Daughter going to UK to study - access to NHS + other issues

51sugar

We emigrated in 1990 and have dual citizenship. Daughter who also has dual citizenship is leaving to study in UK for 3 years. She will be 18.

We have not paid any UK tax for decades.

Can my daughter get access to NHS as a UK citizen or is there a qualifying period to be in country?

Also, are there any avenues to be treated as UK student rather than overseas - I.e lower fees?

Also are there any other obstacles she may hit as a UK citizen who has never resided previously in UK?

thanks for any advice

She is entitled to healthcare immediatly. However, although she is entitled to domestic fees, but she isnt entitled to any funding - no student loans

That sounds like the rule for a PR going to Australia. For someone coming to the UK, there needs to be three years residence or it is international fees.

Review of wikipedia said three year requirement - was hoping there may be alternative to perhaps access even a loan scheme - she falls outside HECS and as far as I can see also outside the UK system.

Do you mean HECS in Australia? As an Australian citizen she can utilise HECS loans and study as a domestic student in Australia.

It is not means based and it will be a lot cheaper for her to study here probably.

No - what I mean is that she cannot get HECS to study overseas and she cannot access anything in UK as far as I can tell. Unfortunately Australia doesn't offer the quality of course she is after.

Well, she will need to pay international fees overseas in that case.

What course does she wish to study in the UK?

One possible option would be for her to commence a course here in Australia, at a university that offers exchange programs for a semester or two in the UK. That way HECS would cover fees.

No - what I mean is that she cannot get HECS to study overseas and she cannot access anything in UK as far as I can tell. Unfortunately Australia doesn't offer the quality of course she is after.

Are you sure she cannot get a UK student loan? I didn't immediately see that she would be ruled out although I cabeat that with I only spent two minutes looking.

Otherwise, well if you cannot fund it then she may need to study in Australia. I am sure the "quality" of education in my local comp in a deprived area in NW England was not on a par with what Eton could have offered, but down the line it doesn't make a lot of difference. And I am not saying that in a flippant or dismissive way but purely practical, we can't always have what we want - but it doesn't ruin your life.

As some have said above, she will have to pay international fees (which can be around UKP 25k a year so hope she's/you're prepared for that) and will not be able to get a student loan as she will not have been resident in the country for the three years prior to commencing her course. It may be worth looking into her living and working in Europe for a while - I think if she does that there may be a loophole where she only needs to work in Europe for something like three months to qualify as a European resident and thus be entitled to just pay 'local' fees at British Unis - but I'm not sure of the ins and outs of that. The other alternative would be to look at studying in another European country - many offer courses with English tuition now, and some, for instance Scandinavian Unis, do not charge fees at all.

Not an option I'm afraid.

Well I guess she (or you) will will have to fund international fees in the UK if she is intent on studying there.

The simpler option is to study here, where she is eligible for domestic rates and is able to access student loans.

There are bursaries available to talented overseas students, although I think these are more likely to go to students from developing countries who couldn't otherwise study.It would take a lot of research but I presume she is targeting specific universities which will cut it down. Lookhere for a start.http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/other-financial-support/other-bursaries-and-scholarships/

Need to pay overseas term fees upfront as I understand it. But much cheaper fees in Europe - Antwerp etc - not sure if you count as 'overseas' for these if you have a British passport and want to study in Europe...Do post with any outcomes as in similar situation myself and resigned to child studying in Australia unless we can find the $$

She is not entitled to NHS treatment, only urgent necessary treatment under reciprocal agreement until she has lived in the UK for at least a year. My kids are also dual citizens and not entitled to NHS. I am not complaining as I don't expect it as I have not paid taxes in UK for 13 years.

She is not entitled to NHS treatment, only urgent necessary treatment under reciprocal agreement until she has lived in the UK for at least a year. My kids are also dual citizens and not entitled to NHS. I am not complaining as I don't expect it as I have not paid taxes in UK for 13 years.

I accessed a GP (without any problem) for my child whilst on a visit to the UK, there was no issue.

It was in a village, so that might have made a difference.

I accessed a GP (without any problem) for my child whilst on a visit to the UK, there was no issue.

It was in a village, so that might have made a difference.

The Tories want to bring in a charge for visitors seeking medical treatment which is only fair I suppose.

The Tories want to bring in a charge for visitors seeking medical treatment which is only fair I suppose.

I would have happily paid if needed. I think the NHS needs to be looked after. I have friends who are Doctors in Bristol and they are basically in despair. It's all crashing around them.

I would have happily paid if needed. I think the NHS needs to be looked after. I have friends who are Doctors in Bristol and they are basically in despair. It's all crashing around them.

Privatisation will really hit if the Tories get in again, NHS for profit just ain't going to work.

It's different for international students as long as they meet the requirements. Doesn't help with the cost of the course though :smile:

http://www.foreignstudents.com/health/nhs

Archived