Feeling apprehensive about moving to sydney - I am right or wrong to be scared?

gloucester girl

I am basically scared that I won't be able to get and a job and even if I get a job we won't be able to get our daughter into daycare.

The situation is that we have got the permanent visa. We are myself, my husband and our 3-year-old girl. My sister lives in sydney, so we will be staying with her while looking for a place to live of our own. That is sorted and all great. My husband is a chef, is very good at his job and has a great gift of the gab. He'll be fine, but won't earn enough to support all of us. I am a secondary science teacher, with good experience (6 years grammar and international experience including head of department). But I have heard that it difficult to get a job as a teacher in australia, especially as I don't want to go through the state system and would like to try to get a job in private schools. Also I have heard that it is very very hard to get a child into daycare, with long waiting lists. We can't apply for places before we get to sydney as we have only a vague idea of where we will end of living (inner west by my sister), no idea of where we will have work and of course we don't want to apply blind.

Some questions:

1. How long did it take you to get a job in sydney? Was that first job outside your usual profession? I'll do anything (well almost, so long as it brings in money).

2. How long did it take you to get your child into daycare? Has anyone had to turn down a job because of lack of daycare?

3. How long did it take you to get a decent rented place?

4. Is it possible to tutor as a decently paid part-time job?

Thanks....

I really wouldn't worry.

Just get here and work it out when you do.

We heard lots of tales of doom, etc etc just wait until you do your first food shop. You will walk out hugging each other with fear of not being able to feed yourselves due to the cost.

Then the $ start to come in and its all ok.

Be positive this is the best thing you will ever do.

I am basically scared that I won't be able to get and a job and even if I get a job we won't be able to get our daughter into daycare.

The situation is that we have got the permanent visa. We are myself, my husband and our 3-year-old girl. My sister lives in sydney, so we will be staying with her while looking for a place to live of our own.

Yes of course you're right to be scared, you're heading into the unknown! However, you're ahead of most people because you have family in Sydney so you won't be stuck in expensive temp accommodation while you look for work. That is a big head start!

At your level, I'd say you could start writing to private schools now to test the waters. They're not going to fly you out for an interview but at least you can make the connection.

Sure you'll be scared - suck it and see what happens. Try not to burn any bridges behind you so if it doesn't to according to plan you've lost less (take career break, rent out your house etc) and see what pops up. As long as you're a 4 year trained secondary science teacher you shouldn't have as much trouble as a primary teacher for example.

With your skills between you you have a flying start so I would try not to worry too much. From what I have heard it is actually easier to get into the private school system than state schools ( at least in Victoria, not sure about NSW). It is good to be a bit nervous- it will give a bit of a motivational edge if you know what I mean! Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. The cost of food doesn't scare us (live in sweden now!). I am a great believer that things usually work out because they have to. Nice not to have have any more horror stories and some positivity.

Where in Sweden are you? I am in Kiruna.

You wont find the cost of food in Oz as bad as Sweden.

Just a little update for anyone looking at this thread especially regarding child care. I sent off a lot of enquiry emails to nurseries in the inner west and got at least 3 back saying that they had vacancies for the beginning of september. Which is great news in that I would be able to get my daughter into day care with at least 5 months notice bearing in mind that I will hopefully be starting working as a teacher in january and arriving in august.

The only thing is do I gamble and try to secure her a place now (my sister can visit and check it out) for september. But this will then potentially ties us the area and a day care that we may not be happy with AND have to pay 2 weeks' fees upfront (10 days x 105 dollars!!!!!) for a day care that maybe not be needed. Or wait until we get there and hope that I can find a day care within a couple of weeks notice after finding a job and some where to live.

VERYSTORMY: we live in gothenburg. Love it here, but my husband is swedish and is wants to move somewhere new where both of us can have good job. I am limited my choice of job here because my swedish isn't good enough to teach in swedish. Will miss our excellent and cheap dagis! Seriously our dagis is so good and our daughter is so happy there that that is the greatest reservation I have about moving.

Archived