Driving License/TFN/Bank Account when Activating Visa

evenezia

Hi all

Assuming all things go as planned(!), I am hoping to go to either Brisbane or Melbourne around September time to activate my visa.

My girlfriend and I don't plan to emigrate for another 18-24 months, so this would be a fleeting visit.

I was just wondering about the following.

Driving License

Queensland give you 3 months from touchdown to apply for a driving license and Victoria 6 months. I have a full UK license. For me to sort this, could I put a friend or family's address down as my address? Or get them to come along when I apply?

Tax File Number (TFN)

Is is worth applying for this when I activate my visa, or should I wait until we fully emigrate further down the line?

Bank Account

Same question - apply now or when we emigrate.

We have friends and family in Brisbane & Melbourne so can supply an address if need be, but obviously no rental agreement or other proof of address.

I am trying to make sure everything that needs to be done now is done, and given the time limit on the driving license, that is a priority as far as I can see.

This may all be covered ground for some, but as always any advice or opinions are very much appreciated.

TFN - you have to be in Oz to apply for this anyway. You don't need it immediately to start work. See very recent discussion over at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/230337-tax-file-number-query.html

Bank - you can apply before you go, but you will need to take along ID (passport + UK driving license) to "activate" the account when you arrive, so you can actually draw money out and use your card(s). I opened with two banks and they both seemed OK with me giving them a temporary address - in my case my work address.

Driving License - I would like to know how this works for NSW!

I think that getting a driving licence in Australia actually invalidates your UK licence, though I am not sure if there is communication between the licensing authorities. So if you are only in Australia for less than 3 months on this trip then just drive on UK licence and get state one when you arrive for good.

Having just printed out the NSW application form it does need bits of information that identify you and give an address, or you need to get someone who has known you for more than a year and has NSW licence to confirm your residential address.

Don't worry about the driving licence until you actually emigrate. Getting one in an Aussie state invalidates your UK one, so when you go back home you would have to change it back again - and then do it all over again when you emigrate!

Just drive on your UK one during your holiday.

Cheers guys. My concern about the driving license is because the way I understand it;

- You have 3 months (Queensland) or 6 months (Victoria) from the first day you land as a permanent resident to get a state Driving License.

- If you don't do this you effectively can't use your UK license to get an Australian license without starting from scratch and having to take the tests again.

This is why I think I need to get the license when we go in September. I'm not concerned about invalidating my UK license as an Australian license will see me through until we emigrate.

Please correct me if I am wrong with any of these assumptions.

Cheers guys. My concern about the driving license is because the way I understand it;

- You have 3 months (Queensland) or 6 months (Victoria) from the first day you land as a permanent resident to get a state Driving License.

- If you don't do this you effectively can't use your UK license to get an Australian license without starting from scratch and having to take the tests again.

This is why I think I need to get the license when we go in September. I'm not concerned about invalidating my UK license as an Australian license will see me through until we emigrate.

Please correct me if I am wrong with any of these assumptions.

You are only visiting as far as Queensland Transport are concerned. Although you have a PR visa you aren't living here. You are visiting and leaving again.

When you apply for a Qld licence they invalidate the UK one.

When you return to the UK you can, as a UK resident, only drive on an Aus licence for 12 months. After that you have to convert it back to a UK one.

I honestly can't see any point of a tourist changing their licence to an Australian one. Wait till you move and in the meantime enjoy your holiday, don't waste it in Qld Transport offices.

I agree with Nemesis you should wait until you move out permanently. When we moved to Melbourne in 2012 my husband and I went to the VIC roads office to change his Licence it did not take long to process approx a couple of weeks. However his UK Licence remained valid which he is using now but this may be because we were on a 457 visa.

Sara

Hi, I arrived in brisbane in jan this year. (Absolutely love it!!). Anyway as far as driving licence goes I had to provide proof of residency to get it. My friends address wasn't enough. Also was only told it invalidates uk licence in Oz not in uk.

Bank Accounts we applied for while we were in England, we got all documents through by email and just had to make a date with them for an appointment to pick up cards - all very straight forward.

