Moved Back To The UK From Australia, Was It Hard To Adapt?

I was born and raised in London, moving to tunbridge wells area which is on the Kent Sussex boarder about 35 minutes on a train to the smoke, it's a lovely commuter town,very nice town,shops,traditional pubs and restaurants.

Tunbridge Wells, home to a rather large heist a few years back if my memory serves me right.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In honesty, I couldn't give a stuff what you do. But like Grey Sky, to me it reads that you are fitting the solution you want to a problem that you are determined to find... Do what ever you want to do, I really really don't care. I just struggle to comprehend the 'poor me: living amongst these foreigners with weird ways' that you often exude. Life is life wherever you live it; there is good stuff, there is bad stuff.

from an Aussie that will normally defend all things Aussie, I would have to say that EW does tend to have one of the more balanced posting styles, even if it does lean towards the mother country. Only every now and again do I think that he should just pack up and go ;)

Of course you don't. As ever, you exist solely to be sourly affronted by anyone who doesn't share your view of, well, just about anything really. I don't think that I've ever read a post of yours which was supportive or empathetic towards a fellow poster. Instead, it's normally restricted to a tart putdown or some other form of withering scorn directed at those whose views displease you.

Does it rankle with you that some don't share your view of this country and would like to return to their country of origin? Your posts certainly suggest an assumed superiority towards those for whom Australia is not the pinnacle of their lives. I came here reluctantly (to help keep a family intact) have struggled with Depression and homesickness throughout, and now finally I can see the end of the road in sight. Try and look at it from the other side, no one is threatening your happiness in your adopted country.

Grow up you big baby... It's great that you "can see the end of the road in sight", but like I say you seem to be bending all perspective to make the road point in that direction. The pragmatism you speak about isn't anywhere to be seen.

Grow up you big baby... It's great that you "can see the end of the road in sight", but like I say you seem to be bending all perspective to make the road point in that direction. The pragmatism you speak about isn't anywhere to be seen.

Peach, you really need to look at your posts. I find endless winter far more neutral in her posts regarding Australia, you just seem to criticize anyone who posts a negative about australia.

Peach, you really need to look at your posts. I find endless winter far more neutral in her posts regarding Australia, you just seem to criticize anyone who posts a negative about australia.

Thanks Perthbum, it is nice to know I have such an esteemed member reviewing my posts. I seldom post these days, for reasons such as this.

from an Aussie that will normally defend all things Aussie, I would have to say that EW does tend to have one of the more balanced posting styles, even if it does lean towards the mother country. Only every now and again do I think that he should just pack up and go ;)

From Australia, or just from this forum?! :wink:

PB, I know that I get accused of being an old woman sometimes, but I am actually a bloke! :smile:

That pragmatism, along with a loving and supportive family, has kept me here for nearly seven years, and may lead to me being here for many more to come. I'd love to go home, but if it's not right for us all as a family then it won't be happening. Is that a sufficiently mature response from a "big baby?"

[/b]

That pragmatism, along with a loving and supportive family, has kept me here for nearly seven years, and may lead to me being here for many more to come. I'd love to go home, but if it's not right for us all as a family then it won't be happening. Is that a sufficiently mature response from a "big baby?"

You don't need my validation. Do what you need to do...

Come on folks lets chill, stop and smell the doughnuts and agree wea are all probably related and family should no bicker.

Off topic, but talking about doughnuts, the most popular guy at a nudist colony is the one that can carry 4 coffees and 12 doughnuts:wink::cool:! the most popular female is the one that can eat the last two doughnuts:biglaugh:

Back on topic, Linda would have happily moved back to the UK from day one, and our two working age teenagers would have too, all three of them really did suffer and was painful to see for the first couple of years, whereas now the two children are more than happily settled here in OZ and both call it home. Both have travelled back to the UK and decided it is not for them anymore, but Linda is very torn as we have number 1 son and grandchildren in the UK (getting married this month) as well as other family pulling her one way and the life we have here pulling her the other and she does suffer over this dilemma from time to time. So I can, from experience understand how EW feels and hope things work out for him as a family, I can only consider myself lucky for not feeling the same.

Our way around this for Linda's sake, are trips back to UK every 12-18 months and a retirement plan (5 years away yet) to spend a lot more time in the UK and even buying a house there for that purpose, but there will be a time when we have to make a final decision on where to live out our last years, as at this moment in time we cannot say where that will be.

Back on topic, Linda would have happily moved back to the UK from day one, and our two working age teenagers would have too, all three of them really did suffer and was painful to see for the first couple of years, whereas now the two children are more than happily settled here in OZ and both call it home. Both have travelled back to the UK and decided it is not for them anymore, but Linda is very torn as we have number 1 son and grandchildren in the UK (getting married this month) as well as other family pulling her one way and the life we have here pulling her the other and she does suffer over this dilemma from time to time. So I can, from experience understand how EW feels and hope things work out for him as a family, I can only consider myself lucky for not feeling the same.

Our way around this for Linda's sake, are trips back to UK every 12-18 months and a retirement plan (5 years away yet) to spend a lot more time in the UK and even buying a house there for that purpose, but there will be a time when we have to make a final decision on where to live out our last years, as at this moment in time we cannot say where that will be.

We considered spending 6 months in each country before we retired 12 years ago, but realised after living between 2 countries Brunei and UK, for almost 10 years, I needed to call somewhere "home". It wasn't easy for me to constantly chop and change between 2 different lives, group of friends etc. I needed to feel I had a permanent base.

