Melbourne 20 months in and happy :) warning long post!!

memmymooch

Been here 20 months now thought it was about time I posted an update, hopefully some of you will find it interesting/ of some use.

As some of you may remember I had a bit of a tumultuous time getting here having to go through the whole leave to remove process with the kids then having my then current husband bail on coming with us and additionally getting caught up in the fraudulent shipping company saga. It was a very stressful time. Anyway I got through it packed up the kids and the cat and we arrived 19th June 2013.

I had rented a holiday apartment in the north of the city, on arrival I discovered this was actually a freezing garage conversion, it was grim to say the least so this together with the fact that my furry baby would need a home in 4 weeks following his release from kitty jail made me really get on to finding us a permanent rental. Wasn't sure on location so looked over a wide area my only constraint was it had to be commutable to camberwell as that was where I had a job lined up. It took me a couple of weeks to find somewhere affordable that wasn't either a shoebox or a complete dump but I eventually found a place in Glen Waverley, applied offering 6 months up front, was accepted giving 3 months and we moved in on July 12th. As a suburb the area wasn't too bad with a direct line of around 35 mins to City and a good little village area with cafés and cinema and good selection of shops.

I have since moved 20km further out to Narre Warren, the houses are much cheaper here as are the school fees and little things like eyebrow threading is half the price. It's an hour into the city by train but as I rarely go there that's not an issue for us as it's still very doable if we want to and we are served by the night bus should I feel the urge to go clubbing etc.

The first 6 months here I managed without a car, public transport is frequent and not too expensive. Services were cut back on early trains over school holidays though which prompted me to get one for getting to work easier.

Driving is largely the same as in UK and for anyone that has lived in a city of any size I wouldn't say it's particularly worse in terms of congestion or travel time.

The kids struggled to settle and that was hard they missed friends and family and being on our own here with no support was at times very tough. Since moving to our current area and new schools they are a lot happier and making friends so I think they are getting used to/ finally accepting that this is home now.

After 3 months my ex decided that he would come for a visit and validate his visa, he expected to just come and stay with us but Although I did see him whilst he was here I made him get his own place as he made his choice previously to bail on us. I have now divorced him. 6 months in I met a lovely Aussie guy who is everything I ever wanted and more, the kids love him and we are now a very happy little family. We are currently building our own house close to current rental and planning to marry on Xmas eve. Being brave and taking that chance to come alone to build a better life was totally the best decision I ever made.

Cost of living here I'm still on the fence about how much more expensive it is as wages are also higher and most things are proportionally similar as in portion of salary that they take. Rental prices are high especially considering the condition of a lot of places. gas and elec and internet I think are more expensive and you don't really get the same cheap season with elec as you need both heating and cooling to be comfortable. Water I would say is roughly comparable.

Fuel is cheap, recently it was very cheap at around $1.00 per litre, it has raised slightly now to around $1.14 equiv to around 59 pence. Food I spend averagely around $200-250 on weekly shop, I was spending around £80-100 in UK, I find there is less choice here especially with convenience type things like Cook in sauce jars and frozen goods. Prices vary dramatically on certain things as well right now white grapes are $2.00 per kilo but I have seen them in winter for as high as $14.00 per kilo. Cherries were anything from $8-12 per kilo a few weeks ago, bananas is another thing that prices vary from $2-4 per kilo and there can be daily price changes on them. I also think fish is quite expensive.

Something else I find expensive as a family is travel of any distance, air fares are high and accommodation prices are high. For just couples however it's not too bad.

Lifestyle in general I love, the weather is mostly good and it's a lot more relaxed here tho that can be frustrating when simple things take forever to happen. The outdoor opportunities are great with beautiful forests and beaches. We recently got a old 4 wheel drive and have been doing lots of exploring off the beaten track. Camping is very doable here as well and relatively cheap. Aussies in general I have found to be friendly and accommodating.

Things that I have found odd- people don't see the necessity of shoes here, supermarkets, take away shops, general shops; wet or dry you will find lots of barefoot people in them. The necessity to shorten practically every word. Derogatory terms that would be frowned upon at home like wog- used here to refer to Greek people, are seemingly perfectly acceptable. I'm frequently called a Pom with no thought to the meaning behind that in fact most Aussies that I met through work and friends had no idea what it even stood for.

Anyway have waffled on enough. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have. :)

Such a great insight into how you made the move and what you've been through, thank you for sharing.

