Moving to noosa

Neil Wilshere

Hi guy,

we are the Wilshere family from South Wales.

and hopefully be making the big move in August, I'm Neil 35 my wife ami is 33 two lads 15 and 11.

Just thought I'd say hello and if there's anyone new to the sunshine Coast this year that would like to meet up just let us know we love all things outdoors.

Look forward to seeing you

regards Neil.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil

Welcome to the forum, Noosa is lovely i am sure you will love what awaits you. Im not sure if we have any members in Noosa, but we have lots of know the area and / or live nearby so hopefully they will be along soon.

Lots of luck with your move

Cal x

Welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but...............as lovely as Noosa may seem...................are you ok for work? Folks often underestimate the distance that they may have to travel to work, and noosa isn't exactly a thriving industrial or financial hub...........so just giving you the "heads up" but I hope things are sorted and work out for you

Hi Neil, just wanted to say........You lucky b***er!!! I love Noosa! Good luck!

Thanks guys , i work with under ground pipes water ang gas so I travel a bit now . My wife works with kids with special needs . I think what we need to do is start there in a holiday let and go from there .

What's up Neil,

I'm looking at settling in Noosa as well. We're looking at moving sometime in June or July depending on how selling our house goes.

Definitely keep in touch here and maybe we can get together for a BBQ. We have 4 kids, 17yof, 14yom, 11yom and 9yom. Looking forward to the nice weather, beaches, good people, fishing, scuba, 4x4 trips, camping and pretty much anything outdoors.

Good luck my man!

Hi guy,

we are the Wilshere family from South Wales.

and hopefully be making the big move in August, I'm Neil 35 my wife ami is 33 two lads 15 and 11.

Just thought I'd say hello and if there's anyone new to the sunshine Coast this year that would like to meet up just let us know we love all things outdoors.

Look forward to seeing you

regards Neil.

Hey, did you see this thread?

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/228675-new-noosa.html

This guy is living in Noosa and gave it quite a great review.

Hi mate , definitely meet up I love the look of noosa I've see some good mounting bike rides there .

we are also looking to go in July just had my pc back so hopefully get are visa soon then start looking at booking things .

We have sold are house so no hold ups there, it's all starting to become real now .

where are you from ? Us lot are from swansea so it may take you a while to understand us lol. We just can't wait to get going I hate having one foot in and one out trying to get on with normal life , but all good things come to those who wait. Send me a pm with you email mate .

Regards neil

We are on Alexandra Headland at the min, but have friends in Noosa so often venture up there (which is only about 25min). We've been out here just over a year now and loving it, you can't really go wrong choosing where you want to live on the Sunny Coast to be honest, we started on Kings Beach.

If you want any advice on rentals and the application process or buying a property give me a shout. Or the things you are going to have to do when you get out here.

Happy to help

Well you've made a good choice in Noosa, it is a lovely part of the world and definitely has the lifestyle and outdoor activities already mentioned in this thread so you won't be disapointed.

I moved here with my family 18 months ago and had to arrange a house, cars, schools, etc so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

First year has been awesome but tough as we came out here with no work. If you're doing the same I would expect to go at least 6 months without work and I hear Noosa is very clicky when it comes to employment opportunities. I've not found any specific gatherings but not really looked to be honest, we met people through play groups, hobbies and work. There's a lot of us Brits out here so there's always someone you can share your immigration stories with.

No we don't have jobs to go to, we have funds to last for a bit I don't mind what I do for work.

We have a few hobbies that we would like to keep up so hopefully we will meet people that way as well .

We're not dead set on noosa , think what we need to do is get a holiday let and have a good look about.

• 3 weeks later...
Well you've made a good choice in Noosa, it is a lovely part of the world and definitely has the lifestyle and outdoor activities already mentioned in this thread so you won't be disapointed.

I moved here with my family 18 months ago and had to arrange a house, cars, schools, etc so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hey, KOKORO.... where do you recommend renting a house? We've been looking at Noosa Waters as well as Sunshine/Sunrise Beach. What do you recommend and why?

Thanks

We moved to the Sunshine Coast a year ago now from Lancashire with our young family. It truely is a wonderful place to live but again not to sound negative finding employment here is not easy. My fella found work quickly in Brisbane which he took despite the 2 and a half hour dreadful commute daily. He was constantly applying for positions on the coast and was successful 6 weeks ago. I was fortunate enough to to secure a full time job with QLD Health prior to leaving the UK.

Certainly not not trying to put you off and you may be very lucky with employment. However it is a desirable place to live and as a result there are not may jobs and lots of people applying. It may be worth looking for employment prior to leaving the UK.

Its ts an exciting time and I wish you all the best!

We moved to the Sunshine Coast a year ago now from Lancashire with our young family. It truely is a wonderful place to live but again not to sound negative finding employment here is not easy. My fella found work quickly in Brisbane which he took despite the 2 and a half hour dreadful commute daily. He was constantly applying for positions on the coast and was successful 6 weeks ago. I was fortunate enough to to secure a full time job with QLD Health prior to leaving the UK.

