Are migration agencies worth it?

Hi,

I'm looking for a 457 sponsor in Australia in my area of Marketing. I've been in contact with an agency called 'Konnecting' who has invited me for a meeting ($150 a session) to discuss my opportunities. The company seems legit, so I don't think it's a scam, I'm just curious as to the success rate.

Are these meetings worthwhile? Do they often find you work? If not, where else should i look?

Best

Rob

Guest Chewitts
Hi,

I'm looking for a 457 sponsor in Australia in my area of Marketing. I've been in contact with an agency called 'Konnecting' who has invited me for a meeting ($150 a session) to discuss my opportunities. The company seems legit, so I don't think it's a scam, I'm just curious as to the success rate.

Are these meetings worthwhile? Do they often find you work? If not, where else should i look?

Best

Rob

I would think that any "agency" that invites you for a meeting that they then charge you for is a con......

I would think that any "agency" that invites you for a meeting that they then charge you for is a con......

Yeah, I'm not too sure what way to look at it. They're plastered over seek.com.au and seem to be pretty well known, but when I emailed the guy, he told me they don't actually find work for you. the $150 fee is for a consultation where they discuss your opportunities, etc. Does anyone have any better options/suggestions? Not afraid to pay for good help! I got a 457 job offer through a family friend that I rejected at the time as i didnt feel i was ready. Kicking myself now.

Hi,

Best

Rob

I could advise you about the success rate of this sort of offer, but why not ask to have it in writing from one of their registered migration agents?

Of course you can.

Masses of people get a PR visa before they've even set foot in the country.

Check out the 190 visa.

The 190 is extremely competitive, isn't it? Thanks for the advice though, I'll give that serious consideration.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on methods of obtaining the 457 visa for example agencies who help find work?

Best

Not sure what you mean by 'competitive'.

A 190 is a permanent state sponsored, points tested visa with no requirement for employer sponsorship. If your occupation is on a state list of occupations that are eligible for a state sponsored visa and you can get sponsorship approval from that state, a positive skills assessment and 60 points on the points test (you get 5 for the sponsorship), you will get a visa.

What is the ANZSCO code of your occupation? You've said 'my area of marketing' but haven't told us the specific occupation. You can use the code to search the following website to see if any states have your occupation on their list:

https://www.anzscosearch.com/

Not sure what you mean by 'competitive'.

A 190 is a permanent state sponsored, points tested visa with no requirement for employer sponsorship. If your occupation is on a state list of occupations that are eligible for a state sponsored visa and you can get sponsorship approval from that state, a positive skills assessment and 60 points on the points test (you get 5 for the sponsorship), you will get a visa.

What is the ANZSCO code of your occupation? You've said 'my area of marketing' but haven't told us the specific occupation. You can use the code to search the following website to see if any states have your occupation on their list:

https://www.anzscosearch.com/

That's only from my understanding, that by competitive I mean they only take on a certain amount of people a year and you need to be an outstanding applicant.

ACT has my occupation on their list, thanks for pointing that out!

So, could you explain how this VISA works? I am guessing it simply grants you access to the country and not a job?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Russell,

Sorry, could you clarify what you mean?

It's hard for Wesley to comment, he can't really tell you not to go with someone because it's a con.

I think reading the comment he may mean just to ask their agent to put it in writing that they can guarantee you a job and visa before you pay any money, he may not mean that at all but that's what I would be asking. Most agents will give you a free consultation to tell you if you have a chance.

Concept Australia have an office in Kent,initial consultation is free as far as i recall,staged payments during the visa process,and a fair bit cheaper than some agents on here afaik,MARA registered too,very straight with you,if they don't think you'll get a visa they say,much to a friends annoyance,i'd sooner have that than them take money knowing you'd be unsuccessful though

As has been said though,plenty do their own applications

Guest The Pom Queen

Forgot to add I've heard of Konnecting and their director Fred is registered so the company is not a scam, it's just whether they can 101% guarantee you a job. I've seen other companies that have been similar and they have taken a clients money posted the clients cv off to a few companies and no job has come out of it.

How successful do you think i'd be if i sent CV's to companies myself, bearing in mind I require sponsorship?

Answering that questions requires knowledge of your CV, what you're looking for, and the local job market.

I am currently awaiting my 457 visa after directly contacting an employer and landing the job with them. So they have nominated me and I have applied for 457.

