Contributory parent visa - # of applicants

tostar

Hi all, does this estimation of fees sound right?

2 parents and dependent child

Base charge $3520

Additional applicants 18/over $1185 (x2)

Second instalment $43600 (x3)

Total $136,690

Didnt know if 3 second instalments are needed?

Thank you!

If the dependent child is 18 or over, your calculation appears to be correct.

Thanks, yes they are over 18. They will be between 25-30 when the application is made, is their any age that is too old to be a dependent child?

They will be between 25-30 and they are still dependent? Are they still at university or something?

Yes - back and forth between studies at work. Not married. Still living at home with parents, and they pay for his food/transport/living expenses. Tell me about lucky!

At his age, I think he would need to be a full time student to be considered to be a dependent. A part time job for pocket money is OK but I doubt if anything more than that would be acceptable. I think you should consult a good RMA before you go much further. They will look at the evidence of dependency and should be able to tell you if it's likely to pass muster.

The genre not expects someone over 25 to support themselves. So unless they are in FT study (PhD) they can be working (it doesn't matter if they're not, they are capable and are expected to)... Immigration will not class them as dependants.

I wasn't aware of that. His present age is 24 and it may be possible to lodge the application prior to his 25th birthday. I will consult with a RMA, is there any other information regarding his dependency I can source from immi?

Hey Tostar,

It is extremely tough to prove dependency if your child is above 25.I advise you to contact a RMA before applying for this visa.

If your child is considered dependent, then u only have to pay 2280$ as his main fee.

rich

Thanks Rich, I have contacted an RMA but before proceeding I wanted to clarify the costs. Dependent child is still 24 presently. Are you saying he wouldn't have to pay ~$40000 to be part of the application (first+second installment?)

IF he is in Full Time university study (usually a PhD at this age) he has a good chance of being classed as a dependant. But if he has had periods of working and not in Full Time University education consistently from age 18-25 then the chance of being classed as a dependant is very low

Hey Tostar,

If your child is considered dependent, then u only have to pay 2280$ as his main fee.

rich

That's not right. Where on earth did you get the figure of $2280? All adult additional applicants (partner and/or adult children or other adult dependents) must pay a first VAC of $1185 and a second VAC of $43600.

Yes sir! but he was considered as an adult dependent.We were asked to provide evidence to prove his dependency.

Any child over 16 is viewed as an adult as they are legally allowed to work and live alone..... but for the purpose of the fees for a visa.... over 18 is an adult and attracts full fees. Therefore you paid child fees and the OP will not pay the same as you but the full adult dependant fee. Ozmaniac is correct I am afraid. My uncle paid full whack for his 20 year old daughter.

Thanks Rich, I have contacted an RMA but before proceeding I wanted to clarify the costs. Dependent child is still 24 presently. Are you saying he wouldn't have to pay ~$40000 to be part of the application (first+second installment?)

Could the RMA not advise you?

Hey tostar

@MaggieMay24 is right! My son was 17yo when i applied for 143 visa.I even paid under18 category lodgement fees but i don't know why they considered him as an adult applicant during the grant O_o.When my CO was allotted i was asked to complete Dependency Questionnaire ( attached ) and to provide evidence for his dependency.Following statement was written by CO:-

Please have the enclosed Dependency Questionnaire completed and provide evidence

that the dependant is fully or largely financially dependent upon the applicant for the

past twelve months or more.

Evidence can include:

o Details of the source and amount of the dependent’s income from

work/pension/government assistance as well as total amounts of money provided

by the applicant in that same period;

o Dependent’s bank account records showing deposits/withdrawals for the past year

or more; and

o Receipts for payments the applicant has made on behalf of the dependent for their

accommodation/study etc.

I provided him evidence of study and few payments receipts showing that he is fully dependent on me.You can also give him statutory declaration.

Rich

Dependency Questionnaire.pdf

Dependency Questionnaire.pdf

You are confusing two different situations. One is the dependent's age at time of application and the other is their dependency status at time of decision.

The first and second VACs for a dependent are determined by their age at the time of the original visa application. Whether they are eligible to be granted a visa as a dependent is determined at the time of decision. Your son was under 18 when you applied for your Parent visa so the amount payable for his VAC and the second instalment were both based on him not being an adult. Because he had turned 18 in the meantime, you were then required to show that he was still a dependent before the visa was granted.

@Ozmaniac It all makes sense now and i completely agree with you.TBH everything after my CO allottment got a bit confusing.I didnt expected that my son would be considered as an over 18 dependent cuz i lodged my application when he was just 17yo.I thought they would still consider him under18.Anyways, Sorry for the confusion @tostar, you gotta pay full fees for your dependent child.Good luck ! and if you have any other query about 143, post it on "parents visa thread" (located on migration issues page).

Archived