TFN - Applied online when we got here

Licence - Just went to the local service centre and swapped all over

Bearing in mind we secured a rental before we got here so all really easy for us regarding addresses, but the actual process of sorting everything was really easy.

We are in SA - Yes, that is how it works in here, i'm not sure on other states. We took our UK licences and proof of our new address and that was it, they take your photo and you get your new licence in the post, you pay $57 or something like that there and then. Service Centres in SA are where you go to sort licences, rego, tests for licences etc.

We are in SA - Yes, that is how it works in here, i'm not sure on other states. We took our UK licences and proof of our new address and that was it, they take your photo and you get your new licence in the post, you pay $57 or something like that there and then. Service Centres in SA are where you go to sort licences, rego, tests for licences etc.

Sounds useful... I'm finding that driving licence is used heavily for ID here in NSW at least.

I guess this is where to find them http://www.service.nsw.gov.au/service-centre

Hi, I arrived in brisbane in jan this year. (Absolutely love it!!). Anyway as far as driving licence goes I had to provide proof of residency to get it. My friends address wasn't enough. Also was only told it invalidates uk licence in Oz not in uk.

Usually (unless you were very lucky) they punch a hole or something simiar in the UK one as you can't have a UK one and an Aus one at the same time. That invalidates the UK one. Also you are legally bound to udate DVLA (or whatever they are now) with your current residential address. If that is outside the UK they won't accept it.

Usually (unless you were very lucky) they punch a hole or something simiar in the UK one as you can't have a UK one and an Aus one at the same time. That invalidates the UK one. Also you are legally bound to udate DVLA (or whatever they are now) with your current residential address. If that is outside the UK they won't accept it.

How the hell can they damage your UK licence? What if you're only in Aus for a few years?

EDIT: Ah OK, if you're a "visitor" you can use your UK licence.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html

If you hold an overseas licence, you are allowed to drive the vehicles covered by your overseas licence in NSW indefinitely, as long as:

• You remain a temporary overseas visitor

• Your overseas licence remains current

• You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or anywhere else

• You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driving privileges withdrawn

• You carry your overseas driver or rider licence. If your licence is not written in English, you must also carry an English translation, or an International Driving Permit.

You don’t have to get a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions, and can prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police, if required.

[...]

Permanent residents

If you’re a permanent resident of Australia under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, you can drive or ride on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months from the date you arrive in Australia. To keep driving, you need to obtain (not just apply for) a NSW licence within this three month period.

Hi all

Assuming all things go as planned(!), I am hoping to go to either Brisbane or Melbourne around September time to activate my visa.

My girlfriend and I don't plan to emigrate for another 18-24 months, so this would be a fleeting visit.

I was just wondering about the following.

Driving License

Queensland give you 3 months from touchdown to apply for a driving license and Victoria 6 months. I have a full UK license. For me to sort this, could I put a friend or family's address down as my address? Or get them to come along when I apply?

Tax File Number (TFN)

Is is worth applying for this when I activate my visa, or should I wait until we fully emigrate further down the line?

Bank Account

Same question - apply now or when we emigrate.

We have friends and family in Brisbane & Melbourne so can supply an address if need be, but obviously no rental agreement or other proof of address.

I am trying to make sure everything that needs to be done now is done, and given the time limit on the driving license, that is a priority as far as I can see.

This may all be covered ground for some, but as always any advice or opinions are very much appreciated.

You should definitely not get your TFN or change your driving licence. You are going on holiday, you wouldn't normally look to change your driving licence over on holiday I am sure, so why here?

:wink:

You our do not need a TFN on holiday either. All this will do is trigger you in the Australian tax systems and they might start pestering you for tax returns. TFNs take two or three weeks and you can easily get one when you make the permanent move.

You haven't mentioned it, but don't register for Medicare either. If you trigger yourself in the Medicare system, you have one year to take out private health insurance or be subject to age related lifetime loadings (that is bigger premiums) forever, should you decide to take out private insurance when you do get here.

