Redundant 457 - now 186 or 189 visa?

citygirl88

Hi all,

I've just been made redundant on my 457 (after 1 year and 2 months). My 90 days starts now!

Rather than go onto a new 457, I'd like to find a new employer to nominate me for a 186 Direct Entry for Permanent Residency (as I now have 3+ years experience in my skilled occupation).

My questions are:

1. Which visa is better, 186 with employer or getting the PR myself and applying for 189?

2. Do I have enough time to apply for these, given I have to leave the country in 90 days?

If anyone has experience of the processing times please PLEASE reply!

Thanks!

Hi all,

I've just been made redundant on my 457 (after 1 year and 2 months). My 90 days starts now!

Rather than go onto a new 457, I'd like to find a new employer to nominate me for a 186 Direct Entry for Permanent Residency (as I now have 3+ years experience in my skilled occupation).

My questions are:

1. Which visa is better, 186 with employer or getting the PR myself and applying for 189?

2. Do I have enough time to apply for these, given I have to leave the country in 90 days?

If anyone has experience of the processing times please PLEASE reply!

Thanks!

Im sorry to hear that, we are still in the process of state sponsorship almost the same as subclass 189 , you will requured to have your skill assessed and for our experienced it will take time and you need to take the ielts too, had you check the points test in 189 you need 60 in order for you to be eligible to apply, i think 3 months wil not enough as per our experienced, but you can still ask others sometimes its a case to case basis, but if you can find another sponsoring company in the same skilled work you have then i guess you can grab that one and then you will have enough time to apply for 189, once you have new sponsor you must start completing your requirement and apply right away, thats all i can suggest, goodluck

Thanks for your replies. I'm actually English and a writer so IELTS don't apply thankfully, and I think I have 70+ points on the points system :)

You only get 20 points for English ability if you achive 8s in each section of the IELTS, for skilled migration, having a UK passport gives no points but meets the competent english requirement.

Do You hold a positive skills assessment? This is required for both 189 and 186 direct entry

Is your occupation on the SOL - required for 189

If your occupation is on CSOL, you will require state nomination if you want to progress with skilled migration rather than employer sponsored.

Given your situation, I wouldn't rule out getting an new sponsoring employer for 457, and work towards PR.

you should get advice from a registered migration agent on which visa would be the best and quickest way forward given your situation.

Thanks for your replies. I'm actually English and a writer so IELTS don't apply thankfully, and I think I have 70+ points on the points system :)

It doesn't matter if you are English you can not claim point for english language ability without taking the IELTS test.

You need to check you job is still on the skilled occupation list of the consolidation list.

If it is you need to check you meet the criteria to pass a skills assessment.... then you need to do this skills assessment and get a positive result.

You need to double check your points based on IELTS score and results of your skills assessment... what they can decide you can claim for.

Lodge EOI and wait for invite.... apply for visa, get police check and medical test done and wait for grant.

Only once all that is done can you get 189 and decide against 457. Assuming your job role is not on the consolidation list or you will need a state to sponsor you first and get the 190 visa.

Assuming you do all the above go for it.... but it will take a lot longer than 90 days. It probably longer than that just for the skills assessment.

Might want to reconsider the 457 visa.

Archived