School uniform help

Louzie

Hi there, I'll be looking to enrol my 3 daughters in primary school from July. Do schools insist on their own 'branded' uniform purchased directly from school? Here in Scotland we can pick up polo shirts/skirts etc in the local supermarket at a fraction of the cost - is that common in Oz too? Thanks!

Yes you buy from them. The money made from your purchase goes back to your school.

The money does not go back to the school. The money goes to the uniform suppliers. The schools buy in bulk and guide their buying based on orders. They make a loss if enough uniforms are not bought as they they have to make up the gap with school funds.

You can go on like free pages and ask if someone's giving them for free ...I gave my sons away in wa the blazer alone was 180 and everything I give away was in brilliant condition u might drop on ...or someone might be selling one cheap as chips ...I bought all again here but what he has now will last and will still be in brill nick wen he's finished he hasn't worn some stuff and I shall give that away too in November when he finishes u never know u may drop lucky somewhere :)

I hear you but I'm used to buying a pack of 3 polo shirts for a fiver...this will undoubtedly be a huge expense. Was hoping parents bought elsewhere. Never mind.

Remember to budget for booklists as well, that is where it can get expensive. However, you do not have to use the supplier the schools recommends, you can shop around and get items for half the price.

In a state school I pay 280 for the yr they provide most books on loan with that ...and u just buy the books they write in. Which are not much I get those 5 subjects ones around I don't know $5 ...pens and stuff I buy lots wen on offer ..and then u pay for trips ...not bad in state schools ....in private his book list was expensive , but u will find state schools ok :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips. Will be quite a change from state school here in the uk where books etc are all provided.

We are going to state school so hoping to avoid things like blazers - should be mostly polo shorts and shorts from what I can see. I actually hate school uniform and would rather they could wear their own comfy clothes but won't rock the boat when I first arrive lol!

Lol I love them in uniform ...all the kids the same it's how it shud be then there no arguments ...oh wait until u see the school shoes my lad was horrified lol but just goes with it now because everyone's the same so all good ....it's not that bad cost wise here initially setting up yea ...but after u b fine lol ....my son has had to have a blazer for his final yr I've paid for it ...it's a graduation thing they don't wear it yet ...he also had like a bomber jacket which is lovely doesn't wear it though too humid even winter he don't bother doesn't wear his hat niether lol I just got anything going but doesn't wear half of it but his blazer for his final yr was about $90 something like that :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips. Will be quite a change from state school here in the uk where books etc are all provided.

We are going to state school so hoping to avoid things like blazers - should be mostly polo shorts and shorts from what I can see. I actually hate school uniform and would rather they could wear their own comfy clothes but won't rock the boat when I first arrive lol!

They won't be able to wear their own clothes. Uniforms are taken seriously here and students and parents take a pride in their schools. Uniforms are extremely comfortable and the kids look great.

In public (state) primary schools, the winter jackets or jumpers are normally around the $45 mark. Blazers are generally a high school thing. Hats are also compulsory in all primary schools.

Private schools charge a lot more and the uniforms can easily reach $1000 in some.

Lol didn't mean to turn this into a debate into school uniforms. Each to their own...just my personal preference and of course it's entirely possible to have great pride in your school no matter what you wear. I fully understand the pros and cons just place comfort and flexibility over rigid formality. Thankfully the school we're looking at has a uniform comprising mostly shorts and tshirts so a great compromise for my family.

Lol didn't mean to turn this into a debate into school uniforms. Each to their own...just my personal preference and of course it's entirely possible to have great pride in your school no matter what you wear. I fully understand the pros and cons just place comfort and flexibility over rigid formality. Thankfully the school we're looking at has a uniform comprising mostly shorts and tshirts so a great compromise for my family.

Most state primary schools have the same shorts and shirts type of uniform (with school logo), it is the Australian way.

I think it varies dependent on school, especially State schools. Around here the shirts have the logo on, so are best bought from the school or second hand , the shorts / skirts can be purchased from the school or any of the bigger supermarkets such as Big W, Target etc as they are plain colours.

If you are on a PR visa and get Family Tax benefit you will get payments on top of your benefit to cover these costs and book costs.

Cal x

The primary school my youngest goes to allows kids to wear tops that do not have the logo on as long as they are the right style and colour. They used to allow jeans but stopped that this year, but the kids can wear any shorts or trousers as long as they are navy blue. Kids generally wear comfy clothes that they can move in as they do not get changed for PE. Which means a lot of kids also wear trainers to school, but these have to be particular colours as well. The high school is a bit more strict and the kids have to wear logo tops and school trousers. I think they can wear any shorts but we bought them from the uniform shop as they are really nice ones and not that expensive.

This is all right and well, but honestly, the look of aus uniforms terrifies me. It's prob ok if you have a boy, but my girl here has a white top or shirt with a lovely pinafore dress with bows etc

I researched the nearest 4 schools to us in Melbourne and am quite terrified of their look. They only seem to have one summer dress option (no pinafores or warmer dresses?) and i hate that check design here in UK too so we hardly ever wear it here (and it s almost never warm enough anyway!).

Oh, and no hot lunches?!?

Rant over

Hopefully these will be my only quibbles with aussi schools and actual teaching and facilities are brilliant!

This is all right and well, but honestly, the look of aus uniforms terrifies me. It's prob ok if you have a boy, but my girl here has a white top or shirt with a lovely pinafore dress with bows etc

I researched the nearest 4 schools to us in Melbourne and am quite terrified of their look. They only seem to have one summer dress option (no pinafores or warmer dresses?) and i hate that check design here in UK too so we hardly ever wear it here (and it s almost never warm enough anyway!).

Oh, and no hot lunches?!?

Rant over

Hopefully these will be my only quibbles with aussi schools and actual teaching and facilities are brilliant!

Do they not have a sports uniform? The schools around here all have checked pattern formal uniform but the majority of kids wear the sports uniform instead. The only school who insists on wearing the formal daily is the private school.

Cal x

Our school (and the other schools nearby) has a summer uniform, a winter uniform and a sports uniform which they wear one day per week. It would surprise me if there wasn't a winter option, since it can get pretty cold!

My kid's school has sky blue polo shirts with a logo on bought from the Uniform shop but many kids have ones bought from Target, Kmart, Best and Less etc without a logo. The shorts or trousers are navy blue and can be bought from anywhere. They don't have a PE kit. They can wear white or black trainers. The hoodies or coats can be from anywhere as long as in the right colour (navy). So you can buy cheaply elsewhere or just from the uniform shop. Same with hats. Girls mostly wear the same as boys but have the option of a checked dress or navy skirt, most just wear polo shirts, shorts or trousers like the boys.

In UK in our school at least they only wear pe kit (which is shorts and t shirt) for PE! ie they leave the bag in school for the whole term and only bring it home when it needs washing. It was a bit gross to me in reception, so i was washing it every week, but now chilled a little and dont bother.

So the girls wear sports trousers all day, pe or no pe? That;s not quite girlie is it (I have very girly girls, youngest refuses to wear trousers full stop - and her older sister only wears leggings with tops sometimes, only has one pair of jeans and never wears them either!)

Good they have the skirt and polo shirt option- what do they wear on their legs- socks, tights (melbourne does get cold in winter so I hear?) And what kind of shoes do girls wear, if its not trainers/ with PE kit?

I was thinking on stocking up on some shoes/ polo shirts from UK, but not sure what colours would be required yet.

Thank you everyone!

Archived