Teenagers and braces

JEM44

Hi, we have a 14 year old who is about 12/18 months away from having braces fitted, he still has a baby tooth which needs to come out before they will start straightening them. Question is, we are due to emigrate not long after this time and I wonder what others have done with their kids treatment?

is it quite simple to find an orthodontist and is this covered on Medicare or is it a case of paying privately or do you need medical insurance etc?

Thanks

laura xx

Thanks for that. I will have to send him out to work!!

Cant get get it done on the NHS now due to this baby tooth, unless I leave him behind, which to be fair would save me a fortune lol

thankfully my daughter gets her braces off next month.

Hi, we have a 14 year old who is about 12/18 months away from having braces fitted, he still has a baby tooth which needs to come out before they will start straightening them. Question is, we are due to emigrate not long after this time and I wonder what others have done with their kids treatment?

is it quite simple to find an orthodontist and is this covered on Medicare or is it a case of paying privately or do you need medical insurance etc?

Thanks

laura xx

Hi, we have been back in the UK a year after being in Perth for two years, our daughter had various dental treatments whilst there.....cost us a fortune...and was quoted $13,000 for braces....we had private medical but ours only paid the first $2,000, I would defiantly check and budget for it as nothing is free!

Just start saving now. Even if you take out private health insurance there is usually a waiting time before you can claim. From memory, all the funds we looked at had a waiting time between 18 months to 2 years for ortho treatment. Even then, as someone else said, the max pay out was $2/3k depending on which fund we looked at.

its hugely expensive. We paid £2k, I think, in the UK for our eldest. Middle one was bad enough to qualify for nhs treatment and had her small op and 'blocks' in the UK before we moved. We were then quoted $9k for her simple fixed appliance which we were told she'd need for four years. A year later we came back to the UK and she went back on the nhs and her ortho thought the job was done, so took the brace off and gave her a retainer. Five years later her teeth are still perfect, so I don't think she really did need four years of 'treatment'.

Start a piggy bank!

Most orthodontists spread the total cost over 3 years.

That means that the $2-3k per annum maximum claim amount from private health funds just about covers the total cost if the cost is $6-7k.

My sons' orthodontist did anyway. We didn't have to pay any money out of our own pocket as the health fund covered it al.

Thanks

laura xx

Just had our 14 yr olds teeth braced privately herre in the UK.......x rays.....consultations...white ceramic braces top and bottom £3200.....all in

That means that the $2-3k per annum maximum claim amount from private health funds just about covers the total cost if the cost is $6-7k.

My sons' orthodontist did anyway. We didn't have to pay any money out of our own pocket as the health fund covered it al.

Ooh good tip. We e been paying major dental for 5 years now, so I'll give that ago.

Did the same.

Average from what I've seen is $ 6000. All my friends kids who have had it done have been given payment options so you don't hasvr to pay for it up front. Our 13 year old is waiting on a few milk teeth too.

That's pretty much the same for us. $6000 for youngest son, we paid $1900 deposit, then $270 per visit spread over the 2 years of treatment. We'll get back $1400 through private medical insurance over the 2 year period.

I had orthodontic work done in Australia and whilst my parents paid for the braces themselves (no idea on price sorry; it was 13 or so years ago) and I also had an operation to correct a bad overbite which was covered under private health insurance...which was amazing in its own right because I got my own room in a private hospital with amazing staff looking after me xx

Archived