Singapore as a holiday destination

HappyHeart

Anyone been for longer than a stop-over? What's it like? Enough to see for a weeks stay?

Depending on how long you are staying for HH your best bet would be to go to an MRT (train) station and buy an Ezi-link card, you can then tap on and off the bus/train easier and cheaper.

A cheaper way to visit the zoo is to jump on the MRT from Orchard area to Ang Mo Kio station (red line North/South), from there you'd get on the 138 bus to the zoo.

Do you have smaller children HH? If so I'd recommend a trip to Wild Wild Wet at Pasir Ris. From Opposite Suntec City you could jump on the SBS number 10 bus to Tampines and stay on it until you get to the end of the line at the bus interchange. By doing so you'll get to see some other sights of Singapore because it'll take you off the beaten track through some of the heartlands. From the bus int it's an easy walk to Tampines mall where you could cheaply get a taxi for the quick ride to WWW. Tampines Mall and Tampnes 1 have some more local stores compared to Orchard Rd area.

Id actually recommend that you have an adventure and jump on and off the regular buses (not the tour ones) for a different view of the island. You'll never get lost and may find some hidden gems ;)

Visit Chinatown and Little India by taking the MRT (North East Line purple line).

You could visit Tanglin Mall, where you'll find lots of expats (Ang Moh) in there lol But it also holds one of my favorite places to eat in Singapore Komalas, it's on the bottom floor along with one of the more Expat supermarkets called Marketplace. Komalas is an Indian Vegetarian restaurant. Their Briyani Poori meals and Masala Dosai are brilliant!

I adore Singapore! I may be biased though as I was born there, lived there until my early teen years and still have family there :)

That being said, every time I have been to visit since, I never feel like I've had long enough! I was there for a week in December for a wedding and it was a rush to show my friend around (he had never been before).

I'm not sure if you have some particular questions in mind, but I'd be happy to help if I can.

I adore Singapore! I may be biased though as I was born there, lived there until my early teen years and still have family there :)

That being said, every time I have been to visit since, I never feel like I've had long enough! I was there for a week in December for a wedding and it was a rush to show my friend around (he had never been before).

I'm not sure if you have some particular questions in mind, but I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks Atlas and everyone else. I'd like some guidance on choosing a reasonably priced hotel that is centrally located, family friendly (9 yr old) and probably 4 star? Not after budget but not top end either. Somewhere with a decent sized pool and good facilities. I probably need to compile a list of must do's/sees as we will only go for a week. Any visas needed on entry? Anything I should know as a first time visitor. I'm aware of the climate and that's fine. Best to use cards there or other for of holiday funds? Do hotels charge in SD?

Thanks Atlas and everyone else. I'd like some guidance on choosing a reasonably priced hotel that is centrally located, family friendly (9 yr old) and probably 4 star? Not after budget but not top end either. Somewhere with a decent sized pool and good facilities. I probably need to compile a list of must do's/sees as we will only go for a week. Any visas needed on entry? Anything I should know as a first time visitor. I'm aware of the climate and that's fine. Best to use cards there or other for of holiday funds? Do hotels charge in SD?

Friends of ours just returned after staying at the Swissotel The Stamford, 2 Stamford Rd, Singapore, 178882. The said it was really nice, they don't have kids so can't comment on facilities for them. It is a good central location, prices seem to be in the $230-$450 range.

If you enter Singapore on a valid British/Australian passport you don't require a visa as long as your stay is less than one month.

I've only stayed in one hotel there, it was way back in early 2005, so not sure of the condition, service today. And yes, we were billed in SGD.

Anything you should know as a first time visitor? Yes. Be very very cautious in buying anything electrical from Sim Lim Square, they have a bad reputation for ripping off tourists. Not a good reflection on Singapore, the majority of stores are friendly and fair.

Edited by ScotsQuine

I love Singapore - especially Little India. I stay at the Broadway Hotel on Serangoon Road - cheapish, mostly frequented by Indians and cleanish but basic. I eat at hawker markets and drink locally brewed beer. I explore by MRT but have also discovered some lovely areas off the MRT route. I have never yet been to Orchard Road or Raffles - have I missed anything?

I love Singapore - especially Little India. I stay at the Broadway Hotel on Serangoon Road - cheapish, mostly frequented by Indians and cleanish but basic. I eat at hawker markets and drink locally brewed beer. I explore by MRT but have also discovered some lovely areas off the MRT route. I have never yet been to Orchard Road or Raffles - have I missed anything?

We missed out on those too Quinkla .. hopefully next time (along with the botanical gardens). I did love Robetsons Quay

Only went once about fifteen years ago. Found it very dull and struggled for things to do after three or four days despite best efforts. I sometimes wonder if I should go back to see if it has improved any!