My husband and I, plus our labrador make the move on the 3rd of August and are going to St Kilda in Melbourne. Cannot wait :)

I love st Kilda, would def have been my first choice if could have afforded big enough place. Good luck with move :)

I dont think I have heard wog used since the 80s. Pom is quite often used and is an affectionate term, not an insult.

Glad you have settled in well. I was going to say Glen Waverley is excellent spot to live but would be expensive if you don't already own a house there.

I'm near Blackburn and love the leafy eastern suburbs.

Wow...you don't let the grass grow under your feet, memmymooch! :laugh: Well done you!

I'm frequently called a Pom with no thought to the meaning behind that in fact most Aussies that I met through work and friends had no idea what it even stood for.

As already mentioned, it is normally used in a very good humoured way, just as "Kiwi" is for a New Zealander.

And it does not refer to convict origins and is not an abbreviation for "Prisoner of Mother England": that is probably the most frequently quoted error in Australian slang.

Wow...you don't let the grass grow under your feet, memmymooch! :laugh: Well done you!

As already mentioned, it is normally used in a very good humoured way, just as "Kiwi" is for a New Zealander.

And it does not refer to convict origins and is not an abbreviation for "Prisoner of Mother England": that is probably the most frequently quoted error in Australian slang.

yes, the true origin of pom is unknown isn't it...many theories but no-one knows for sure ?

yes, the true origin of pom is unknown isn't it...many theories but no-one knows for sure ?

It's known that it was first used in the late 1880s - 1890s - about 40 years after convict transportation had ended, so definitely not related to convicts.

It was first heard on the Melbourne docks where many of the dock workers were Londoners from the East End. It is thought that they used the term "pomegran'ts" as rhyming slang for immigrants who disembarked after 3 months at sea with their pale English complexions now rosy red like pomegranates.

Pom or Pommy is def used by Australians to put the British down. Every time sports reporters use the word pommies to describe the English cricket team I cringe. If you don't take it as an insult than good for you but whats the difference from British people calling people from Pakistan Pakys I'm sure they take it as a compliment. If I started calling all Australians convicts I would go deaf from all the whingeing.

Pom or Pommy is def used by Australians to put the British down. Every time sports reporters use the word pommies to describe the English cricket team I cringe. If you don't take it as an insult than good for you but whats the difference from British people calling people from Pakistan Pakys I'm sure they take it as a compliment. If I started calling all Australians convicts I would go deaf from all the whingeing.

Pom/pommy isn't a put down but feel free to cringe when you hear it and take offence as well if you want to.

Oh bugger all this time I thought they hated me but really they were just trying to be my Aussie buddy. So it's okay to put it together with b*stard or whinger? Like I said if you don't find it offensive good for you but imo it's used by Australians to label you as not being Aussie.

I agree with the above on giving as much as you get,on saying that in 9 years i've only heard it said once in a nasty way (towards hubby). I even refer to myself as a pom so really don't have an issue with it. I do think those that get their knickers in a twist about it make themselves a target for further comments.

Cal x

Nearly all the Aussies I have met absolutely love the idea that they have convict ancestors- in fact they eagerly look through ancestry.com.au to find them. It is a badge of honour. I think the term 'pom' isn't that friendly- but I never hear it these days, people are more careful not to offend than they once were. Don't think I have ever been called one in my life, personally.

• 1 month later...

That is a verry helpful post. I have been in Victoria for a few weeks now in Broadmedows. I am a single mum with 3 children but I do no like it here at all. I have not got any frends yet and the kids don't either. Any hints on how to meet frends, ladies or guys (for romantice interest) ladies for frendships and for the kids.

Loved how you glossed over the drama with the husband bailing on you, getting the kids out, the shipping, your ex's visit. Bet that was a laugh.:wink:

You seem to have a fantastic attitude, a lot of people would have not even made the move and been close to a breakdown if they had half the things go wrong that you did. Well done, glad things are working out.

The OP was fantastic- really positive and good to hear- a change from some. I am sure you will have a happy life because you have a happy and positive way of looking at things even though you have obviously had some very hard times in the past!

The lady in Broadmeadows- that would be a hard area ti integrate into- have you considered living anywhere else? I say that because it is one of those very distinctly Aussie areas with a lot of history and might be a bit harder to integrate than many others. Just my thoughts.

Oh bugger all this time I thought they hated me but really they were just trying to be my Aussie buddy. So it's okay to put it together with b*stard or whinger? Like I said if you don't find it offensive good for you but imo it's used by Australians to label you as not being Aussie.

B*stard is actually a term of endearment. If it is not meant as such, you will know about it. Somehow, however, I fear that with you it is not meant as a term of endearment, so by all means feel offended

Archived