Certainly not not trying to put you off and you may be very lucky with employment. However it is a desirable place to live and as a result there are not may jobs and lots of people applying. It may be worth looking for employment prior to leaving the UK.

Its ts an exciting time and I wish you all the best!

Luckily, I will be bringing my work with me which is good and bad. Opening a new business is always stressful and expensive but rewarding when it's up and running.

Hey, KOKORO.... where do you recommend renting a house? We've been looking at Noosa Waters as well as Sunshine/Sunrise Beach. What do you recommend and why?

Thanks

There are no bad areas around here but each one has slightly different positives/negatives so its really just depends what you are looking for. As the different areas are so close to each other you are only a short drive from everything anyway so unless you really want to be close to something in particular like the beach, river or a school I’m sure you will be happy wherever you rent. Like everywhere else in the world prices vary depending on how good your view is, how close you are to the water, Main Beach, etc so you will probably find that your budget helps narrow down the search.

If you’ve not already found it, http://www.realestate.com.au is a good site to look at to get an idea of the market.

Below is a little breakdown on how I view each area

Sunrise/Sunshine

The main attraction for this area is the proximity to the beach and Duke St which has a good Surf club, restaurant & bars. The further away from the beach you go the more suburban it gets but that means there is a good selection of houses available that are still only a 15 minute walk from the beach. Sunshine backs on to Noosa Junction where there is a lot more shops, restaurants, cinema, etc.

Noosa Waters

I live here and I like it as its close to the Mountain bike trails, I have the canal at the bottom of my garden so can go paddle boarding or kayaking any time (cant afford a boat yet), and most importantly for me it’s an easy walk to Noosaville which has lots of restaurants and things for the family to do in the park or on the river. As the majority of the houses face on to the water the roads have a quiet suburban feel to them, but the area is not that old so the houses are all fairly decent.

Noosaville

A lot of people like this area due to its proximity to everything on Gympie Terrace and that its only a short distance to Hastings St, but as there is a lot of holiday accommodation here there seems to be less long term rentals available.

Noosa Springs

This is a newer development backing on to a golf club, it has very nice houses but has always felt a bit isolated to me.

Pergian Beach/Peregian Springs

The Beach/square area is lovely with a really nice vibe to it which is good for families. Its further away from Noosa so you would be doing more driving, but if you like a village feel its worth looking at. Perigian Springs is inland from the beach and as it’s a fairly new development seems to always have a lot of newly built good quality houses available to rent

Hope that helps, let me know if you want more details on anything.

Not intended for me but thanks for that info. Can I ask you what the tourism is like in the winter months? I ask because I'll be looking for a chefs position on the Sunshine Coast at some point and would like to know if that effects employment ect...?

Not intended for me but thanks for that info. Can I ask you what the tourism is like in the winter months? I ask because I'll be looking for a chefs position on the Sunshine Coast at some point and would like to know if that effects employment ect...?

The tourism definitely drops significantly in the winter months but in Noosa they are good at planning events all year round to keep it ticking over and a constant flow of visitors, I think a lot of people also come up from places like Melbourne for short breaks to escape the colder weather down there.

I don't know much about the hospitality industry though so maybe someone else might come along with more info for you

Good Luck!

Thanks for this post! Lots of great info. We've been looking at Noosa Waters and wouldn't you know it, for the last 6 months there has been houses available and now that we are getting ready to move there is nothing! GRRRRR. Keep your eyes open for us, we're looking for a 4 bedroom in the 700pw price range.

You really need to be here as you cannot rent without actually seeing. Once you get here just sit on realestate.com.au every day to see what comes up. We found most of the new properties are uploaded around midday. Don't waste your time going around to agencies as everything more or less gets put up online very quickly. We were here two weeks before we found something suitable size and budget wise in Noosaville/ Noosa Waters. There is only two of us but wanted DLUG for storgage etc. Just sitting here now in the middle of a pile of boxes :-) familiar feeling for many.....

Download the rental docs from the relevant agency website and have them ready to hand in should you see the place you want. We just emailed all the backup files for the applications. Noosa Heads / Sunshine beach was also an option but Noosaville is a lovely spot. Noosa Heads has a few different areas and you can find some lovely streets and quite close to everything. Visit the agency if you see the place you think you want before viewing. We found just getting to chat with them then while organizing a viewing gives an opportunity to get a feel for each other. Helps when you are here you can drive around and check out the places beforehand and do a driveby as this will help eliminate places pretty quickly so you dont waste your time.

If self employed might need details from accountant etc, bank account statements to back things up.

Best of luck if i see anything will let you know

The tourism definitely drops significantly in the winter months but in Noosa they are good at planning events all year round to keep it ticking over and a constant flow of visitors, I think a lot of people also come up from places like Melbourne for short breaks to escape the colder weather down there.

I don't know much about the hospitality industry though so maybe someone else might come along with more info for you

Good Luck!

thank you for that info. I'm aware that the tourism will drop but there just seems to be so many restaurants/hotels around the Sunshine Coast that In finding it hard to see how it would be difficult for me to find a job there.

Archived