Is it worth the trade off? (homesick thread)

kellyjamie

We qualify for citizenship next jan which we will defo get. I think a visit back for myself is needed to reinforce either way. And to be honest i think it will reinforce why we came here in the first place, or i certainly hope so. And yes i do still call Edinburgh home, but ive always said i couldnt see myself retired here or buried here? But im hoping that by going back, when i return here i will then feel like im returning home. I have joined 2 mothers groups aswell.

I know it's a long way in the future, but if you think you may want to retire back in the UK, then look into paying your NI contributions from Australia. If you leave Australia before pension age, you won't be able to get your Australian pension in Scotland - and if you haven't paid up your NI contributions, you won't get a British pension either.

Hello everyone,

just looking for some advice please

weve been here 2 years now in brissy and i genuinely love life here. We have bought our house with a pool, hubby has a good job, we are financially 100% better off here and that in turn has just allowed me to have another baby, shes now 6 weeks.

But im terribly homesick. Now before you say it, yes im aware hormones will play their part, but ive been like this a wee while now. I initially thought it was brissy but its not, its homesick. Hubbys ok, has his moments but he can see my point since bubs arrived. We have no family here and a few friends. Im thinking of going home for a visit wit the baby see if that helps? My question is should i go home get it out my system or do i ride it out???

Im not one of those suffering from homesickness who despises all things aussie, im the complete opposite but im not sure if the lifestyle is worth the trade off of family n friends. My other daughter (8) said last week she likes it here but its not home, she cries every week on skype to my parents!

Thanks Kelly

Hi Kelly

We found it hard to settle in Australia, after 2 and a half years there and just maybe beginning to settle a bit our daughter was born there. We really missed having our family around us then to see her and also to help us and give my wife a bit of extra help. Seeing friends we met over there with our new born daughter was great but I remember thinking this isnt right, there were about 40 family members at home who couldnt wait to see her but couldnt, the people who should of been around us.

Anyway, when she was 3 months old we left for a 3 month holiday to the UK to see how we felt and for her to meet all her family. Nearly one year later we are still in the UK and never went back lol. We do miss Australia sometimes especially the weather and a few friends there and might go back at some point but for us atm we love seeing her with the family and they love us being back.

I really think you should go for a long holiday if you can and see how you feel. It will make things much clearer.

Yes if you will always call that home then it will never work unfortunately.

Might as well go back now.

Depends if 'home' cross right out from the heart or if it's just a figure of speech PC. 'Home' for me is where I live in N Somerset, doesn't stop me from referring to where were originally from as 'home' though especially if were heading back to see family. I might say, are we going home this weekend or is the next weekend? It's not home anymore, I just refer to it as home as that's where were from originally, a figure of speech.

No not really worth the trade off ....lol I know that now but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ...not because I don't like it here ...I miss home everyday ...miss my son my sons partner and now have a grandson ....I have had stick about that too , but people who give u the stick don't understand because all their kids r here with them . The reason I'm still here Is because my kids here won't budge now lol ...and I'm worried if I' hastily go back to my son my son is a policeman his fiancé a school teacher and what if they decide to emigrate in 10yrs time ...So I am at least hanging out for citizenship and see where I'm sitting then . Then u can have best of both ...and if the job market was better I do believe I wud of settled here better ...not that he's been out it is where he's going to be for a job so I didn't come here to be all over the shop I just want to settle , and I'm sure the digs I've had if it were those people in the same boat I'm sure they would not be settled niether ....unless ya don't like ya hubby and ya glad he's away haha in my case I love him around lol :)

More important to me is my kids and my husband , my husband is my rock , my kids r doing their own thing apart from youngest last yr of school .....

me and hubby r very very close ...I just want things back to normality , like I was use to, obviously I want house and pool lol what pom doesn't really if they honest , but that isn't what is keeping me here , my husband will still get a very well paid job and we will be financially better off in uk , because I will just have my mortgage which will only have not all that many yrs really in comparison what we would do here to pay ....I'm trying to please everyone ...obviously my hubbie has got keep the money coming in or we will lose everything ....and my kids love it and I have messed my youngest around enough and I've promised him to let him finish school here , and his schoolies , then he wants fly back for his 18th lol , and my son in the uk his mrs got pregnant and I kept a roof over their head until they could afford themselves which they have now ....so really me and there dad should have plenty of money saved for me and him , but I made sure my kids were ok because of the baby ....I know everyone might not agree stand on their own two feet and all that ,but what parent wouldn't help out their kids really and do whatever u can .

So I am making sure everyone is happy because I don't want fall out with my son in uk or didn't he already is bitter still about me leaving in a fashion saying I'm all he's got , so I live with that guilt ...thought he would of come out here eventually but baby came along lol ....and When we moved to brissie there was plenty of work on ...isn't now ...staff got laid of last week so whether ya a contractor or staff ...it's only a matter of time for staff go ...unless theve been sitting in the company since 19...nought dot and too expensive to get rid of lol ....so I'm sitting here waiting for boy finish and come November if it doesn't look bright his company ...my hubby won't hesitate again because how much do u give it ...how much time ...how much do u throw at it ...and being apart I didn't come for obviously lol although I'm fine and so is he and my kids well happy as pig in muck them lol so I will just go with it for now :):) and see where we end up :):):):)

and if I was a selfish kind and thought about me me me ...I wud of said come on hubby let's sod off another country let the kids fend for themself apart for my youngest of course ...my son in uk is 25 and my middle son 22 I was 20 when I got married lol but I carnt do that ...i need to make sure I consider everyone :)

I don't!(want the pool).I grew up in Oz using the great public swimming pools we had,and that's good enough for me tbh!Just a small humble abode would be good enough for me. Me and the girls used to make a day of it going to our local town public swimming pool,and the we would inevitably end up seeing someone we knew which was nice.

Hi, I posted earlier today about this see here.

I know everyone’s situation is different..we have family back in the UK too and would dearly love for them to be able to come out here too.

For me...I’m doing the same kind of job that I was doing in Scotland..and would probably do in most countries..no change. For my wife, her daily routine is similar except without family support. That is the tough part. Just having granny nearby for moral support even would be amazing.

For the last couple of years she’s been working for herself as a consultant for party planning / direct selling companies and has made loads of friends.

Building a local friendship group of like minded people has been the best thing for her. i.e. meeting lots of other stay at home mums with an entrepreneurial drive.

As I said, everyone’s situation is different, but for my wife this has really helped.

Of course, Scotland is still a long long way...but finding a way of creating a fulfilling life here goes a big way to making this home :).

Archived