Our only 2 grandchildren are in UK, so I understand the pull, but in our case we now unexpectedly have more family here, so usually go back to UK for at least 2 months most years. We have property in UK, and originally thought we would go back between tenants, but to be honest that hasn't happened as the timing never seems right, and we usually have good long term tenants, so don't want to loose them.

also you have to factor in the cost of living between 2 countries? Do you rent each one out when in the other? trust me that can become very trying.

It's almost impossible to get a mortgage in UK when retired, especially if you don't intend living there permanently, so you might need to buy out right?

short term accomodation is hard find though when we go back, this year we are using airbnb, will see how that works out.

Hope this doesn't come across as too negative, just thought it would be interesting for others to post our experience.

Seems it's the curse of the migrant, be it mixed marriage or not to have children and or grandchildren spread around the globe or at least two countries. Presently all my children and my only grandchild live in Australia albeit the other side, not sure it will stay that way. My children have no intention of returning yet but who knows what the future holds. My sons adamant he's moving to Japan ! He's only 13 though :laugh:

Hi EW, it's been 4 1/2 years since we moved back to Canada from Australia. It was not hard to slip back into our old life. My daughters were 17 when we moved back. They ended up at 2 high schools, and I did wonder if they would cope with all the moving around we did. They have turned out great, my one starts college in September for Dental Hygiene and the other is just finishing up an esthetician course.

I do feel for you, I have read your posts for numerous years and knew how unhappy you have been in Australia. I think your trips back to the UK did keep you somewhat sane lol.

I wish you all the best and hope that you eventually get to move back to the UK.

Cheers

Karen

We considered spending 6 months in each country before we retired 12 years ago, but realised after living between 2 countries Brunei and UK, for almost 10 years, I needed to call somewhere "home". It wasn't easy for me to constantly chop and change between 2 different lives, group of friends etc. I needed to feel I had a permanent base.

Our only 2 grandchildren are in UK, so I understand the pull, but in our case we now unexpectedly have more family here, so usually go back to UK for at least 2 months most years. We have property in UK, and originally thought we would go back between tenants, but to be honest that hasn't happened as the timing never seems right, and we usually have good long term tenants, so don't want to loose them.

also you have to factor in the cost of living between 2 countries? Do you rent each one out when in the other? trust me that can become very trying.

It's almost impossible to get a mortgage in UK when retired, especially if you don't intend living there permanently, so you might need to buy out right?

short term accomodation is hard find though when we go back, this year we are using airbnb, will see how that works out.

Hope this doesn't come across as too negative, just thought it would be interesting for others to post our experience.

We know there are a lot of the finer details still to work-out/consider and things will no doubt change over the next 5 years, but we were thinking of buying outright, downsizing here at present and use that money plus extra from here if needed, and can still pay off any mortgage whilst working, rent out between now and retirement. Also was thinking of maybe making both homes available to migrating, ping/pong poms for short periods, basically to cover rates.

We do not have short term accommodation problems at present (six weeks coming up in a couple of weeks) but for the longer term of 5-6 months we would really want a home. There is also a car to sort out too...............too much to think about at present, only wishful dreaming!

Blimey, I think someone has inadvertently skipped a few doses of their HRT...talk about spiky!

:biglaugh:

Hi EW, it's been 4 1/2 years since we moved back to Canada from Australia. It was not hard to slip back into our old life. My daughters were 17 when we moved back. They ended up at 2 high schools, and I did wonder if they would cope with all the moving around we did. They have turned out great, my one starts college in September for Dental Hygiene and the other is just finishing up an esthetician course.

I do feel for you, I have read your posts for numerous years and knew how unhappy you have been in Australia. I think your trips back to the UK did keep you somewhat sane lol.

I wish you all the best and hope that you eventually get to move back to the UK.

Cheers

Karen

Thanks Karen, that's very kind of you. That it worked out for you returning with teenagers gives me some encouragement. I am generally reasonably happy here nowadays. Certainly compared to the early years out here which were extremely tough. I would still like to make it home though at some stage, particularly so that our daughter can get to know her English family and explore that other side of her heritage. :smile:

I now get this. You are actually "friendly" bickering and the fact you keep coming back to each other for banter, means actually you think each other is very important to your day! Nice. Whether in agreement or not, it might mean a lot to some people to have a focus for their day and any chance of communication. Some people are so isolated, some people (like me with a hubby away a lot) just have a motor mouth and love chatting!

Reading these forums at times often brings a smile to my face! So, cheers to all! :wubclub:

I now get this. You are actually "friendly" bickering and the fact you keep coming back to each other for banter, means actually you think each other is very important to your day! Nice. Whether in agreement or not, it might mean a lot to some people to have a focus for their day and any chance of communication. Some people are so isolated, some people (like me with a hubby away a lot) just have a motor mouth and love chatting!

Reading these forums at times often brings a smile to my face! So, cheers to all! :wubclub:

Some of us have been on these forums so long, we actually forget who we like and dislike!

That EW for instance, what a plonker! I'm sure I used to think he was a good bloke....

Some of us have been on these forums so long, we actually forget who we like and dislike!

That EW for instance, what a plonker! I'm sure I used to think he was a good bloke....

Oi!, no more 'likes' for you sunshine if that's the cut of your jib! :mad:

Archived