Who Living in Australia Now!!! Think, Know, Love, Hate life here

HelensvaleHoward

Hard to make comparisons now because I've lived here over 40 years. Loved it more or less from the start ( ok the drive from Tullamarine airport to St Kilda was challenging and extremely ugly for our first taste of Melbourne!). We knew no one when we came, you have to be pretty friendly and outgoing I think but , knowing no one,no one has any expectations so you can be whatever or whoever you want. I made a conscious decision not to be the shrinking violet I tended to be in the UK. It worked and it is amazing how many people you get to know if you are prepared to take the odd risk and invite people round! I think I spent the first few years totally besotted with the place-could see no wrongs. Whitlam era- good man he was. Sadly the political situation has deteriorated and none of them seem that honest or committed now. Still a good place to live but it has lost its innocence now, getting more like the rest of the world. I'd never return to the UK though, not even to visit. Next big European trip will be to Norway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in Australia just over 40 years. I'm here for family reasons, my family is in UK. I do enjoy Sydney and it is not that expensive when you know your way around. We have the advantage of a house that was bought when they were real cheap, with a maturing policy and some savings didn't even have a mortgage. Not only do we love Sydney but we love the house that we've lived in since it was new around 35 years ago; we are about to make a small extension and renovate the rest so that we can live here much longer. We do visit UK every few years and enjoy it as any other holiday destination to a foreign country.

I've been in Australia just over 40 years. I'm here for family reasons, my family is in UK. I do enjoy Sydney and it is not that expensive when you know your way around. We have the advantage of a house that was bought when they were real cheap, with a maturing policy and some savings didn't even have a mortgage. Not only do we love Sydney but we love the house that we've lived in since it was new around 35 years ago; we are about to make a small extension and renovate the rest so that we can live here much longer. We do visit UK every few years and enjoy it as any other holiday destination to a foreign country.

Where do you live again, Nigel? Is it up around Hornsby or Berowra? I'm not sure how you measure how cheap or dear a house is at different times without comparing the cost of living/wages in relative terms? I guess my flat, which cost $75,000 in 1987, is worth around (I hope) $600 000 today, but when I bought it, I did not think it was especially cheap, or my mortgage easy to service, and I think the interest rate reached 17.5 or even 18 per cent then?

I never really think of Sydney being particularly dear or expensive either. I suppose people who come on holiday see it in those terms, depending on the rate of exchange, well under $2 to a pound and it's dear, up towards $3, then it seems relatively cheap. But I just 'live' here. I struggle at times, and have a bit of a credit card debt at the moment, but then again, I'm not exactly trying to economise!

Honest question Maryrose02 - would you be able to buy your flat today IF you were starting out today and doing the jobs that you did throughout your life? I'm curious. I could never afford your flat on my very average Sydney wage today. Did you have high paying jobs or were inner city apartment just a lot cheaper relative to income 30 yrs ago?

We looked at a house for sale at Avalon Beach, Sydney in 1981. It was an older house but well built and right on the beach. It was for sale for $75,000. We really thought about it but decided we couldn't afford it :cry: I wonder what it is worth today. Not long after that we moved to Perth and bought a block of land and built our own home. When we moved back to Sydney a few years later, we bought a house with a pool in North Ryde for $200,000. We lived there for 22 years and did a fair bit of renovations to the house.

I bought a 2 acre block of land at Maryborough for $28K when we first came here 20 yrs ago...............2 years later it flooded before we had a chance to build and move there so we sold it for $17k...........20 yrs on and with flood mitigation that buyer is now selling for $280K,,,,,,,,,,,,wished we had the wherewithall to hang on to it but you live and learn...................an $11k hit back then was a big deal.....................set us back, but we managed.

We are a bit further into the bush than Berowra. At the time relative to our pay it was inexpensive. If we were still working and on whatever today's salary would be it would be a struggle to buy this house. We were very lucky to buy at the right time, values in the area went up by heaps about three years after. There's also the pressure of not much available North of Hornsby plus sewerage together with kerbs and gutters have been installed, both of these seemed to push values up.

We have been here 12 years and are heading to the UK. We came for the adventure and we have had it. I have worked hard and we have done well and we have really enjoyed being here but it is time to do something else. I am not an Aussie hater, I am just bored here, and before people jump on me - I will explain.

As I am getting older I have more interest in European history and culture, I am studying an archaeology degree presently and cannot enter that field here as the areas of interest just don't exist here. I find this a great country for young people, loads of outside things to do, lively music scene, good lifestyle, but I think I can get that in the UK and have the bits that are missing, that I generally wasnt interested in when I was younger. We will eventually move to France - for yet another adventure - in about 5 years, which gives me loads of time to brush up my French, and to be honest if my French was good enough, we would go straight from here.

I will never judge anyone for wanting to come here. However what irks me is when I get judged for wanting to leave. As I have said before, I am moving on not moving back.

Good luck to all on here - those coming, those going, those who have been here for a long time. We each make our own destinies and make the decisions that are right for us at the time. I wouldn't have missed this adventure for the world but I am looking forward to a new one.

If you want your own house ....I think Aus is a good provider.

we came to Aus with zilch (Didnt sell the UK house)

1 move cube for personal items, plus a suitcase each.

rented for two years, then got a government backed mortgage, for those on low incomes. No dramas, no deposit needed.

yes, we could only afford the burbs, but I like the quieter life after living two years in the metro area.

aus will give you a good go for sure.