I don't see how any agency can really "guarantee" to find you a job.

That's only from my understanding, that by competitive I mean they only take on a certain amount of people a year and you need to be an outstanding applicant.

ACT has my occupation on their list, thanks for pointing that out!

So, could you explain how this VISA works? I am guessing it simply grants you access to the country and not a job?

It gives you a visa to live and work in Australia permanently. You are expected to live and work in the sponsoring state for 2 years. You must find your own job (no job is included with the sponsorship) but you are not obliged to work in your nominated occupation. See the following for full info on the visa and what's involved in getting one:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

Answering that questions requires knowledge of your CV, what you're looking for, and the local job market.

I am currently awaiting my 457 visa after directly contacting an employer and landing the job with them. So they have nominated me and I have applied for 457.

I don't see how any agency can really "guarantee" to find you a job.

Hi Mungbean.

I appreciate that, I guess what I mean is that if we consider me 'competitive' for the position, what is the likelihood of receiving a response as an international candidate.

When you applied for the job, was it listed as offering sponsorship?

When you applied for the job, was it listed as offering sponsorship?

It wasn't advertised - I was job hunting and I wrote to them speculatively. Had a few phone interviews and then got offered a job.

Fortunately they already have approval to be a standard business sponsor, so they could nominate me for the 457 visa. Once you have a job offer this is (supposedly!) one of the quickest ways to get sorted.

They are also covering my visa and relocation expenses, which is a big win from my POV.

It wasn't advertised - I was job hunting and I wrote to them speculatively. Had a few phone interviews and then got offered a job.

Fortunately they already have approval to be a standard business sponsor, so they could nominate me for the 457 visa. Once you have a job offer this is (supposedly!) one of the quickest ways to get sorted.

They are also covering my visa and relocation expenses, which is a big win from my POV.

Ah fantastic, best of luck with that. I bet you're really chuffed.

Yeah, the reason I'm rooting for a 457 visa is it seems that getting a job offer is the hardest part.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you word your first contact with them? Did you mention your requirement of a 457 visa?

Best

how did you word your first contact with them? Did you mention your requirement of a 457 visa?

Actually I knew absolutely zero about the whole visa situation. Their HR person was a big help explaining it all, and once I'd signed the contract they employed a migration agent to deal with the application.

As far as I was concerned I was simply job hunting, like I've always done, albeit across several countries. The Aus job was the best offer.

So in that respect I am different to many people here - I am moving to Aus simply because I've been offered a job there.

So to get back to your question, from what I understand it really depends on what you can offer that can't already be satisfied from the local job market. Which is either up to you to prove in advance (via a 190 or whatever), or it's up to an employer to decide, offer you a job, and then prove in their nominating you for a 457.

Actually I knew absolutely zero about the whole visa situation. Their HR person was a big help explaining it all, and once I'd signed the contract they employed a migration agent to deal with the application.

As far as I was concerned I was simply job hunting, like I've always done, albeit across several countries. The Aus job was the best offer.

So in that respect I am different to many people here - I am moving to Aus simply because I've been offered a job there.

So to get back to your question, from what I understand it really depends on what you can offer that can't already be satisfied from the local job market. Which is either up to you to prove in advance (via a 190 or whatever), or it's up to an employer to decide, offer you a job, and then prove in their nominating you for a 457.

Oh, so you just sent a regular CV? Nice. I've been looking on many websites like seek.com.au (like Reed I guess) for '457' positions, but I've heard that something like 90% of 457 sponsorships are never advertised; i guess your route is the best route to find them.

What city are you going to? Have you been previously?

Oh, so you just sent a regular CV?

No, actually I contacted someone in their HR department directly on LinkedIn. I had already met a couple of their senior members of staff briefly, well before I thought of applying to them, so it wasn't exactly 100% out of the blue.

I've been looking on many websites like seek.com.au (like Reed I guess) for '457' positions, but

I've heard that something like 90% of 457 sponsorships are never advertised

Sorry, I don't know anything about that. If there is such a thing as advertising a "457 position" then I imagine this is a post for which employers are willing and able to nominate overseas applicants...?

What city are you going to? Have you been previously?

Sydney. And no, I never set foot in the Southern hemisphere before!

What area of marketing are you working in and where are you hoping to go?

Archived