red flagged by customs and I had to pay extra costs for an inspection and 'handling fee' at the warehouse, was about AUD220 all in I think. Guy was reasonable enough and passed it as 'ok' .... a pretty expensive 2 minute inspection!!!

I self cleared the cargo, not sure if that makes a difference!

I didn't clean it too vigorously, just made sure it was clean!!

As others have said cleaning it yourself is fine - MAFF approved disinfectant is best, you can get it in pet shops.

One thing to watch for is that the bikes are not wheeled after they have been cleaned, someone on her got stung once when the shipping company wheeled them to the container and the super clean bikes picked up dirt on the way.

Archived