As for bank account, I can see no value in organising a back account 18-24 months in advance either. It takes no time to organise and will keep. Exchange rates appear to be generally on the upwards trend so no good reason to from that perspective, although keep watching and if it starts to decline again, then maybe revisit.

In a nutshell, a validation trip should be a holiday only. A nice opportunity to have a look around, but don't do any of the admin stuff.

Your UK licence isn't invalidated at all if you get a Vic licence. I had two at the same time. My UK licence expired only last year but I have no need to renew it. (Need a UK address to renew it).

You have 6 months after PR to get a Vic licence. Make an appointment at Vicroads, take the completed application form, UK licence, pay for a 3 or 10 year licence, they take your photo and money and give you back your UK licence, and a week later your Vic licence arrives in the post.

In any case, it's only the actual licence document which expires every 10 years in the UK to ensure your photo is relatively representative of yourself. So if I went back to the UK any time in the future, I would just renew the licence. The qualification to drive categories of vehicles doesn't expire with the paper licence expiry.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went to "Service NSW" service centre in Sydney today, because I had to provide ID verification (passport and address proof) for the 'Working With Children Check' I had already applied for online.

While I was there, I asked the lady behind the counter about sorting out a driving licence, since I was in the right place.

She said the hole-punching thing is not true, although she mumbled something about they used to do it in the UK with Aus licenses I think. She suggested systems have changed "recently". Certainly Service NSW, and the MyGov centre I went to for my Medicare application, do look like they've appeared in the last couple of years and services might have been streamlined and made more digital.

Anyway I filled in a paper form on the spot, she took my photo and gave me an eye-test on a computer monitor -- all pretty hi-tech. I paid $53 for one year's licence. (3 years was about $120 and 4 years $150-something.) She gave me a temporary licence to take with me, which looks like a fancy receipt, and said I'd receive my proper licence in the post within a couple of weeks.

The caveat is that once you've actually applied for a NSW licence, you can't drive in Aus on your UK one... but since you're given a temporary Aus immediately one it doesn't matter.

Whether all or any of this applies in other states I couldn't say.

UPDATE: I also had to show my passport, UK driving licence, and proof of address. In my case, since I've only been in my house for a couple of weeks the only acceptable address proof I have is my first credit card bill, but she seemed happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my driving licence in my rain-soaked mailbox today, a week and a day since I applied for it.

But to be honest I'm just glad I've still got a roof (albeit with a few leaks) and electricity. The storms that have battered NSW the last 3 days have been pretty horrific.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2015/apr/22/nsw-storms-wild-winds-and-flooding-as-sydney-weather-brings-chaos-rolling-report

So I went to "Service NSW" service centre in Sydney today, because I had to provide ID verification (passport and address proof) for the 'Working With Children Check' I had already applied for online.

Anyway I filled in a paper form on the spot, she took my photo and gave me an eye-test on a computer monitor -- all pretty hi-tech. I paid $53 for one year's licence. (3 years was about $120 and 4 years $150-something.) She gave me a temporary licence to take with me, which looks like a fancy receipt, and said I'd receive my proper licence in the post within a couple of weeks.

The caveat is that once you've actually applied for a NSW licence, you can't drive in Aus on your UK one... but since you're given a temporary Aus immediately one it doesn't matter.

UPDATE: I also had to show my passport, UK driving licence, and proof of address. In my case, since I've only been in my house for a couple of weeks the only acceptable address proof I have is my first credit card bill, but she seemed happy with that.

I'm in New Castle and went down to Charlestown, to the local RTA. She asked for all the same documents as for you but the difference was that she gave me the licence on the spot with a letter saying that my overseas licence is now invalid until I surrender this one. I did also take it for a year as I think its really unfair for them to charge us every year for our licence cos the DVLA doesn't do that back home.

I was very surprised that the licence has absolutely NO information on it and we need to carry it when we drive (but we don;t need to do that in the UK) . Texas was annoying like that as well, they expect you to have your licence on a night out or even your passport. WTH, who would do that!

I digress, congratulations on the licence, if you can pm me, we can have a chat about jobs & other necessary things, I've been here 2 weeks!

Cheers!

Archived