Computer help please folks!

Jacaranda

Hi All,I brought a new laptop late last year,which has Windows 8!(not that that means anything to me???lol)Anyway I used You Tube quite a lot,and usually once a week,I'll try to download,usually a song,and all I'm getting is a green screen on You Tube.I don't know how to fix this but I have been "refreshing"my laptop when this happens,and it does fix it......until about a week later when the same thing happens!Grrrr

So peeps,I am hoping someone on here can explain how to fix it?Please reply with "Computing for Dummies" in mind as I am not a techy person!:laugh:TIA xxx

If you are able to play video from any other sources, the graphics card is ok. If the answer is yes, then I suspect the flash player on your machine is out of date. Do you get any error message at all ? If no error message, then, trying to help you out remotely will be challenging, and your best bet maybe to take it to place you bought it from.

Does this happen in other browsers - Firefox or Chrome? If you don't have them i would recommend you download and install them as they are both better and more reliable than IE.

If it doesn't happen in other browsers then sometimes changing the Accelerated Graphics setting under Tools->Internet Options (Advanced tab) help. Click to select the 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box' and restart IE. Try youtube again.

Good luck

What it means is that you have one of the worst releases in windows history. To be fair, it is just very different for someone familiar with previous windows, so you are probably ignorantly happy with it (except from the youtube thing).

I had this problem and fixed it by doing the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Tools.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and scroll down to the Accelerated graphics section.

4. Select the "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" check box.

5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Hope it works for you also.

What it means is that you have one of the worst releases in windows history.

Windows 8 aint the worse for sure

I actually like it

Just gotta know how to use it and tweak it

VISTA takes that biscuit for sure

*Edit*

Oh and my advice comes from me not Google

Not that all the others are from Google searching

You know the answers to all computer problems without ever using google. That's impressive.

Not sure if I should say thanks for the praise or do I sense a slight bit of a subtle personal attack

Either way THANKS

I've had this issue several times while doing my job so was able to reply without the need of google search

I guess when working in a certain field it does help

I'm also honest enough to say I learn new stuff everyday especially with the new security threats that come out

Howard

While all you computer techy people are around.....can I ask another question, please?

I use Windows 8.1 with Chrome.

For some reason unknown to any sane person, Chrome has just changed its Bookmarks Manager format so that all the bookmarks appear in a graphics format instead of a plain text listing.

I'm finding this very irritating. Is there any way of reverting back to the old format?

Click on that wheel thing top right and change to List.

I've never used the bookmark manager.

I normally just drag and drop things to the bookmark line, and right click in the line to add folders etc.

I'll have to have a play with that manager and see if it is useful.

virus.jpg

can anyone out there advise on this pop-up I get every time I start up my laptop. We never open it only cancel and it pops up about 5 minutes after we have switched on, other Windows up-dates appear to load as normal when you switch off and switch on again, just this one seems different, my security is not picking anything up but I am not too sure that this is Kosher!

any advise appreciated.

Keith

virus.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29698[/ATTACH]

can anyone out there advise on this pop-up I get every time I start up my laptop. We never open it only cancel and it pops up about 5 minutes after we have switched on, other Windows up-dates appear to load as normal when you switch off and switch on again, just this one seems different, my security is not picking anything up but I am not too sure that this is Kosher!

any advise appreciated.

Keith

Can't even read the image with a magnifying glass lol

Archived