We have been here 12 years and are heading to the UK. We came for the adventure and we have had it. I have worked hard and we have done well and we have really enjoyed being here but it is time to do something else. I am not an Aussie hater, I am just bored here, and before people jump on me - I will explain.

As I am getting older I have more interest in European history and culture, I am studying an archaeology degree presently and cannot enter that field here as the areas of interest just don't exist here. I find this a great country for young people, loads of outside things to do, lively music scene, good lifestyle, but I think I can get that in the UK and have the bits that are missing, that I generally wasnt interested in when I was younger. We will eventually move to France - for yet another adventure - in about 5 years, which gives me loads of time to brush up my French, and to be honest if my French was good enough, we would go straight from here.

I will never judge anyone for wanting to come here. However what irks me is when I get judged for wanting to leave. As I have said before, I am moving on not moving back.

Good luck to all on here - those coming, those going, those who have been here for a long time. We each make our own destinies and make the decisions that are right for us at the time. I wouldn't have missed this adventure for the world but I am looking forward to a new one.

That's what it's all about chook..................whatever floats your boat..................... and I'll never understand those who's boat is floating, criticising when theirs is floating OK thank you...........even if it's on some different water................mine floats here for the time being, but it could just as easily float in the UK..........family keeps me here and with two yonuger Aussie kids here, and 3 older English kids there.............how do you choose?

Just read a bit of this thread.... " moved here 20,30,40 years ago and don't find it that expensive" well try having a 6,7,8,9,hundred grand Mortgage round your neck and tell us how reasonable things are

Choices, choices, choices.........that kind of mortgage is by choice................I have a 4 bed within half an hour of the CBD for $400K...............

Not your average location but if anyone wants to "make a go of it" and step outside th3eir comfort zone:

The median rent in Charleville is $150 per week and the median mortgage repayment is $1125 per month. Now you may not like the thought of regional towns, but all I'm illustrating is that with the right foresight and ambition. the steps on the ladder are there..............if you're from "darn sarf" it may not be attractive if from oop norf, then maybe

Just read a bit of this thread.... " moved here 20,30,40 years ago and don't find it that expensive" well try having a 6,7,8,9,hundred grand Mortgage round your neck and tell us how reasonable things are

Why go for a mortgage that big??

We got a mortgage here no probs on Keystart, yes were told we had the ability to go for a 1.3 million loan.

no thanks. We bough last year for under for far less than half that. Yes we now love in the burbs rather than where we rented metro.

but we love it, it has a lovely community, we've made so many friends, something I never did living metro.

not bad i say for a couple who arrived with two teenagers in tow with nothing other than suitcases and a small movecube.

you can get a house here, no probs, no need for a large deposit.

i was so amazed it was so easy.

Choices, choices, choices.........that kind of mortgage is by choice................I have a 4 bed within half an hour of the CBD for $400K...............

Not your average location but if anyone wants to "make a go of it" and step outside th3eir comfort zone:

The median rent in Charleville is $150 per week and the median mortgage repayment is $1125 per month. Now you may not like the thought of regional towns, but all I'm illustrating is that with the right foresight and ambition. the steps on the ladder are there..............if you're from "darn sarf" it may not be attractive if from oop norf, then maybe

Many moons ago I went out that way with some mates, not quite to Charleville but if memory serves $150 a week is still about $100 too expensive. It was a horrible hot dust bowl.

We got a mortgage here no probs on Keystart, yes were told we had the ability to go for a 1.3 million loan.

no thanks. We bough last year for under for far less than half that. Yes we now love in the burbs rather than where we rented metro.

but we love it, it has a lovely community, we've made so many friends, something I never did living metro.

not bad i say for a couple who arrived with two teenagers in tow with nothing other than suitcases and a small movecube.

Liar, liar, you're bum's on fire! :tongue:

I think it is true of all major cities now, it is or is fast approaching being given impossible for many.

Capitalism............market forces.............if it becomes "impossiblle"...............then the price will drop to "possible"...............hopefully, when it becomes "possible" then those who thought they would reap the benefits of "investing" will realise the downside of capitalism and the impossible will be revealed

Because if you want to live in Sydney or Melbourne your have to pay that money. Could say the same about the uk, why pay London prices when you could move to the middle of Wales and buy a big house for 150 grand, it's about location

Because if you want to live in Sydney or Melbourne your have to pay that money. Could say the same about the uk, why pay London prices when you could move to the middle of Wales and buy a big house for 150 grand, it's about location

We are on about Perth??

easy as to get a house here. If you don't have a deposit, then no probs, buy on the burbs.

Just the same as back in the UK, just the burbs here can mean living right on the doorstep to a beach.

I come originally from a beautiful location in Scotland but most of the young folk leave for the cities because there is no work. Also sadly over the years the house prices in that area have shot up because of people retiring from the south of England to that area of Scotland. The last time I was there I hardly heard a Scottish voice in the local pub - all accents from down sarf.

We have been here 12 years and are heading to the UK. ...

I don't blame you at all. Visiting and touring around Continental Europe is great, we have done it lot and it certainly beats Asia, parts of which are now becoming quite dangerous, my wife is Australian but she has no family left, however, we are so well settled into our home and the area that we could never leave even for another part of Australia, it will be a sad day for us if we have to go into care. I'm in touch with a number of people who went to Canada when they were young and thoroughly enjoyed living there but now, as they retire, they are finding the winters difficult to handle but many feel trapped there because of grandchildren. We didn't have any children so not a problem that we have. Anyway Mrs Dawn, with fares now very affordable you can return for a holiday whenever you want; hope you've taken citizenship just in case.

Archived