Cost of Australian clubs:

jac2011

Hi everyone,

I have been speaking to my children about which activities they would like to do in Australia and that led me to considering the costs involved for children.

Are there any families that would like to share with me the costs of their children's clubs...

At the moment we are considering Soccer, Netball, Surf life saving, Scouts, baseball, possibly a rowing club if we can find one... However, we are open to suggestion. The clubs they pursue at present are indoor rowing, chess, choir, art and we would like to get them into more outdoor sporty clubs.

We have an 11 year old girl, a 9 year old boy and a 4 year old boy so clubs for all age ranges would be fine.

My children are adults now so the only thing I can comment on is joining Nippers (Surf Life Saving for kids 5 to 13).

The registration fee for the first child in the family is around $100 - subsequent children are cheaper but I'm not sure by how much.

Clubs set their own registration dates but they are usually held during September and October. The kids will need to get a club cap, a club singlet/rash-shirt, and a pair of club swimmers.

The kids need to be able to pass basic water competency tests before they can join. These can vary between clubs but as a rule of thumb they are something like this:

Under 6’s and 7’s - not be afraid of the water

Under 8’s and 9's - Swim 25m (any stroke) and Survival Float for 1 minute

Under 10’s - Swim 25m (freestyle) and Survival Float for 1 to 2 minutes

Under 11’s - Swim 50m (freestyle) and Survival Float for 2 minutes

Under 12’s - Swim 100m (freestyle) and Survival Float for 2 minutes

Under 13’s and 14's - Swim 150m (freestyle) and Survival Float for 3 minutes

Age groups are determined by the age the child is between 1 Oct - 30 Sept.

We don't do any team sports currently but as the others have said there are registration fees as well as weekly fees for those.

My daughter does gymnastics and we pay around $18 an hour weekly, this doesn't run in the holidays.

My son goes to taekwondo and we pay $66 per fortnight but for this you can attend as many times a week as you like and they run classes 6 days a week. (we tend to go twice a week)

Swimming lessons for us are $166 per month and this is once a week for two children.(so works out around $19 each for a 30 minute lesson)

I have found sports/activities quite expensive here hence our kids do two things each and nothing else but ours were only 4 when we moved so we didn't have as much experience of uk costs to compare them too.

The school my youngest attends offers Dance, Choir and musical instrument / band as part of the curriculum so its free other than - paying for outfits if they attend Dance competitions (most its cost so far is $100 for the year) and if in the band your asked to rent or buy your own instrument (friend just bought a flute second hand for $120).

The high school offer Dance, Cheerleading, soccer as part of their curriculum so again free except for outfit costs for Cheer.

Some schools also offer swim clubs as part of their curriculum.

My son used to go to Scouts, it was around $12 a night (1 night a week) and you had to pay an annual fee of around $70 for insurance and registration with Scouts QLD.

The local PCYC do a Boxing club and youth group for all ages once a week on a Friday night, costs is $5 and includes a Sausage sizzle or burger.

My daughter does Gymnastics, she started at 3 years old and classes for that age group are $10 per week (1 lesson a week),older kids are around $17 per week (1 lesson) then if they get to competitive standard you need to mortgage your house! lol, my daughters fees are now $450 pr 10 week term, doing approx 12 hours training a week.

Cal x

Clubs are expensive.

We pay $600 a year for one boy to go to cubs. Plus, every camp and activity seems to be an additional cost.

Music lessons seem to be $50 per half hour - plus the cost of the instrument.

Basketball was $175 - not sure how long that was for - either a term or a year.

Auskick was about $80 for the season plus cost of the clothing (probably about the same again)

You need to be aware also that clubs have fundraisers, raffles, etc. that you are expected to chip in for. They also have an irritating habit of doing a superheores night, a halloween night, a crazy hair night, etc. which adds to the cost for a costume and time to source it.

Hi everyone,

I have been speaking to my children about which activities they would like to do in Australia and that led me to considering the costs involved for children.

Are there any families that would like to share with me the costs of their children's clubs...

At the moment we are considering Soccer, Netball, Surf life saving, Scouts, baseball, possibly a rowing club if we can find one... However, we are open to suggestion. The clubs they pursue at present are indoor rowing, chess, choir, art and we would like to get them into more outdoor sporty clubs.

We have an 11 year old girl, a 9 year old boy and a 4 year old boy so clubs for all age ranges would be fine.

We have 3 kids 11, 8 and 7 living in Sydney and this is what we spend:

(School does basic sport but if you want to your child to play properly, this is at your own expense outside of school hours.)

Tennis x 3 = $750 per term

Dancing (1 child) = $150 per term

Soccer (1 child) = $185 per season (includes kit but not pads and shoes)

Cricket (1 child) = $70 - $100 for 6 weeks -(Milo into cricket- includes shirt/bat/ball)

Drama (2 kids) = $320 per term

Art (2 kids) = $385 per term

Swimming lessons (3 kids) = $210 per month

Netball = (2 kids) = $320 per season - includes socks but not club dress. We also pay $30 extra towards an umpire for each girl's team

As you can see, activities do not come cheaply in Australia but we are prepared to sacrifice a bit to give our kids the opportunities to be involved in as many things as possible.

Hope this helps.

Edited by purpleal
child's age wrong!

Soccer clubs set their own fees. Last year we payed less than $300, a friend payed over $1,000 at a different club (by the end of the season). Our club subsideses the ref fees from the canteen/BBQ each week, all they ask is for voluteers from each team during the season to keep it running.

Thanks everyone these are certainly fantastic and have given me food for thought.

Some are better than I thought, some are more than I thought. I think the children may get to choose 2 outside sports and do the rest at school hopefully. When we are both working full time it will be difficult running them all around.