Preparing to start our application to move to Australia as a nurse...

Larad86

Please could I have some advise and clarification on a few points....

my partner and I have started it look into emigrating to Australia. We recently went to an expo and took on board a lot information which just generated a load more questions.

So we plan to got to WA on the 189 visa on the basis that I am a registered nurse. I have been qualified a year this April. The process as we understand is as as follows...

1) apply to APHRA (our version of NMC)

2) apply to ANMAC which is the skills assessment

3) apply for the visa

however having read posts would it not be best to apply to ANMAC first because being only a year qualified WA want at least years experience but I have also been told that if we apply for 189 I only need a degree and 3 months experience as nurse to apply under the skills list- is this right. What I don't want to do is send my application to register for it to be rejected on the grounds of not enough experience.

With regard to the ILETS assessment....will my partner have to take this too. What about police checks, medicals etc- just me or my partner too.

Can somebody help with my ton of questions....???

my partner and I have started it look into emigrating to Australia. We recently went to an expo and took on board a lot information which just generated a load more questions.

So we plan to got to WA on the 189 visa on the basis that I am a registered nurse. I have been qualified a year this April. The process as we understand is as as follows...

3) apply for the visa

however having read posts would it not be best to apply to ANMAC first because being only a year qualified WA want at least years experience but I have also been told that if we apply for 189 I only need a degree and 3 months experience as nurse to apply under the skills list- is this right. What I don't want to do is send my application to register for it to be rejected on the grounds of not enough experience.

With regard to the ILETS assessment....will my partner have to take this too. What about police checks, medicals etc- just me or my partner too.

If you get AHPRA registration first, you only need a modified skills assessment from ANMAC. If you meet the requirements for both, it's up to you which way around you do it as far as the visa process is concerned. For a 189, the requirements are the same for every state and AHPRA requirements are the same for every state. If you don't meet the AHPRA registration requirements, you can do a full ANMAC assessment to meet visa requirements and then get AHPRA registration when you meet their requirements.

If your partner is a citizen and passport holder of one an English speaking country, they are assumed to meet English requirements without any further evidence being required. They only need to do IELTS (or meet the Functional English requirement in some other way), if they are not a citizen or passport holder of the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA or New Zealand.

Your partner must have PCCs and medicals.

if you get ahpra registration first, you only need a modified skills assessment from anmac. If you meet the requirements for both, it's up to you which way around you do it as far as the visa process is concerned. For a 189, the requirements are the same for every state and ahpra requirements are the same for every state. If you don't meet the ahpra registration requirements, you can do a full anmac assessment to meet visa requirements and then get ahpra registration when you meet their requirements.

If your partner is a citizen and passport holder of one an english speaking country, they are assumed to meet english requirements without any further evidence being required. They only need to do ielts (or meet the functional english requirement in some other way), if they are not a citizen or passport holder of the uk, ireland, canada, usa or new zealand.

Your partner must have pccs and medicals.

its such an insult that people from england need to sit the ielts english test before the move to australia. Imagine is convicts who first came to australia had to sit an ielts test. Haha.

its such an insult that people from england need to sit the ielts english test before the move to australia. Imagine is convicts who first came to australia had to sit an ielts test. Haha.

Other than for some skills assessments, you don't need to sit the IELTS. But if you can't reach 60 points without it then it's an effective way to become eligible for a visa.

Other than for some skills assessments, you don't need to sit the IELTS. But if you can't reach 60 points without it then it's an effective way to become eligible for a visa.

And its reciprocal.... I have had to certify that a degree taken in our university in Australia was taught mainly in English ...for students moving to the UK as their migration department does not believe English is used in our schools.

They don't unless they're the main applicant and want to claim ADDITIONAL points for the points test.

Yes what an insult!! Let's remove the English requirement for people that speak English and see how many can meet the points required then! Given English is your native language you already have a huge advantage over people whose first language isn't English.

3) apply for the visa

That is one way of doing it. But you don't have to apply to Aphra first, you could just get the skills assessment and push on with your visa application. Then whilst that is in processing sort out APHRA registration.

Thank you all for your input!! It's really helpful. Just to clarify the above comment...I scored 65 points for the visa taking into account my qualification, experience, English national etc, I also have GCSE in English so do I still need it? What is the requirement?

Also...what's the difference between a modified assessment and full assessment?

Thansk again!

You don't get any points for being an English national. The only way to get points for English ability is to do one of the acceptable English tests and get a high enough score to claim points for Proficient English (10 points) or Superior English (20 points).

The differences between a modified and a full assessment should be evident from the following:

http://www.anmac.org.au/nurse-or-midwife-registered-australia-or-new-zealand Modified

http://www.anmac.org.au/nurse-initial-registration-canada-european-union-hong-kong-ireland-singapore-united-kingdom-or Full

An important difference is that for a full assessment, you must do IELTS and score at least 7 in each of the 4 components or OET for a score of at least B in each component - the minimum required scores are also worth 10 points on the points test. For a modified assessment, you don't need IELTS or OET though you must of course have met AHPRA's English requirements in order to be registered by them.

Hi Larad,

There's a couple of things you can do to get the ball rolling whilst you're still deciding on which way round to apply.

You can do all the below without paying any fee's and you might find it speeds things up later on.

Firstly go on the NMC website and request they post you an application pack for a verification certificate.

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Registration/Planning-to-work-outside-the-UK/Planning-to-work-outside-of-Europe/

I did this on the 15th March and I'm still waiting!

There is no charge for this, however you then have the pack ready to fill in.

When you do send the pack off there is a £34 fee for the verification certificate.

The NMC will then send the certificate to your chosen APHRA office.

Pay them to do this as soon as you're ready though as I've heard other people say it can take the NMC a ridiculous amount of time. Don't worry about the cert arriving before your APHRA application, they will put your cert aside ready to be put with all your other things when they arrive. I've heard though that If they don't get your application within a year they will send things like certs back so think about your timing.

Secondly email your uni and ask them to prepare a transcript, outline APHRA's requirements (Criteria 1-8) Also make sure to send your uni the letter template in Criteria 2

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International/criteria-nurses.aspx

You can also email your schools asking for a letter stating you were taught and addressed in English.

Hope this helps! : )

Having an eligible passport means you are automatically assumed to have Competent English. You get 0 points for Competent English. You get 10 points for Proficient English and 20 points for Super English. To prove Proficient or Superior English, you need to provide the approved test results.

There are plenty of people who live in England who cannot speak or at least have English as their first language.

There are even people on this thread who are from England and yet have poor spelling, punctuation and grammar skills. :yes:

Archived